FT I need a bass guitar.

Page 2 of 3

Awww heck - thanks for that. Now I'll have the Bo Riff in my head for the rest of the morning. Might was well slap in a George Thorogood CD...
Whacka, whacka, whacka - whack whack. Whacka, whacka, whacka - whack whack.
Fri, Apr 16, 2004, 4:36pm (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@donotuse.com (mttt) does: <snip> Whacka, whacka, whacka - whack whack. Whacka, whacka, whacka - whack whack.
Really, that's uncalled for in this newsgroup.
JOAT I will feel equality has arrived when we can elect to office women who are as unqualified as some of the men who are already there. - Maureen Reagan

Let's not forget that Bo builds his effects into the guitar. <G>
I've had the pleasure of mixing his band 5-6 times, it was always a blast!
Barry
really? I wish I had found a yamaha that cheap, thats about what I payed for my epiphone, and all the yamaha's I've seen were nice but the price was about 200$ more.

there are some really great epiphones too, my keyboard teacher has one, It sounds great, easy to play no problems with it, and its only a little more expensive

I thought about that, but the routing for the insides always frightened me off.

Stewart-
Stew-Mac has a nice selection of unfinished but pre-routed bodies. See http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bodies,_necks , _wood/Electric_guitar:_Bodies.html.If you dig through their web page, you'll find strat necks for about $100, nice bodies for $150, and pre-wired p'ups for $40 or so. By the time you buy a bridge and tuners you'd be into it for about $400 though.
If I were "building" a guitar this way, it would be a tele. The low-end Mexican Fenders run close to $400, and you can do much better building your own in that price range.
$160 Curly maple body: http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bodies,_necks , _wood/Electric_guitar:_Bodies/Tele_Bodies.html
$115 rosewood tele neck: http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bodies , _necks,_wood/Electric_guitar:Necks/Replacement_Neck_for_Tele.html
$40 bridge http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bridges , _tailpieces/Electric_guitar,_non- trem_bridges/Modern_Tele_Bridges.html
$77 Wilkinson pickups: http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electronics , _pickups/Pickups:_Guitar,_electric/Wilkinson_Single- coil_Pickups_For_Tele.html
$50 switch/knobs/pots: http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electronics , _pickups/Components:_Switches_and_knobs.html
$30 tuners: http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners/Guitar , _solid_peghead/Gotoh_Oval_Knob_Tuners.html
$25 misc (screws, etc.)
Call it $500 for a maple-bodied tele with your choice of wiring and finish. All my electics (and my bass) are natural finishes, so I'd do the same with this. While $500 is getting into the price range of a decent new guitar or-- with careful shopping and luck --a good used one, you'd likely not find anything of the quality you could build at the same price.
Unless you had a time machine of course. In 1986 I could have bought either a new Fender '59 Strat reissue, a new PRS (don't recall the model), or a near-new Les Paul Standard for $500 all w/cases. I waffled about that for a month, but ended up buying the LP. I still have it, but now wish I'd have bought them all.
-Derek
-Derek

if this real world woodworker knew anything about them (G)
--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 02:00:46 GMT, Steve Knight

$89 pre-cut/semi-shaped kit on Ebay. What's to KNOW? ;)
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- Life is full of little surprises. * Comprehensive Website Development --Pandora * http://www.diversify.com

well you still have to build it and understand how it works (G) I got a pretty good trade going for a used bass.
--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes

pretty
<snip>
I have the other side of that trade...looking forward to it, Steve! Thanks much...
Scott
On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 19:26:51 GMT, Steve Knight

(looks down, shuffles feet) Will he play it for her, too?
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- Life is full of little surprises. * Comprehensive Website Development --Pandora * http://www.diversify.com

yes that's included in the trade (G)
--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes

an Ibanez is my eventual goal, the price being the only problem.

Really? that I did not know, the store I bought it from didn't tell me anything about that, I took it back to them when the pickups started acting up, after their return policy was up(30days IIRC) and they asked me what I expected for 250$, needless to say I don't feel they need my buisness after that comment.
As to the headstock - that is

with the fender type, the pull is much reduced on that joint, this is not normally an issue, but with transporting the guitar around if the neck is banged it has a much better chance of coming apart.(and epiphone, perhaps with their head in certain dark places saw fit to charge 30$ for a soft case that was much too small as part of the set) and the squire is a much harder wood in the neck, again this is only based on 5 instruments(3 squires and 2 epiphones) a friend also got a similar epiphone with problems too.

my teacher adjusted the rod, and then after a few days recommended the cardstock underneath, it worked when the truss rod didn't.

