Friction Lid Support for door limiter

I need to limit the door opening (90 degrees) on an antique medicine cabinet I just got done refinishing. Rather than chain or string (or some thing like that) I was thinking of using some of those brass friction lid supports. The curved ones say they can be used in as little as 2 1/2 inches, I have about 4 inches of depth. Has anyone ever used those? Can the friction be turned down (to zero)? Any other ideas or thoughts? Thanks