full extension slides for vertical partitions

I'm working on a project where I will have vertical partitions between two horizontal shelves. I want these partitions to slide out and if possible even pivot (i.e. 90 degrees on the vertical plane) so that they can be viewed on their broad surface rather than their end surface (i.e. what you will normally see when they have been slid back into place). Maybe I can ascii-art this (I am sure proportional fonts are going to screw this right up -- looks good in a mono-spaced font):

-------------------------- | + + | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | + + |

--------------------------

So that's two vertical dividers in a box, where the "+" are slides that the dividers ride on so that they can be pulled out full extension. Ideally, once the dividers are pulled all the way out, they could pivot

90 degrees left and right. The pivoting is gravy. What I am really looking for are the slides. Anyone know where I can get them, or what they are called?

If I didn't need full extension and (with luck) pivoting, I could just easily route a couple of dados in the top and bottom shelves to achieve the action I am looking for. Hope this helps explain what I am looking for.

Any help appreciated, thanx!

b.

Reply to
shred00

| Any help appreciated, thanx!

What you're looking for sounds a lot like the slide/pivot lash-up used on entertainment cabinets to hide/reveal the TV. You might look in that direction...

Morris Dovey

Ahh. Yes, very close. I am glad my description led you there. It means at least somebody understood my description. :-)

The problem with those entertainment unit type hinges is that they typically mount on the sides of the cabinet such as:

need them to mount on the top and bottom of the cabinet. I could almost use drawer slides (the method of affixing them would at least be right) except that I don't think they have any strength when used in that configuration.

Thanx for the idea though!

b.

Reply to
shred00

You could put a sliding dovetail in the top and bottom of the cabinet that stops just short of the front edge. Then have a block with a dovetail on one end and a dowel to act as a pivot on the other end. It wouldn't be truly full extension, but if you cut off part of the dovetail such that the pin is out further than the dovetail at least you'll get the pivot out past the front of the cabinet. You'd have to work out some kind of guide to keep it inline when retracted without scuffing it up.

-Leuf

Reply to
Leuf

If I understand correctly, you basically have a sliding shelf, turned on its edge?

If so, why not normal full extension slides mounted top and bottom instead of side to side ... this is what I use on pull-out spice racks?

Also might want to take a look at the various configurations of Flipper door hinges and slides.

Reply to
Swingman

Heh. Yeah, exactly. I wonder why I didn't think of describing it so succinctly.

I guess I am just concerned about weight-load and those slides on their sides like that. Perhaps I am over-estimating the weight load. The "shelves" will be 24"x13", probably 1/2" plywood or so, with various hand (mostly) tools hanging on them. Could get a bit heavy I guess. I have some of those slides for some sliding shelves for the same project. Maybe I should mount a couple sideways and see how strong they are.

Yeah, that is the sort of thing that Morris Dovey suggested but they mount against the cabinet sides.

Thanx for the ideas though, b.

Reply to
shred00

look, just put the panels on stout butt hinges, extended past the edge far enough that they can swing both ways. slides are gonna be more futzing about than they're worth.

Reply to
bridgerfafc

:-)

Perhaps I am not following... this installation is in a 24" deep closet, which is why I wanted/need to slide these panels out 24" to see both sides, and ideally pivot so that I continue to face the closet while I look at the panels.

b.

Reply to
shred00

You need to think sideways again ... there are many flipper door slides that mount, with an "L" bracket, to the sides, that will also mount to a floor and top (or a wooden strip mounted across the floor and top). ;)

I use these on computer cabinets where the computers are mounted on pullout slides and the flipper doors slide up, instead of sideways.

In any event, at least one possible solution to what you want to do (providing you want to use/modify commercial slides) is the same principle as the flipper door slide:

A vertical partition (door), attached by a hinge(s) to a vertical "follower strip", with the "follower strip" attached to and running on the slides.

The problem with the "follower strip" method, as it is with flipper doors, is that its width (plus a bit more for the hinged "join" to the partition) is subtracted from the useable depth of the partition/door.

But that may be worth the tradeoff, particularly if you have a deep cabinet, or can make it deeper.

FWIW ...

Reply to
Swingman