FS 30% off summer sale lots of cool planes and new tools to see.

Page 2 of 3

I don't notice myself getting a particular amount of heat, oddly enough. But even if I do/did, why should that make me not want to express my opinion?

If you don't care for my posts, there's an easy solution.

And mine as well. You're a weird dude. Enjoy your life.

Indeed. It's almost as if you relish the idea. How's that job in Norway coming along for me?
JP

Um, right.

The person I forwarded your message to expressed concern about your name apparently changing. I'm guessing from your question that he chose not to contact you, although I have noticed that it's not unusual for Norwegians to have a much more casual attitude about speedy responses. I don't feel that it's appropriate to rush him, so I won't be.

Um, yeah. Have you considered that you don't get a lot of heat anymore because a large portion of the regulars here find you annoying enough to completely ignore you?

Sweet. I'm holding my breath. Name never changed, I just revealed to you that I use a nym for usenet purposes to avoid the wrath of kooks. Your alter ego on rec.skiing.alpine created an environment where that was advisable. (BTW, Jay Pique = Jay Peak)
JP ************** I had an imaginary friend once too.

I have never received any feedback to indicate such.

I wouldn't, but that's up to you.

Oh, I understand, but he seemed not to. Not my decision to make, y'seee.

Ah, so you DO have me confused with someone else. I don't ski, I don't recall having encountered you before, and I don't know what or who a "Jay Peak" is supposed to represent. If someone is posting as me over there, I'd be interested in seeing some headers; my email address, as you know, does work. To the best of my knowledge, if I have ever posted on rec.skiing.alpine, it was as an un-noticed crosspost.

Jesus H. Dave, are you really that deluded? Up until now this was just a little flame-fest to probe the depth of your...uhhh...uniqueness, but good god man you REALLY need to pull your head out of your ass.

Come on Dave, admit it - there really isn't any Norwegian friend, is there?

No, I'm just comparing you to an individual that posts over there. I don't think you're *actually* him.
Make this next post a real doozie Dave - a real zinger - because you've just about bored me to the point where I'm not likely to respond.
JP ****************** It's all been done before.

About a dozen of 'em, but the one specific person I mean, yeah, him too.

I'm sure that this is intended to be an insult of some sort, but y'see those only are effective when the target has the first clue (or cares) what the hell you're talking about.

I'm afraid you're going to have to find someone else's time to waste. <plonk>

Oh man - you mean you have a veritable gang of friends in Norway and you only were going to recommend a virtual stranger from internet to ONE of them? Now I don't feel so bad about not being nice to you.
JP ********** Wheeeee!

No no - that doesn't count. I snubbed you first.
JP **************************** Posting with abandon.
Thu, Jul 29, 2004, 5:19am (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@telus.net (ChrisMelanson) says: Please re read my last post and try and understand my point. I asked " How would you like that if the Borg started advertising there sales here?" <snip>
Yeah, I understood it when I read it. OK, you get someone from the Borg to become a contributing member to this forum, a valuable contributing member that is, and I won't object to advertising specials, as long as it's not a weekly thing. I doubt that's happen.
And, I hate the Borg.
Harbor Freight now, if you can talk one of them into it. LOL
JOAT The highway of fear is the road to defeat. - Bazooka Joe JERUSALEM RIDGE http://www.banjer.com/midi/jerridge.mid
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote in (ChrisMelanson)

You mean, like when HD was clearing out KBodies? Or Miter Saw Utility Vehicles? Or maple veneer plywood?
THOSE weren't ads? Just word of mouth between friends and acquaintances?
Sort of like Steve's planes?
Patriarch
    Greetings and Salutations...
On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 05:19:54 GMT, "Chris Melanson"

    Looks like the long, hot summer is getting to EVERYONE.     WIthout jumping too far into the flame war...I glanced at the ad, and, my first thought was "great...still can't afford them (heavy sigh)". My first thought was NOT "How DARE he post a small notice about fine woodworking tools to a forum devoted to working wood!"     Let's all take a chill pill, kick back with a tall, cool drink, and just move on. The posting was small, within the guidelines of commercial postings, and as others have pointed out, Knight has been a good contributor to the group for a long time. I for one have enjoyed hearing of his success in a niche field...and do think he makes some really great tools, tools that combine utility and beauty.     Regards     Dave Mundt
<snip>

