friends working together in shop

Page 2 of 2

You bet. I couldn't agree more.
Robert

The problem isn't that everyone is ready to sue at the drop of a hat, it's because people like your McD's coffee spill woman sue and actually win. After that happens, the incentive is there for everybody to sue. When the system decides it's easier to pay off someone than spend the money on lawyers for court proceedings, than it's exactly the same has hanging out a sign that says "Free Money".
Upscale wrote:

I believe the largest cost of health care is the insurance for liability protection that doctors, hospitals, manufacturers, etc. must carry to protect themselves from frivolous law suits. While people like to believe medicine is an exact science, all of the testing done to show the safety and effects of a medicine is based on statistics. While the statistic can define the general trends of the medication, any conclusions on one individual based on those statistical conclusions are not valid as each person is different.
If obama wants to reform health care they will place a cap on medical liability lawsuits. They also need to define what should be considered medical malpractice. An bandage left in the patient would be malpractice, a drug not responding as expected would not.

It won't help. Florida did that in 2003, even though insurance companies said that capping lawsuit damages won't affect their rates. http://www.medrants.com/archives/1401 (a random link gotten by Googling: florida malpractice cap, insurance).
Here's another article in which an actual malpractice insurer says caps don't help: http://www.bethjanicek.com/NEWS/4-10-26CapsUseless.htm
The problem with the insurance companies is that they're being hit as hard as the rest of us in economic downturns. They're answer to maintain profitability is to raise rates.
-Nathan
CC wrote:

You are too harsh. It's only 95% of the lawyers that give the rest of them a bad name.
As I recall, a $1M umbrella policy supplement to your homeowners insurance is not all that expensive. Talk to your insurance agent.
David Merrill

David Merrill wrote:

... Typically not much, agreed. I forget the exact kicker but it's in the noise as compared to the total.

It discourages "friends" from asking when I inform them that before using any tool they must read and demonstrate to me that they understand all the information in the owners manual. (Exam follows) <G>
Max (who has an umbrella liability policy)

When someone is making a long rip cut on the tablesaw, don't get behind him, cover his eye, and say "Guess Who?" Really, the shop is no place for distractions of any kind. One guest turned on my bandsaw (without permission) with the blade loosened. Since then I don't allow visitors.