FS: Vintage Delta Unisaw in Milwaukee, WI

I have a 1945 Unisaw for sale in Milwaukee. It has a 1 HP, 1 PH bullet style motor that runs like new. Jetlock fence, original switch plate. Internals are in great shape, the cabinet would need some work if you want it to look pretty. Email me at wowbagger9 at yahoo dot com if you would like pictures. Local pickup only. Asking $750.00.

Just curious, why would anyone pay $750 for a 60 year old 1hp saw? What is so great about it?

Because that saw is every bit as good as one that costs $1500 or more today, and those old 1HP motors are more like today's 2HP, or so I'm told. Even if you bought a Baldor replacement, you'd have as good or better saw for a little over a grand. Still less than new, by a third.
- - LRod
Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999
http://www.woodbutcher.net

Basically my response would be the same as above. This saw will outlast you and your kids if taken care of properly. The mass of the unisaw provides a more stable saw, with little to no vibration (mine will actually pass the "dime test" much less the "nickel test"). These older repulsion-induction motors, while rated for less horsepower than the newer motors, deliver a greater amount of torque and provide at least the same amount of cutting power as the new motors. The design of the unisaw has not changed in 65 years, except perhaps that the older ones are actually beefier in terms of their internal components, and the base is cast iron, not sheet metal like on the newer ones. Also, down the road if you want to sell it, you could get your money back. As soon as you walk out the door with a new contrators saw, the resale cost would be a lot less than what you paid for it...
dave
The repulsion-induction motor will be difficult to find carbons for, however.

Not really George. Just find a reputable motor shop - they love working on the old R/I motors, and they have no problem locating brushes.
Besides, you only need to replace them once every 5-10 years, unless you're using the saw 8 hours a day, 5 days a week.
Resto Rick, proud owner of an old Unisaur...
Last set for our shop had to come _from_ Milwaukee. Guess that's one of the problems of living where there are more trees than people. We have two motor shops, but they had to get out of their normal ordering catalogs to find 'em.
We've got four RIs in various tools, from cabinet saw to jointer.
says...

toller wrote:

sigh...
Onna 'count of there are two types of people in the world.

It's one of those, "if you have to ask..." things.
UA100, vintage, really vintage, Unisaw owner...

So are YOU the vintage owner or are you the owner of a vitage Unisaw?
{:>
Mike
The Davenports wrote:

Yes.
OK, the Unisaw is actually 16 years more vintage than myself.
UA100
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (David C.) wrote in message

Pictures can be seen here:
http://home.wi.rr.com/charnons/tools/unisaw.html