FT I need a bass guitar.

Page 1 of 3
Well my daughter does anyway (G) She wants to learn to play and start a band. Though I have thought of renting one too. But if anyone has one doing nothing a plane trade would be a better way to go. She really needs a hobby and has not stuck with anything so far. So I hate to make some investment to just have her ditch it. She can use a basic bass guitar and maybe a small amp and it was recommended to get a electronic tuner. She has someone to teach her so that will help. If anyone has one to offer email me.
--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 20:30:11 GMT, Steve Knight

yes I forgot to add that I need a smaller one she is 14.
--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes

you may want to post this in alt.guitar.bass - may get more response.

I did well not for a trade but for advice.
--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes

band.
nothing a

hate to

recommended to

Look for a Johnson ... most models cheap at brand new prices (<$200), used for under $100 at pawn shops around here, but playable. You get what you pay for, but for someone who doesn't stick with anything it would be a cheap dipstick to see if that may change. Lots of music stores will sell them with lessons, on a payment plan.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/08/04

thats why I hate to spend chash as I am afraid it will not last. I hope it does but still.
--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 17:07:23 GMT, Steve Knight

I forgot to ask in my emails, Steve:
Why isn't your daughter (aka Teen Goddess) doing the research since it's for her own use/tastes/benefit? Have you considered that if you make her work for it, interest might not pass so quickly? (But don't hold your breath on that last part. She is, after all, a TG.) ;)
---------------------------------------------------------------- * OPERA: A Latin word * Wondrous Website Design * meaning * Save your Heirloom Photos * "death by music" * http://www.diversify.com ----------------------------------------------------------------

because it would cost me about 5000.00 (G) or this one http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category3035&item717190954&rd=1 since I can't find a pink one. but don't worry she will be working for it. time to get my shop cleaned for starters (G)
--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category3035&item717190954&rd=1
for
Nice bass... Not a BC Rich fan myself - too old. Prefer the Rickenbacker 4003 style myself. Agree with the small scale advice. Can really make a difference in enjoyment / learning.
Others have suggested Pawn Shops - you can *sometimes* find a good deal there. But IMHO, usually not. The thing to be wary of a used bass is you want to have a good tech shop identified who can do a quick eval and setup. Make sure nothings really hosed on it, it can be tuned, string heights setup, etc.
Not much help in acquisition, I know. But I'd try asking around some music stores. Sometimes they'll have bulletin boards with postings from folks who've outgrown or updated there equipment.
Don't forget to save up for the amp... :)

that's why I can't just go get one. I have no clue. but I may have a trade going on.

Amp after I see she is willing to learn (G)
--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
Tue, Apr 13, 2004, 5:17pm (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@knight-toolworks.com (SteveKnight) insanely states: <snip> Amp after I see she is willing to learn (G)
Reyd wrote:

FWIW, Epiphone has a much better reputation in guitar circles than Squire. You may have had a bad experience with one but that does not make the entire brand suspect. In the world of knock off guitars, you will find many more players, even good ones, playing Epiphone Les Paul knock offs than you will find playing Squire Strat knock offs. Wonder why that is? BTW, you'll also find a lot of players playing other brands of Les Paul knock offs which are better than Epi - look for a 70's vintage Ibanez.

Don't know why your neck joint is coming apart, but if the guitar is only 2 years old, take it back. Epiphones come with a limited lifetime warranty so if there really is something wrong with the neck or the pocket that's causing separation, Epi/Gibson will fix it. As to the headstock - that is the standard Les Paul backangle. The string tension is just fine and it does not try to pull the headstock apart. This design is 50 years old and is the single most copied and successful design in the world of guitars. It can be a bit fragile - Les Pauls are known for breaking the headstock if they get dropped, but then again, you're not supposed to drop your axe.
, the

Electronics (really - pickups and switches in a LP knock off) are a weak point on an Epi, but only compared to more expensive guitars. Be assured, the pickups in those Squires are not of the same quality as the pickups on a branded Fender Strat. That's the world of economy guitars. You don't trade off price without trading off quality. As to the wires touching - you've got a point there. Should never have passed QC - but then again, that kind of thing does happen, every day.
the jack on the bottom comes loose all the time, the

The bridge is a standard TuneOMatic bridge design. You just have to know how to tune it. It's not a difficult thing but if you're used to Strat style bridges, or trem bridges, then an LP style bride might seem "screwy".
and the nut was too low(I had to knock it off with

???? Knock it off with a chisel and then build it up with cardstock? That makes no sense. Did you try to adjust the truss rod first? Low fret buzz is a sign of a problem with neck tension. All guitars experience this with changes in temperature and humidity. My electric is a $3,000 custom built guitar and I have to tweak my truss rod twice a year as the seasons change. Changing string guages will also cause problems like this since you're really altering the relationship between the frets and the strings when you change guages. Same fix - setup the neck and setup the bridge.
so a nice looking les paul imitation, but not worth the 6

That's always the hard part.

