FS 30% off summer sale lots of cool planes and new tools to see.

30%0 Off planes of all sorts. New marking knives and hammers are now available.
by CHESTER TOOLWORKS LLC and they are made from precision ground 3/32" thick O1 tool steel and are 5/16" wide. Snakewood, East Indian Rosewood, Brazilian Tulipwood, or Gabon Ebony. 44.00 for the snakewood and shipping 39.00 and shipping for the other woods. New plane adjusting hammer
CTW hammers are designed specifically for adjusting the blades and wedges of wooden hand planes and infill hand planes. The polished brass and Lignum Vitae head is weighted toward the brass striking end and is designed so that it won't mar or mushroom the blade like steel hammers. The Lignum end is of a smaller diameter and is used to tap the toe or heel of the plane without leaving dent marks. It should also be the end used for tapping wedges tight since it won't damage the heel of the wedge. Handles are individually shaped from Quartersawn White Ash with the grain oriented to prevent the runout which weakens many other hammer handles. 45.00 plus shipping. New plane idea's
also have new tools almost ready for beta testing email me if interested. A plow plane a side rabbet plane based on a nice old design and a set of T&G planes.

Knight Toolworks in conjunction with Harrolson at

have had these custom made Japanese irons made for western planes. These are the first and only hand forged/laminated Japanese irons that will fit a regular wedged plane. They are 2" wide and 5.25" long and are a bit over ¼" thick. They will drop into any knight Toolworks plane that uses a 2" iron with just a little mouth and wedge adjustment. They are made from blue steel (holds and edge longer then pretty much any tool steel on the market) and wrought iron. I believe these to be the best irons out there over O-1 and A-2 irons. They will hold an edge longer then A-2 they will get sharper they will leave a deeper/cleaner surface and they make the plane easier to use. They will really help with tearout too. They are hand stamped with Shizu Tani (tranquil valley) Shipping is 5.00 including insurance.
planes now have finger grips and brass set screws to adjust the fit of the iron. Rock maple Purpleheart Cocobolo at an extra cost is also available. Padouk Please check my page for all my planes

I also have razee jointers and jack planes and scrubs.

have great looking/feeling coffin smoothers
planes now have setscrews to center the irons in the body and make adjusting the iron easy.

All planes are sanded/planed and finished with a special oil and wax finish.

Reply to
Steve Knight

First thing I am not new here. Second thing it is one thing if some one else referred his site than if he did. If he needs to advertise he should set up a mailing list in which the recipient gives him his permission to be on it. He could very easily do this by setting up a link on his site. It should not mater if someone is a "member" of a group in order to advertise on it. It is bad edict. This is a forum for questions and answers and an exchange of ideas not to self promote your products. Should everyone or every business start doing it? How would you like that if the borg started advertising there sales here? To me there is no difference ok.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Melanson

Chris, I completly disagree. This forum has in the past allowed this to happen and it should in the future. The borg isn't going to spam us so that is just rambling. Steve's planes have been the topic of many threads in this group and I think it's great that he occasionally offers them at a discount to the readers here. I for one now have two of them and they are great and I hope you keep posting Steve....

Reply to
John

Please re read my last post and try and understand my point. I asked " How would you like that if the Borg started advertising there sales here?" not that they were going to so there is no rambling at all. I stated that to me there is no difference between the two forms of advertisement. Self promoting is still self promoting no mater who dose it. And that it is bad edict. What part did you not understand? Let me know so I can be perfectly clear.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Melanson

Perhaps you could clarify what you mean by "bad edict"

Hint: (from Webster) Main Entry: edict Pronunciation: 'E-"dikt Function: noun Etymology: Middle English, from Latin edictum, from neuter of edictus, past participle of edicere to decree, from e- + dicere to say -- more at DICTION

1 : a proclamation having the force of law 2 : ORDER, COMMAND Chris >
Reply to
Mark & Juanita

Well, it looks like you're the only one. To every other single response in ths thread, there's a big f'ing difference. Are you starting to get a hint? Here's an idea, since you seem to be alone in your having an issue with Steve's posting, create a filter in your newsreader that rejects "FS" postings.

Actually, when I read your first response, I had the distinct impression you were a sockpuppet of one of the more disgruntled rec members who didn't have anything better to do than register complaints.

todd

By the way, since you've generously allowed people other than Steve to refer to his web site, I'd just like to point out that his web site is

I hear he's having a sale. I encourage everyone to buy a plane or two tomorrow.

Reply to
Todd Fatheree

Maybe you should follow some of your own advice.... Sometimes ya just gotta love Google... Steve has contributed a lot to this group and I have no problem with his advertising at all... One of these days I am gonna order a plane or two from him.

Like you said, "If you do not like it try first to IGNORE IT or even better try a filter".......OK?