Well, it looks like you're the only one. To every other single response in ths thread, there's a big f'ing difference. Are you starting to get a hint? Here's an idea, since you seem to be alone in your having an issue with Steve's posting, create a filter in your newsreader that rejects "FS" postings.
Actually, when I read your first response, I had the distinct impression you were a sockpuppet of one of the more disgruntled rec members who didn't have anything better to do than register complaints.
todd
By the way, since you've generously allowed people other than Steve to refer to his web site, I'd just like to point out that his web site is www.knight-toolworks.com I hear he's having a sale. I encourage everyone to buy a plane or two tomorrow.
Maybe you should follow some of your own advice.... Sometimes ya just gotta love Google... Steve has contributed a lot to this group and I have no problem with his advertising at all... One of these days I am gonna order a plane or two from him.
Like you said, "If you do not like it try first to IGNORE IT or even better try a filter".......OK?
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Subject: Re: OT - FOLLOW-UP 1: Potty-mouth Charlie Self Lines: 91 X-Priority: 3 X-MSMail-Priority: Normal X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2800.1409 X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2800.1409
Date: Thu, 06 May 2004 00:49:10 GMT NNTP-Posting-Host: 206.116.175.197 X-Trace: clgrps13 1083804550 206.116.175.197 (Wed, 05 May 2004 18:49:10 MDT) NNTP-Posting-Date: Wed, 05 May 2004 18:49:10 MDT
For some reason the first post did not seem to go through sorry if this is a repost
What is the real problem here ? Did someone's feelings get hurt over a few swear words. If you do not like it IGNORE it. It is that simple OK. I am not a Christian but I have to put up with all the god bless this and that but I chose to IGNORE it because I believe in freedom of speech and that everyone has the right to it. I swear like a drunken sailor on leave around the shop. But when I am having a discussion on a news group I refrain from swearing as it usually just takes away from the topic at hand . But I am not going to jump up and down stamping my feet because somebody posts some swearing. If you do not like it try first to IGNORE IT or even better try a filter.
[......... rest of long post deleted .........]

if
do
answers
everyone
Chris Melanson wrote:

Depends on how you define "new". Some of the participants have been here since the early '90s or before.

He could do that and probably does. That doesn't mean that he shouldn't inform is "friends" on rec.woodworking that he's having a sale.

Why not?

"Edict"? Earth to Chris, nobody has the power to enforce "edicts" on an unmoderated newsgroup. It is established by custom that regular participants may post the occasional advertisement.

Steve exchanges ideas and answers questions better than just about anybody else in the newsgroup. He is known and trusted in this particular community and he has earned that by regular and active participation.

Every business that is willing to post 20 on-topic and usually useful or informative posts for each ad would be welcome to do it I suspect.

If they were working at the same ratio of on-topic posts to ads as Steve I think I and many others would be ecstatic--it would mean that Home Depot had actually hired someone whose skills went beyond fumbling with a cash register.

To most of the rest of us there is a difference. OK.

--
--John
Thu, Jul 29, 2004, 4:32am (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@telus.net (ChrisMelanson) claims: First thing I am not new here.

snip
Hey Steve,
I could use a nice handmade plane know where I might get one? If they're on sale that would be a plus! :-)
Layne
As a died in the wool normite, I only use hand tools under duress, I do enjoy looking at fine tools and the links that Steve has are among my favorites. To me it goes to another thread thats going on no "Tools As Art".
I say keep em comin'
Bob makin' sawdust in Salem Or
there are no rules to posting here and regardless of what you or anyone else thinks Steve has every right to post whatever he wants.
As everyone else has made very clear (especially Mr. Clarke with his telling statistics), Steve has followed every accepted practice as far as that goes. By putting the "FS" in the header, he gave you fair warning.
So kiss off and get a life.
"Richard Clements" wrote ...

I tried to plane a rabbit once, but by the time I got two sides flat there wasn't much left and it took a lot of work. Next time I'll use a jig on the table saw, or a router and a straightedge.