That would be the Les Paul style... a real man's guitar... ugh!
as are all the les paul style

I'm sure it is serving him well. It all depends on what you want out of a guitar. Squires will never sound like an Epi but it all depends on what you're looking for in sound. As for reliability, they are far from the most reliable brand, but like I said, if it works, it works. As well, there are millions of Epi's out there serving just as well, being put through just as much hard work.

I'd place that Ibanez you mention above as the best economy guitar for the money. It's the best built of all of the economy-to-mid range guitars out there, has a very decent resale value, decent styling, excellent playability, excellent sound. As to color - red is cool - definately cool, but Tiger or Quilted Maple over Honduras Mohagany is soooo much cooler. There - we got it back on topic - got the wood part in there.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@sprintmail.com
(J T) wrote:

Agreed - Epi's come a long way since the 70's...
(J T) wrote:

the
than
I missed the original post here, but had to weigh in on this topic. First, if the OP is looking for a good but inexpensive bass, I wouldn't overlook the Yamahas. I'm a guitar player but have a Yamaha BB 404 bass that I really like-- bolt-on neck, alder body, natural finish. Sounds and plays well, and was only about $250 new w/gig bag. When I bought it I looked at the Squires, low-end Fenders, and most other basses in the $200-300 range and thought the Yamaha far above the rest in sound, playability, and workmanship.
On the guitar front, I tend to agree with the other posters here: Squires are really bottom-end instruments and many are almost unplayable. You're much better off with a fixed bridge in that price range, and the Epi Les Pauls are fairly decent instruments. The last band I played in-- a country/rock deal --featured twin lead guitars, one of which played an Epi every night.
While my main guitars are a "real" Les Paul standard I've had for 20 years and a Fender Nashville Tele, I've owned a lot of electrics over the years. Among the best of the cheaper ones were (again) the Yamaha Pacifica, which is a much better strat copy than any Squire you'll find. One can often find nice ESP or even 1980s Peavy guitars used in the $100-150 range. Going a bit higher (and with luck) I've seen Schecter and even G&L strats for under $300 used. Some of the Ibanez guitars in that range are pretty good too.
Of course, a real woodworker would just build one. By a neck, build a body, and install a pre-wired set up pups from Stewart- Macdonald and you'll have a better guitar then anything Squire ever dreamed of pasting their logo on.
-Derek
Kiwanda wrote:

Balderdash! A real woodworker would carve his own neck straight from a piece of Honduras Mohagany (none of that maple stuff for a neck), lay a nice slab of rosewood over it and painstakingly cut each fret in. As far as the pups go, I'll let ya slide on that one even though pre-wired is not really craftsmanlike. Better than a Squire - hell you could leave the neck off and have a better guitar than the Squire.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@sprintmail.com

Stewart-
straight from

neck),
Sure, but that would mean buying tools that the OP likely doesn't have $$$ for. Building necks isn't that easy without tools, esp. if you want to install a truss rod. But you can get a nice Warmouth neck for $100, then bolt it on to a body made with common WW tools.

Squire.
Remember the OP wanted cheap. Of course you can do better yourself, even buying old pups off Ebay. But this guy didn't sound like he knew much about guitars or WW, so it might be better to say "assemble" a guitar instead of "build."
Think about Bo Diddly's guitars...big slabs of wood, cut square, and bolted to stock necks. They sound just fine.
-Derek
Kiwanda wrote:

I'm sorry Derek - I was pulling your chain with my last comment. Yes, I realize he's cost concious, and that building a neck is a very non-trivial undertaking - that's why I posted it. It's sorta the way out, absurd rediculous thing. I keep saying I'm going to build myself a guitar based somewhat on the design of my electric and if I ever get around to actually starting it, then pretty quickly I'll have one.. someday. I am however - make no mistake about it - planning on buying a neck from Warmoth. I will likely set the neck rather than bolt it in, but that's really only a concession to my own preferences.