Full List of Necessary Boatbuilding Tools

Picked up my copy of WoodenBoat at the post office this morning. There's an article on Hatian boatbuilding - The Sloops Of Hati's North Coast - subtitled: Vibrant trading fleet, scant resources. Some pretty decent looking boats.

On page 52 is a picture of all the types of boatbuilding tools at a boatyard in Cap Hatian: chisel (a sharpened 1" bolt) ripsaw rasp file (for sharpening blades) pry bar hammer twist auger plane axe hatchet

I haven't read that story yet, so don't know if that's it, or if thay have more than just one of each tool. I did notice it said the most sophisticated tool used by all boatbuilders in a jack plane.

These aren't rowboats they're making, either. They're sailboats, up to about 55' long. Lack of funds for bronze, stainless, or galvanized, fastenings, means rebar is commonly used in their place.

They only put out 6 issues a year, but WoodenBoat is one of my favorite magazines, and definitely my favorite woodworking magazine. I'm not that much into sailboats, even tho I'd like to build a Catboat one day, more into fishing type powerboats. But, almost drool over some of the woodworking on some of the boats. If you've never looked at a copy, you should. I'll probably be getting rid of most of my woodworking magazines, and probably most of my woodworking books, in the not too far future, but I'll be keeping my copies of WoodenBoat.

JOAT I'm busy now, can I ignore you some other time?

Reply to
J T