FU Aniline Dye - was Anoline Dye Disaster

Hi all, Just a follow up on my previous Ano(i)line Dye Disaster post.

Thanks to the always excellent advice from the Wreck, the project is not a complete disaster anymore. I was able to rework the dye job and this time it came out pretty good. As recommended, I ordered Bob Flexiner's book on Understanding Finishes. This is a very nicely presented, informative book. In it said that dyes can be removed by using bleach, as someone had recommended here. I got me a spray bottle and filled it with plain old Clorox. I took the pieces outside (to minimize toxic fumes as someone warned) and started spraying. What a miracle. The dye just magically disappeared. The wood was a bit yellow and I did raise the grain a bit but considering the mess I started with, it looked great. Next after sanding everything again, I thinned the dye in half; 2 quarts water to 1 ounce dye (somehow I thought I had read originally 1 quart water to one ounce dye). I used a rag instead of a sponge brush. The results were much much better.

Thanks to everyone who contributed their encouraging recommendations for this very frustrating project.

Gary in Virginia

Reply to
Gary

Whew -- fooled them again -- as we used to say.

Glad it worked out.

Read that book from cover to cover -- a few times -- then do a bit more=20 research. It will save many projects...

I have been using aniline dye with oak, cherry and pine -- so far so good= =2E

--=20 Will R. Jewel Boxes and Wood Art

power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those=20 who have not got it.=94 George Bernard Shaw

Reply to
WillR

Flexner fans take note: he's done a new edition, published 2005. I read the library's copy of the first edition, cover to cover, several times. Finally bought my own copy this week.

Reply to
Australopithecus scobis

On Tue, 06 Sep 2005 19:02:15 -0500, the blithe spirit Australopithecus scobis clearly indicated:

I pray he doesn't reuse the old pictures. Gawd, what photography in the old one...

"Now entering freeway, which is already in progress..."

------------------------------- Iguana: The other green meat! -------------------------------

Comprehensive Website Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Larry Jaques wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

The new one is rather nicely done - quite professionally. And a bargain at the $20 or so cover price.

It's saved me that in screwups already, and I own and have read a few other finishing books.

Patriarch, cleaning out the shop this week, and taking yellow cans to the recycling center...

Reply to
Patriarch

On Wed, 07 Sep 2005 10:17:40 -0500, the blithe spirit Patriarch clearly indicated:

RE: Flexner's finishing book

That's good. My favorite (by a margin of 3:1) has always been Jeff Jewitt's "Hand Applied Finishes.", then Flexner, then Dresdner.

I need to do a cleanup before any more projects, too.

------------------------------------------------------------- give me The Luxuries Of Life *

i can live without the necessities * 2 Tee collections online

Larry Jaques

had a look at Lee Valley this noon. Think it is worth the money. I was =

going to get it -- but I thought an excuse to visit next week or this=20 weekend and I can get more...

Lee Valley -- Toys for boys with grey beards...

--=20 Will R. Jewel Boxes and Wood Art

power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those=20 who have not got it.=94 George Bernard Shaw

Reply to
WillR

or clean shaven...

Dave