Fuming it is! *PIC*

Dear All,

Well thanks to Mr. Owen Shim and others, it looks like I am going to fume my little cherry clock with ammonia.

Here is what my test piece looks like set beside the clock,

compared it to a cherry table I made about 20 years ago, and it is even darker than the table. Fuming seems to make the cherry look as old as it ever will in just a few days of exposure.

I like it and I will keep everyone posted on how things are coming,

David.

rec.ww FAQ

David F. Eisan

BRuce

You'll keep us posted???

I wait with baited breath...

NOT!

the other dave

David F. Eisan wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

On 31 Oct 2003, Bay Area Dave blathered:

Unless you have a piece of anchovy caught in your teeth, that should be 'bated breath,' meaning "I'm holding my breath."

Why not? David E.'s work is always worth looking at, and he shares the results of his behind-the-scenes investigations into techniques, which benefits all of us.

You, on the other hand, can't seem to wipe yourself without asking how to fold the paper first.

Reply to
Scott Cramer

I like it! I'm looking forward to seeing the before and after pictures as well as the process pictures. It's always cool to learn another technique you can use. I've never tried fuming either as it seemed a bit complicated to me as well (my Engineering professors are probably doing a 180 as we speak). Maybe you can give us the layman's directions when done.

Reply to
Larry C in Auburn, WA

What do you use for "bait"? :)

Reply to
Swingman

oops! make that "bated breath".

dave

Sw> What do you use for "bait"? :)

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

Damn... you beat me to it.

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

'twas merely a slip of the fingers...but thanks for playing word cop.

dave

Mortimer Schnerd, RN wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

Wow, that sure looks purty. Wish I had known about that trick a week ago. Made up a little holder panel on base (looks kinda like a book stand, except the back is more vertical) for a bookshelf stereo system. The system looked fine without it, but the cat found a way to send the pieces crashing to the floor. Tain't no way she will be able to do the same now.

Point is, made it from a nicely figured piece of cherry (approximately

12"x27"x1/2") the father-in-law gave me. Would have looked real nice with that deep red-orange glow that only old cherry seems to posses.

Have an old cherry gate leg table and corner cupboard, both well over

100 years old, that just glow. The table has 2 boards that are approximately 22" wide. Nice to find a way to impart that glow in my lifetime.

DLG

Reply to
DLGlos

On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 12:35:42 GMT, "David F. Eisan" brought forth from the murky depths:

It looks interesting.

-- Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life. ---- --Unknown

Reply to
Larry Jaques

WebsterSteve

David,

Do you think it will get even darker from UV/light? The ammonia (or lye if you would have used that) reacts with the tannins. I'm not sure what light reacts with but I fear ( well not really fear - I'd say "think" but I don't do much of that either) that the piece may become almost black when the cherry darkens even more from light.

This may have been discussed already but with the signal to noise ratio lately, I haven't been visiting much.

Reply to
WebsterSteve

Has anyone fumed maple? My BIL was considering staining his current maple project, but decided to use amber shellac instead - due to poor consistency with some stain samples.

Reply to
Chris Merrill

No, but I have used ferrous sulphate to try and bring out birds eye figure, and I'm currently experimenting with nitric acid / ferric nitrate stains and heat (18th century gunsmithing techniques).

Logwood dye on maple is nice. Comes out silver grey and looks nothing like maple, but it's a nice '30s style decorative highlight on a light-coloured piece.

Andy Dingley

Whassa matter Dave - this thread not about you?

Reply to
Groggy

Groggy responds:

I'm just wondering what he's trying to catch. Baited breath..cheese, for mice? Or does he mean "bated," as in "holding?"

Charlie Self "Ain't no man can avoid being born average, but there ain't no man got to be common." Satchel Paige

Reply to
Charlie Self

you must have missed my acknowledgment that I added the "i". see post

8:25AM. at least that's the time showing here in CA.

dave

Charlie Self wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

I don't post pictures every time I turn around nor expect everyone here to await the next promised batch of "must watch jpegs" with unbridled excitement. Get a life.

dave

Groggy wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

Second that. I'm too stupid to even read the thread where all the chemical details were discussed, but that transformation sure was amazing! It's going to be beautiful.

Reply to
Silvan