Freud SD308 Dado on a craftsman table saw

I just bought a used Freud 8" 'safety dado' set (still in the mail) and was wondering if there is anything I'll need to do to use it on my crapsman 10" table saw.

I realize the saw is underpowered, that's why I normally use a thin-kerf blade. I'd make several passes if needed, raising the blade each time.

However, will this blade even fit on the arbor. I've heard of such problems with other dado blade/ saw combinations. The saw did come with an insert for dado blades, just hope I can use it.

Even if it doesn't fit, it was a great deal for $75 (I think) and just another reason to get a real table saw. After the planer...

ThankX, Ron

Reply to
Ron

I have an old (circa 1950's) model Craftsman table saw and have no problems at all with the Freud 8" dado. You'll love it, and haven't had any problem with power.

Reply to
Steve Boone

You'll need to get the dado insert to replace the standard one. It's the removable plate that fits down over the the blade on top, usually secured with a screw from the top. One of the nice things about Craftsman is that they back their equipment with all the parts you'll ever need. Just locate a Sears parts center near you and give them the model number of the table saw. They should be able to find the add-on part number to order if you describe it to them.

Its possible that the model you have doesn't have the right size arbor and so will not have a dado/molding insert available.

I use a stacked dado head (Delta brand) on my craftsman with a 1hp motor. Works great, but the only problem I've seen is that the arbor is not quite long enough to accommodate the full stack of blades (safely), so I'm limited to about a 5/8" - 3/4" wide dado.

Reply to
sam

If it's one of the Craftsman saws with the direct drive motor, you may find that not only will you need to make multiple shallow passes, but that the arbor is not long enough to use the full width that the dado set is capable of.

Reply to
SuperSpaz

ThankX All,

I do have the dado insert, not a problem there.

3/4" should suffice for most cases for me.

My biggest concern is it just fitting on the arbor.

Reply to
Ron

I've never "got" an insert for my table saw. I make zero clearance inserts for every device. I'd suggest that this is a quick, simple policy that you consider. A piece of wood that fits the cutout in your table saw top. ready to go for whatever you buy. I have the dado set, regular saw blade and moulder head. Who knows what I'll find next. Make an insert for whatever you buy. Its a trivial exercise to make a zero clearance insert..

bob g.

Reply to
Robert Galloway

Making zero clearance inserts is great, if it's feasible for a particular machine. My Craftsman bench tablesaw (that is collecting dust) was a nightmare, making the insert took forever, routing out relief areas for bosses etc.

My 60's era Craftsman Tablesaw is quite nice for making zero clearance inserts, it's just an oval ~3/16" thick.

Reply to
SuperSpaz