From another ng

Page 1 of 7

The mayor of New Orleans just called out for help! Take any boat you have esp flat bottom boats to New Orleans now and use FRS and CB radios to communicate. THERE IS NO CELL PHONE POWER! Do not rely on your cell phones. Take all the gasoline, food and water you can. There is a Sam Club in New Orleans where everyone is meeting with their boats, although that is not required. Remember that the water is rising and many are trapped in their homes in the attacks and are unable to cut a hole in the roof to stand on it , so they will die if the water rises high enough. There is no electricity whatsoever, so latens, stoves and batteries are all youll be able to use.
HURRY!
Note: maybe battery operated reciprocating saws????

How do you plan to recharge the batteries when they run down?
Don't need to recharge batteries on an axe...
--
Regards,

Yeah, I guess so.

On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 19:31:21 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

Or a wrecking bar.
If you go, take a generator if possible. You will not believe how useful even a lowly 2.5 KW beggar is until you ain't got one in these situations. Lots of gas and some 2 cycle oil for the chain saw. Water, yes, but FEMA will have that coming in abundance. Food, stick with cans. Liquor - don't.
I spent 8 days helping recovery in P'Cola last year - got cap and tee shirt. It is not fun!
Regards.

Yes it is. If you sincerely want to help, contact the authorities first, and they'll tell you how. However, do have something in mind to offer so you are not wasting their time. This guy is not one of the authorities [in case you hadn't guessed], and what they don't want is a mass of people clogging up their organised efforts. They'll put out the request, and it won't be through newsgroups.

I think the fellow meant that bringing a boat was not required. I heard the announcement on the news and the part about bringing a boat was a little confusing. Maybe the original poster was confused as well. What it meant to me was that if you were bringing a boat, meet at that Sams. The other places to meet, as I understood it, was the various Red Cross and Salvation Army stations.
And, I don't see any harm in the fellow posting it on newsgroups. -- J.C.

I do if it's not true. Also, for your information cell phones work from batteries and through satellite. My sister in law found it useful,and called us when they went through their last couple of hurricanes.

When did that happen? Are they going to tear down all the cell phone antennas that have been built in the past 15 years? I'd better tell the guy erecting one 100 feet from where I work to stop it as the satellites are taking over.
Unless you have power for a charger, those cell phone batteries will die in a couple of days.
I'd kind of like to see what kind of battery you'd need in that cell phone to boost that signal from that itty-bitty antenna all the way to a geosynchronous satellite. BruceT
wrote in message

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

I also suspect that most towers don't have any power, either, at this point.
There are two major problems with cell phones in situations such as this. The cell sites need power same as anything else. Cut the power and you're down. There are also far more cell phones out there than there is service. In most any emergency situation, the service is jammed to the point of being useless. As for cell phones and satellites, ha, ha,ha...

through satellites.
That just couldn't be. People have been telling hams for years now that they are no longer needed as cell phones have made them obsolete. CW KC7NOD
THERE IS NO CELL PHONE POWER! Do not rely on your

A couple of hams are going to be a lot more help there than a couple of dozen Bubbas in bass boats.
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
"LRod" wrote in message

How is that? A lot of folks have been thankful for "Bubbas" in bass boats". Historically in floods, shallow draft boats can save a ton of folks from rooftops, trees, and attics.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/29/05

Emphasis on Bubbas, not bass boats.
In emergency situations there is almost as much difficulty managing willing but untrained or ill equipped volunteers as there is managing the crisis in the first place.
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
"LRod" wrote in message

IMO, that's a load of condescending horseshit. Oddly enough, the authorities were asking for just such action from "Bubba's in bass boats" ... their regard is obviously higher than yours, but still probably not as high as the rescued, who could care less as long as they are.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/29/05

You don't know much about emergency management, do you?
Here are some excerpts of information from another newsgroup (amateur radio, the first line of communications in nearly all major disasters) Pay close attention to the quotes from officials. Start with Sentence Two:
The on-the-ground situation in SE Louisiana and SW Mississippi is as bad as television is reporting. Neither state is permitting disaster relief agencies into the affected areas except on a very limited basis and only then where conditions are stable. Nearly everyone is still staging as close by as possible and waiting.
The Louisiana SM (Section Manager, an amateur radion organizational area manager) (Mickey Cox K5MC) and SEC (Section Emergency Coordinater-almost always works hand-in-glove with local Emergency Operations Centers which are usually official city-wide or county-wide agencies) (Gary Stratton K5GLS) are in communications with state officials, who have directed them to NOT advertise for volunteers. Some volunteers have been requested, and these are being staged at the state EOC.
The situation for the Mississippi SM and SEC, Malcolm Keown W5XX, in Vicksburg MS is very uncertain. His station is completely on the ground and EchoLink repeaters in the area are off-the-air. Attempts to contact Assistant SMs have been unsuccessful.
An AB2M.net Amateur Radio operator registration web site has been setup and is ready to go public when approval is received. Some Amateur Radio operators are known to be traveling towards the affected areas with emergency services and disaster relief agencies as dedicated communications resources.
Despite everyone's nearly overwhelming desire to help, about all we can do right now is to make preparations for a prompt response when the officials finally give their approval. None of us know when that will occur.
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
"LRod" wrote in message

Being from SE Louisiana, having gone through numerous hurricanes and floods of catastrophic proportions, losing a home myself to floodwaters, and talking to relatives in the area as late as this morning, what I obviously know a lot more about than you is that folks are continuing to help each other where there are not enough "emergency managers" to go around, despite what you may hear from the talking heads. politicians, and FEMA bureaucrats on TV, which is where you are obviously getting your information.
Lord help anyone who subscribes to your "don't try this, we're the professionals", attitude in the face of emergencies. These folks, especially the ones outside the view of the TV cameras, are resourceful and there are damn few "bubbas" in the part of the country, and NONE in an emergency of this proportion.
So basically LRod, stick your condescension about "crackers" and "bubbas" where the sun doesn't shine.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/29/05

You are clearly not one of those, so keep your unprofessional opinions to yourself. Those better prepared will undoubtedly make some mistakes, but there'll be a Hell of a lot fewer than those caused by a bunch of cowboys running around as if they knew what they were doing. If you do try to go there with a boat you'll be stopped on the highway. You'll accomplish nothing but clogging up the roads and motels for people who really need them.
My brother and I tried to get to New York for his daughters. We couldn't get anywhere close as police blocked the highways. What do you think would be different here? Damn. I asked for your opinion. Well, you can give that for what it's worth. [ By the way, they got out and arrived home in NJ before we did.]