Full face respirators (PAPR) recommendations

Page 1 of 2
I was lucky enough to receive a lathe for Christmas. Between that, my table saw and my thickness planer and the more exotic woods that the lathe screams for, I've decided it's time to invest in a decent full face respirator (PAPR). As none of the wood working shops around town carry any, I'm in need of recommendations as to good models. The catch is I have a full beard, so I need something that works with that.
Any recommendations or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
--

Mike McDonald
snipped-for-privacy@mikemac.com
Mike McDonald wrote:

You must have a lot of money to get rid of. I have used (when forced to by OSHA regulations) used 3M products. The hoods hoses, battery packs, pumps and everything came to around 3,000 bucks. I hated every minute of being in them so can't vouch for their comfort.
I used either a North or Northern rig on a job where it was furnished by the company I was working for. Ran about 2,000 bucks. Hated every minute of it and had to wear it for 5 hours at a stretch.
At the shop, I just use a cannister type for exotic poisonous woods and have never had a problem. Sanding is the worst for me as far as having reactions. I can get by with a particle mask if my DC is working right.
--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.

Last year I bought a Bullard PAPR PA20 on eBay with two hoods and the quick charger for just over a hundred bucks including shipping. All new. Thing works great - wish I'd picked one up years ago. It's the first PAPR I've ever used - my first burp in the thing nearly killed me. ;)
I have one by SAS safety corp.
It has a compressor with a charcoal canister on it, and a scott type face mask. It might even be scott for all I know.
I used to spray imron and am also highly alergic to balsa dust. Balsa aside from being used in Model planes, used to be heavily used in full size craft too. Laminated between aluminum sheets.
Anyway, it is life saving, but as Robert says it's not comfortable. You dry out real bad, it takes a while to get used to having air forced at you. But it does do the job, just remember not to remove it until you are in a clean room. You don't want the dust to settle inside of the shield.
Mike McDonald wrote:

MM:
Try Mine Safety Appliance(s), which should have a web site.
Regards,
Edward Hennessey
Edward Hennessey wrote:

them.They only cost a couple hundred. I have the forerunner of the Trend and use it for wood turning. I also had a full beard and never found it to be a problem.
Edward Hennessey wrote:

them.They only cost a couple hundred. I have the forerunner of the Trend and use it for wood turning. I also had a full beard and never found it to be a problem. Its not for toxic chemicals but is great for dust.
Hello mike, I have been using a Trend for almost a year now and I'm sorry I did not get one sooner. I grow a full beard starting with bowhunting season in September and it stays on until springtime so any of the form fitting respirators are not efficient. The Trend is very comfortable but if you have wire frame glasses as I do - or large frames in general - you may have to set the head band a little tighter and higher so it does not move your glasses while working. I bought extra batteries so I can keep a set charged (24 hr per battery is recommended charging time and a set of two runs the Trend for 8+ hours although I have never run it that long in one session) I have seen a newer version in some magazines but never up close although I'm hopeful there will be one at the Timonium woodworkers show this weekend. I think Woodcraft sells the Trend by mail but this is something you should try on first before you buy- if at all possible. (Similar to a wetsuit if you are a windsurfer, for example). Ask if they have a "no questions asked" return policy. Marc (whom also uses his Trend when he rakes out his duck pens)
Thu, Jan 3, 2008, 6:32pm (EST-3) : snipped-for-privacy@qis.net (marcrosen) doth sayeth: <snip> Marc (whom also uses his Trend when he rakes out his duck pens) Ducks can write?
JOAT You can't always judge by appearances, the early bird may have been up all night.
On Jan 4, 12:03am, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote:

Seriously, they just wing it. Marc
Second the motion for a Trend.
I've used it for 6 months and love it.
No problems.
Old Guy

Looking at the photos of the Trend makes me worry that it might be top heavy. Have you had any problems keeping it on and straight? Do you bang the top of your head on things with it on?
--

Mike McDonald
snipped-for-privacy@mikemac.com
snipped-for-privacy@mikemac.com (Mike McDonald) wrote:

I haven't had any issues
Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
It's not top heavy, and I'm a klutz so I bang my head on things whether I wear it or not.
It isn't much heavier than my Sears face mask, and it is actually more comfortable because it's supported on my whole face, instead of just the headband.
The only problem is that if I raise it, it won't stay up. On the other hand, it doesn't fog so I don't have to raise it unless I want to blow my nose.
I had the same worries, and tried it out in the store before I bought it.
Old Guy
On Jan 4, 11:07am, snipped-for-privacy@mikemac.com (Mike McDonald) wrote:

I only felt it (TREND) was heavy the first time I wore it but I became use to the load within a few minutes. On a few occasions I have had it get snagged on a dangling light switch cord but now I'm cognizant of those obstacles. Hey OLD GUY, have you tried tightening the two knobs on either side of the helmet? These tension knobs should enable you to get the "hinge" tight enough so it will stay up when lifted.
Marc

Marc,
Actually, yes.
When the mask stayed up, the nuts were so tight that I couldn't get the front off to charge the batttery. Of course I COULD loosen and tighten them each time, but I'm lazy.
Might have to rethink that, if my nose runs a lot.
BTW, I found a new hazard yesterday. It was 30 degrees in the shop, so I decided that I should warm the mask a bit, to keep my breath from condensing. I put it on, and moved closer to the radiant gas heater. Too close, I guess. The fan sucked in some hot gas, and melted a hole in both of the filters. Got a bit of smoke inside the mask too. Damn--That's going to cost $$$.
Darn brain farts anyway.
Old Guy

Hey OLD GUY, Wow, that had to be very close to the heater to melt them. Not trying to sound like I'm lecturing, but the knobs are supposed to be loosened for each battery change and then tightened as desired after snapping in the two lock tabs on each side of the mask. Takes a little time but you'll see how easily the mask stays up once you get the tension adjusted the way you want it. And speaking of brain "farts", Bill Grumbine- the famous turner - was giving our turning club a demo and he was touting the virtues of the full face respirators with blowers. He warned us about the "Burrito Factor" mentioning that the mask will direct a full stream of "bean gas" right across your olfactory organs. Be prepared is all he said. I think most shops that sell TRENDs stock the pre and post filters as well as the batteries. My local Woodcraft has/had them on their shelf recently. Stay safe, Marc
I bought a 3-M PAPR because of my allergy to cedar; I am building a boat that will be planked with cedar. It is heavy and bulky but it does the job using a HEPA filter with a VOC cartridge. There was a recent price increase from $1000 to $1500. Dave
snipped-for-privacy@mikemac.com (Mike McDonald) wrote:

IMHO the best http://www.airwareamerica.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category ! and 2nd (and what I actually wear) http://www.airwareamerica.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category
Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
: I was lucky enough to receive a lathe for Christmas. Between that, my table : saw and my thickness planer and the more exotic woods that the lathe screams for, : I've decided it's time to invest in a decent full face respirator (PAPR). As none : of the wood working shops around town carry any, I'm in need of recommendations : as to good models. The catch is I have a full beard, so I need something that : works with that.
: Any recommendations or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
I have a beard as well. The unit I use is an oler version of this one:
http://www.envirosafetyproducts.com/product/3M-Breathe-Easy-1-System-Assembly.html
It has a faceshield, air fitration system, and a hardhat.
It works well.
    -- Andy Barss