I suppose, but I do prefer a bit lighter as opposed to heavier.

indeed, but I do think you might agree that pink is a rather awful colour for a guitar, besides the plastic look which most paint jobs end up with. the wood body with clear/tinted coating guitars are much nicer, again most of those have a higher price. Ibanez are certainly nice, I'd definetly place them near the top of the range, but their price reflects that. and I believe the thread was asking for best cheap bass, I don't think anything Ibanez makes falls into that category, but you can get a squire bass used for maybe 150-200$ canadian.
Reyd wrote:

If you bought it new you should have received warranty information with it. Take a stroll out to the epi web site. You'll find the warranty info there. Oh yeah - I wouldn't be spending any more of my money in a music store that displays the attitude these guys gave you...

Both use maple necks so the wood is equally hard. The epi most likely has a rosewood fretboard overlaid on the maple, but the neck is a good maple. Most strat knockoffs just use a maple neck with maple fretboards. No increase in strength just a different feel under your fingers and a different tone. Tell your friend that if he's got neck problems with his epi to take it to a good guitar tech and have it tuned. The wood moves with weather and that's just the nature of wood. Like I said my guitar moves and I assure you it's not a cheap guitar. Because it's wood and wood has it's own way of wanting to move and its own way of responding to forced movement, you need to be careful and only adjust a neck about a quarter of an inch per day or so on the truss rod. If the neck is way out, it could take a couple of days to bring it back in an achieve the stability you need. That goes for any guitar neck.

It's always possible that a nut is cut too low, but very unlikely. I'd still look at additional truss rod adjustments - see above comments about wood movement.

Fully agreed.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@sprintmail.com
LJ said:

Aw, shucks. You really wanted to pay that much, too, didn't you?

Has she indicated any interest in woodworking yet?
"They" make 7/8 size guitars, so the likelihood of a smaller bass is good. Check around, visit pawn shops, ask the vendors on *b*y, etc.
http://www.edromanguitars.com/avail/used/used_guitars.htm Care for something out of Vegas?
--- - Friends don't let friends use FrontPage - http://diversify.com Dynamic Website Programming

not much but in my first shop it was not big enough for her to do anything. now she would only be interested if a friend did it too (G)
I think i got a trade going for one. I am seeing if he will throw in a small amp and tuner.
--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
Steve Knight wrote:

I play electric guitar, but I'm not particularly serious or picky about it. I have the ubiquitous cheapass red Squier, a pawn shop amp, and a DigiTech RP200 digital effects box. I have a lot of fun with it, and have never felt any need to upgrade any of my gear to something more respectable. (Though I would have to do so if I wanted to play a gig in some public place, so the audience wouldn't die laughing at me.)
Some day I'm going to get a bass too, because my one-man band really needs a bass player. I figure I'll go with the ubiqutious cheapass black Squier bass that can be had everywhere for something like $300, including a crappy amp.
http://www.zzounds.com/item--SQU320900
That's about the best you're going to do getting your foot into the bass door for cheap. Around here, they don't even show up in pawn shops very often. 50,000 cheap guitars like the one I already have, but the only basses to come through are expensive, fancy deals the pawn brokers want blood for.
Anyway, I don't have one, and haven't ever played one through the amp. I don't know how crappy the amp actually is, but it might be so incredibly crappy that it's a waste of money. I'll try one before I buy it.
You really *need* a bass amp though, so you have to factor that in one way or another. Again, guitar amps are easy to come by for cheap, but bass amps are rare finds. At least in these parts.
Everybody wants to be a rock star, and the bass player never gets laid. Evidently. Hey, that's GOOD news for your daughter. You should definitely encourage her to play bass! :)
"Silvan" wrote in message

I play bass, professionally, but I've recently been humbled ... at least to hear my current bandmates tell it.
Went to a wedding shower for one of them the other Sunday morning at a local club. The guy who does the Sunday brunch gig at the club, by himself (who we tried, but couldn't get him to NOT), plays guitar with both hands, and bass with not two, but one, foot.
He actually did a journeyman's job of playing, with his big toe, what we call an "eat shit" bass line to his cover tune repertoire.
It wasn't a pretty sight ... and I've had to put up with the jokes since, like "Unlike you, that guy played a REAL _walking_ bass line!" ... musicians can be unmerciful to each other.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/13/04

?!?!?! Lemme get this straight... He decided that learning to play bass with a toe was easier than learning a frickin' pedal board?
"mttt" wrote in message

with
Yep. AAMOF, he used the only appendage left (that could reach the floor and would operate a pedal board, that is) to play the drum machine.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/13/04
Swingman wrote:

Can't breathe... Walking bass! Laughter too much... Face turning red... Oxygen getti