FT I need a bass guitar.

Well my daughter does anyway (G) She wants to learn to play and start a band. Though I have thought of renting one too. But if anyone has one doing nothing a plane trade would be a better way to go. She really needs a hobby and has not stuck with anything so far. So I hate to make some investment to just have her ditch it. She can use a basic bass guitar and maybe a small amp and it was recommended to get a electronic tuner. She has someone to teach her so that will help. If anyone has one to offer email me.

Reply to
Steve Knight

FWIW, basses can be had with a shorter scale (span of the strings) which are much easier to learn on than full length axes if she's a kid or has small hands.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

yes I forgot to add that I need a smaller one she is 14.

Reply to
Steve Knight

Look for a Johnson ... most models cheap at brand new prices (

Reply to
Swingman

you may want to post this in alt.guitar.bass - may get more response.

Reply to
Eric Scantlebury

I did well not for a trade but for advice.

Reply to
Steve Knight

thats why I hate to spend chash as I am afraid it will not last. I hope it does but still.

Reply to
Steve Knight

On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 17:07:23 GMT, Steve Knight brought forth from the murky depths:

I forgot to ask in my emails, Steve:

Why isn't your daughter (aka Teen Goddess) doing the research since it's for her own use/tastes/benefit? Have you considered that if you make her work for it, interest might not pass so quickly? (But don't hold your breath on that last part. She is, after all, a TG.) ;)

  • OPERA: A Latin word * Wondrous Website Design
  • meaning * Save your Heirloom Photos
  • "death by music" *
Larry Jaques

because it would cost me about 5000.00 (G) or this one

I can't find a pink one. but don't worry she will be working for it. time to get my shop cleaned for starters (G)

Reply to
Steve Knight

Hey, finally, something I can help out with.

Check out

I bought one for my daugher and am suitably impressed. It's a very good beginner's instrument. I play it all the time, myself, too.

Reply to
<mslatter

since I can't find a pink one.

Nice bass... Not a BC Rich fan myself - too old. Prefer the Rickenbacker

4003 style myself. Agree with the small scale advice. Can really make a difference in enjoyment / learning.

Others have suggested Pawn Shops - you can *sometimes* find a good deal there. But IMHO, usually not. The thing to be wary of a used bass is you want to have a good tech shop identified who can do a quick eval and setup. Make sure nothings really hosed on it, it can be tuned, string heights setup, etc.

Not much help in acquisition, I know. But I'd try asking around some music stores. Sometimes they'll have bulletin boards with postings from folks who've outgrown or updated there equipment.

Don't forget to save up for the amp... :)

Reply to
mttt

Aw, shucks. You really wanted to pay that much, too, didn't you?

Has she indicated any interest in woodworking yet?

"They" make 7/8 size guitars, so the likelihood of a smaller bass is good. Check around, visit pawn shops, ask the vendors on *b*y, etc.

for something out of Vegas?

--- - Friends don't let friends use FrontPage -

Dynamic Website Programming

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I play electric guitar, but I'm not particularly serious or picky about it. I have the ubiquitous cheapass red Squier, a pawn shop amp, and a DigiTech RP200 digital effects box. I have a lot of fun with it, and have never felt any need to upgrade any of my gear to something more respectable. (Though I would have to do so if I wanted to play a gig in some public place, so the audience wouldn't die laughing at me.)

Some day I'm going to get a bass too, because my one-man band really needs a bass player. I figure I'll go with the ubiqutious cheapass black Squier bass that can be had everywhere for something like $300, including a crappy amp.

's about the best you're going to do getting your foot into the bass door for cheap. Around here, they don't even show up in pawn shops very often. 50,000 cheap guitars like the one I already have, but the only basses to come through are expensive, fancy deals the pawn brokers want blood for.

Anyway, I don't have one, and haven't ever played one through the amp. I don't know how crappy the amp actually is, but it might be so incredibly crappy that it's a waste of money. I'll try one before I buy it.

You really *need* a bass amp though, so you have to factor that in one way or another. Again, guitar amps are easy to come by for cheap, but bass amps are rare finds. At least in these parts.

Everybody wants to be a rock star, and the bass player never gets laid. Evidently. Hey, that's GOOD news for your daughter. You should definitely encourage her to play bass! :)

Reply to
Silvan

I play bass, professionally, but I've recently been humbled ... at least to hear my current bandmates tell it.

Went to a wedding shower for one of them the other Sunday morning at a local club. The guy who does the Sunday brunch gig at the club, by himself (who we tried, but couldn't get him to NOT), plays guitar with both hands, and bass with not two, but one, foot.

He actually did a journeyman's job of playing, with his big toe, what we call an "eat shit" bass line to his cover tune repertoire.

It wasn't a pretty sight ... and I've had to put up with the jokes since, like "Unlike you, that guy played a REAL _walking_ bass line!" ... musicians can be unmerciful to each other.

Reply to
Swingman

I take exception to that remark.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

that's why I can't just go get one. I have no clue. but I may have a trade going on.

Amp after I see she is willing to learn (G)

Reply to
Steve Knight

Tue, Apr 13, 2004, 5:17pm (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@knight-toolworks.com (Steve=A0Knight) insanely states: Amp after I see she is willing to learn (G)

No, amp after she starts practicing at someone else's house.

JOAT Don't e-mail me while I'm breathing.

Reply to
J T

?!?!?! Lemme get this straight... He decided that learning to play bass with a toe was easier than learning a frickin' pedal board?

Reply to
mttt

276. I bought one for my daugher and am suitably impressed. It's a very good

That's not a bad idea either. I got hooked with inexpensive Japanese Les Paul and SG copies, for about $99 each. Both were a b*tch to setup, had to actually reverse the bridge on the SG to make it work. But it was an inexpensive way to find out if you're going to stick with it.

Reply to
mttt

Can't breathe... Walking bass! Laughter too much... Face turning red... Oxygen getti

Reply to
Silvan