FS: Make Your Own Wye Adapters

Hey guys, as occasional poster here (look it up, I swear!) I hope I'm not offending anyone with my items for sale. I see Ed sells his excellent TS Aligner here, so it shouldn't be a big deal.

I've created templates with some CAD software that allow you to make your own Wye adapters for your dust collection systems using cheap ductwork that you buy from the borg.. When I put together my system about 3 years ago, I made all the adapters and saved probably $300. You can make one for about 5 bucks.

So I finally got off my butt and wrote up on instructions on how all of this is done, and would like to try to make a couple of bucks for my efforts.

can see my dust collection and work shop at

Larry Bud

recall your name. One of the things we all do here though, is share ideas. Personally, I'd have a hard time paying $15 for some downloaded templates and instructions but I wish you luck with the sales.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

That's fine. The CAD software was over 100 bucks, so I'm just trying to recoup some of the cost. I figure since 1 Wye adapter is more than $20, you can make as many as you want with the template.

Reply to
Larry Bud

I seem to have seen these posted on a website for free download some time back. I think I printed them from the pdf files. They should be on one of my hard drives, unless the it's the one I left a gdisk floppy on one time:-( Joe looking now

Reply to
Joe Gorman

Not from me. I created these from scratch from a sheet metal cad program. It's pretty cool, you create your pieces, intersect them, "subtract" the pieces from each other, and the program will "unfold" the sheet metal, giving you the outline. But if you can find them for free, more power to you.

Reply to
Larry Bud

I, personally, applaud your effort as highly appropriate and in the best interests of the Newsgroup. It provides a money-saving DIY approach to an otherwise very expensive component of larger or 'in-between' size, all-metal ducting systems. Anything that promotes more widespread use of effective dust collection in woodworking shops has to be a good thing.

I do have some reservations, however, about relying on tape to permanently join sheet metal butt-joints. I would suggest that you (or your users) refine your templates a bit further to include multiple tabs that allow joining with inexpensive pop-rivets. After (or before) the joints are riveted, tape can be applied to prevent air leakage.

Obviously, anyone who objects to spending $15 for a set of your templates is free to make his own templates using either CAD or manual drafting techniques explained in any good drafting textbook. Hint: his templates are less expensive than the textbook or a CAD program with automatic joint development capabilities.

Disclaimer: I have no connection whatever to the OP (original poster).

David Merrill

Reply to
David Merrill

David Merrill wrote:

Thank David. Certainly joints could be rivited, and I could probably easily include "tabs" that could be cut out where the rivet could go. I'll give it a try. I will say that I haven't had any problem with the tape coming apart.

I guess I find it kinda funny that people would object to $15 when 1 Y adapter costs more than that to buy, which is why I designed these for myself in the first place. The idea of spending as much for a few Y fittings as what my Jet DC costs made me choke (and not from the dust!)

Reply to
Larry Bud

I sell my skills (as in my job), but I give away my knowledge. Just the way I am, I guess. You get better rewards that way.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

And the pity is, there are so many people who think rewards mean money and/or power. If we could just get the bean counters to "monetize" kindness, consideration for others, generosity, goodness - maybe we'd have a lot more millionaires. For sure, the world would be a better place to live in.

Here's what I don't understand about Larry's approach to things, or at least his approach in this instance. He figured out how to make his own sheet metal wye adapters and bough a CAD package to do instructions on how to make them. That will allow him to make more later, if need be, and not have to reinvent the process/procedure. Makes sense - I often do the same thing.

But when I've got a set of instructions that works for me I already have my ROI. I put them up on my WWing site 'cause I can't lose them that way. If those instructions will get someone else to try something they didn't think they could do, or makes it easier for them to do it - well that's gravy.

I've had some great mentors. They shared a lot of technical knowledge. But far more imporant - they demonstrated an approach to life that worked very well for them - lend a hand when you can. And the rewards? Well there are some things moeny can't buy.

ED - good for you.

Laryy - good luck with your ebay endeavor.

charlie b

Reply to
charlie b