From: "Chris Melanson" Newsgroups: rec.woodworking References: Subject: Re: OT - FOLLOW-UP 1: Potty-mouth Charlie Self Lines: 91 X-Priority: 3 X-MSMail-Priority: Normal X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2800.1409 X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2800.1409 Message-ID: Date: Thu, 06 May 2004 00:49:10 GMT NNTP-Posting-Host: 206.116.175.197 X-Trace: clgrps13 1083804550 206.116.175.197 (Wed, 05 May 2004 18:49:10 MDT) NNTP-Posting-Date: Wed, 05 May 2004 18:49:10 MDT

For some reason the first post did not seem to go through sorry if this is a repost

What is the real problem here ? Did someone's feelings get hurt over a few swear words. If you do not like it IGNORE it. It is that simple OK. I am not a Christian but I have to put up with all the god bless this and that but I chose to IGNORE it because I believe in freedom of speech and that everyone has the right to it. I swear like a drunken sailor on leave around the shop. But when I am having a discussion on a news group I refrain from swearing as it usually just takes away from the topic at hand . But I am not going to jump up and down stamping my feet because somebody posts some swearing. If you do not like it try first to IGNORE IT or even better try a filter.

[......... rest of long post deleted .........]

Reply to
Mark Hopkins

As a died in the wool normite, I only use hand tools under duress, I do enjoy looking at fine tools and the links that Steve has are among my favorites. To me it goes to another thread thats going on no "Tools As Art".

I say keep em comin'

Bob makin' sawdust in Salem Or

Reply to
RPRESHONG

Chris Melanson responds:

But to me, there is a difference. And you are not a net cop who has a right to tell me what I should think. Simply bypass the FS headers and you'll have a lot less weight on your shoulders and I'll bet the world doesn't even notice that your help has been subtracted.

Charlie Self "Did you know that the White House drug test is multiple choice?" Rush Limbaugh

Reply to
Charlie Self

Depends on how you define "new". Some of the participants have been here since the early '90s or before.

He could do that and probably does. That doesn't mean that he shouldn't inform is "friends" on rec.woodworking that he's having a sale.

Why not?

"Edict"? Earth to Chris, nobody has the power to enforce "edicts" on an unmoderated newsgroup. It is established by custom that regular participants may post the occasional advertisement.

Steve exchanges ideas and answers questions better than just about anybody else in the newsgroup. He is known and trusted in this particular community and he has earned that by regular and active participation.

Every business that is willing to post 20 on-topic and usually useful or informative posts for each ad would be welcome to do it I suspect.

If they were working at the same ratio of on-topic posts to ads as Steve I think I and many others would be ecstatic--it would mean that Home Depot had actually hired someone whose skills went beyond fumbling with a cash register.

To most of the rest of us there is a difference. OK.

Reply to
J. Clarke

there are no rules to posting here and regardless of what you or anyone else thinks Steve has every right to post whatever he wants.

As everyone else has made very clear (especially Mr. Clarke with his telling statistics), Steve has followed every accepted practice as far as that goes. By putting the "FS" in the header, he gave you fair warning.

So kiss off and get a life.

Reply to
Mike in Mystic

I tried to plane a rabbit once, but by the time I got two sides flat there wasn't much left and it took a lot of work. Next time I'll use a jig on the table saw, or a router and a straightedge.

Reply to
Bob N

Either way, it would be good in a stew even if it is not completely flat. .

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

not as much as I used too. I have become so specialized I don't have as much to offer. I sure miss that. or everyone beats me too it (G)

Reply to
Steve Knight

Stick around for a while and you will find that Steve contributes more than he takes.

Reply to
Leon

Naah, that doesn't work either, they get all squirrely on you.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Why bring it up then, Chris?

There is a great deal of difference between "Hi, you don't know me, buy my crap", and a regular, helpful individual telling a group he actively helps that a product they're interested in is available.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

The thing that's unclear, is your understanding of this group's tolerance for this type of post, I think. I'll make it simple:

For sale ad from non-contributor: unwelcome For sale ad from participating, helpful, knowledgeable member of group: OK

Better now? Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Inconceiveable!

Reply to
Mike Patterson

Thu, Jul 29, 2004, 4:32am (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@telus.net (Chris=A0Melanson) claims: First thing I am not new here.

Comparitively speaking, you are. Steve's been here all day, you haven't.

=A0It should not mater if someone is a "member" of a group in order to advertise on it.

You're missing the point. It does indeed matter, when that someone is a regulary contributing member of that group. "Regularly contributing member", are the key words. Those guys have earned a bit of slack.

Got no problems with Steve posting FS once in awhile. It's not a daily, or weekly, thing. Wouln't have problems with some of the others, in business and regular contributers, posting specials once in awhile either. I won't name any of you guys, last time I tried that, I could only think of one of you, until after I punched the send button. LOL

JOAT The highway of fear is the road to defeat.

- Bazooka Joe JERUSALEM RIDGE

J T

Thu, Jul 29, 2004, 5:19am (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@telus.net (Chris=A0Melanson) says: Please re read my last post and try and understand my point. I asked " How would you like that if the Borg started advertising there sales here?"

Yeah, I understood it when I read it. OK, you get someone from the Borg to become a contributing member to this forum, a valuable contributing member that is, and I won't object to advertising specials, as long as it's not a weekly thing. I doubt that's happen.

And, I hate the Borg.

Harbor Freight now, if you can talk one of them into it. LOL