From another ng

Page 7 of 7

Swingman wrote:

Thereby absolutely guaranteeing even a poorer pool of candidates to choose from...
Not that I think teachers in general are poorly paid in comparison to some other professions and that there are often more administrative staff than necessary, but there are some reasons such situations have developed. Charlie referred to one part of the story (but only a part)....
"Duane Bozarth" wrote in message

Teachers, or politicians?
Average Senate salary: $98,542; Average HR salary: $87,894; Average Mayoral Salary in the 50 largest cities: $100,000; Average US Teachers salary: $45,822.
Go ahead .. take a loooong look around you, then expound/pontificate on who is more important to the future of this country/where fiscal priorities should be ... I am going to cut some wood.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/29/05
Mark & Juanita wrote:

You're trying to make much more out of what I said than what I said, Mark. :)
But, you come back and reinforce my point--that residential expansion on its own is generally a net loss revenue-wise for municipalities despite a general perception to the contrary. It was because there is that general perception that I made the observation.
(BTW, where it was made clear to me was while taking a series of classes in planning while sitting on a City/County Planning Commission in TN. That's been quite some time ago now, but I doubt the general trends are much different now than then.)
Mark & Juanita wrote:

Well can you find figures relating total or porperty tax rate vs population density, or total tax revenue, or total tax revenue vs total population for a nice cross section of communities? or property tax rate vs population density?
Perhaps better, can you find the history of property tax rates (or total tax rates) for specific communities vs population over time and compare that to the national average change in property tax rates or total tax rates, adjusted for inflation.
Seems it would be a tough problem to address due to confounding factors like major (taxable) corporate entities moving into or out of those same communities at the same time, unless you want to consider such changes as manifestations of developement.
--

FF

snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net wrote:

What's really significant is changes in local population and revenues versus requirements for capital improvements and services, discounting commercial entity-generated revenues. What is almost universally found is that the non-business revenues simply aren't sufficient owing to (relatively) low evaluation. (While a $300k house seems quite expensive in some areas, compared to the evaluation of even a small industrial or manufacturing facility, it's chump-change.)
There's some difficulty in separating out, but the tax revenues paid by corporate entities are able to be separated in most jurisdictions pretty easily. A major more recent exacerbating problem tends to be the sizable rebates offered by municipalities to lure business which appears to be leading to a different form of the "arms race".

Unabashedly, my new hero on the national scene ... Lt. Gen. Russell Honore ... if he, along with Vice Adm. Thad Allen, doesn't inspire the confidence, and the requisite leadership, embodied in the sentiment above, you're in the wrong damn country.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/29/05