full-face respirators

I'd appreciate hearing from wreck users about full-face powered filtered respirators (passive and positive-pressure). A number of years ago I was diagnosed as having chronic bronchitis. It's under control, and I'd like to keep it that way as I return to (hobby) woodworking. I have a full shop in my garage, and work with all power tools with the doors sometimes closed against the cold. I want the mask to filter to 1 micron or less. Comfort is important, as is ease of use.
Anyone with experience? Specifically, which models do you use/like? What level of dust protection?
DanD
I have the RACAL for the same reason. Works great for lathe work.

I have a 3M, not NIOSH approved that works well for wood dust. For things like cedar, it does not work since the allergen is a gas, which passes through the filter freely. The only real problems I have had are fogging of the inside on really cold days and sun reflection when used outdoors. With earmuff type noise control, the motor noise becomes unbearable. I have switched to insert type earplugs when using the full face mask. Dave

Ask this question on the rec.crafts.woodturning group - many turners use a full-face respirator. IIRC, Lyn Mangiameli even did a review of the various units on the market within the past year or so, so a google would be a good idea.
snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net says...

I use an ordinary mouth-and-nose 3M respirator; i.e., not a powered full-face model. Apart from the face shield, what is appealing about the powered units in comparison to the unpowered units? Do they filter more efficiently, or is it a comfort issue? N.b. I wear glasses, which are often an impediment with face mask type equipment.
cheers, abe
comfort with eyeglasses. with the air moving across the face, my glasses never fog up even out side in the summer. the other is that it is eye protection. working at the lathe I don't have to watch for particles coming in the side of my glasses.
the final reason is that I have asthma and the drag through a normal filter just makes it that much harder to breath.
BRuce
Abe wrote:

I have a powered full face Racal Air-Mate respirator and a non-powered full face unit from North. I find that I use the Racal unit 99% of the time because it is powered so it doesn't fog up, even in very high humidity which seems like what I live in this summer.
Phil
Dan Dresner wrote:

|> During the construction of my new shop I bought this 3M PAPR unit off of |> Ebay. Brand new...cost was $168 including shipping. I see others with some |> frequency. |> |> http://www.calsafety.com/Item/6800PF.htm |> |> There's nothing not to like about it. I was worried about noise and weight |> and neither has been an issue. During these summer months it helps to keep |> me cool by blowing air on my face. I'll never be without it.
Does this provide physical protection against flying bits? There's no way to get goggles on over it.
--
--David Wittenberg
snipped-for-privacy@cs.brandeis.edu