Freud Router/Table Combo

Hi All.

I posted awhile back asking questions about purchasing a router and table

I have up to $600 to spend (Canadian).

While i was leaning towards Hitachi or DeWalt or PC, I found the following and wanted to get opinions:

Home Depot has the following on special right now for $499.99:

Freud 3 1/4 Plunge Router:

the table:

Does anyone have any comments on these?

- Does this seem like a good deal?

- The comments on Amazon are mostly negative, which isnt a good sign - they say its very difficult to change bits, the plunge router is stuff, etc. Any comments on these?

Thanks!

Reply to
barnesrich

I went with the Bosch dual base kit and built a quickie table using the Lee Valley insert. Under $400 CDN. I'll build another table at some point in the not too distant future, but I'm quite happy with the setup.

djb

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

I have the early version of that router. it has been a dependable workhorse for me. it stays in the table almost all of the time. I made a crank handle for the depth knob.

Reply to
bridger

I also have the early version of the Freud router and it's done everything I've asked of it, including swinging some 3" dia bits for making cabinets. I went with the Jessem Rout-R-Lift

and built my own table. I also built the fence Pat Warner designed (and sells) that was in FWW a few years back
and it's been great.

I've had my hands on the Freud fence (last year) and unless they have made some improvements on it, I would not buy it. Good idea (from Pat Warner's most likely) but lousy implementation. Very hard to adjust and was way overpriced.

Take a good look at what Jessem has to offer and Lee Valley if you want a ready made solution. I think your budget may be shy a few buck but you'll get a far better product all around.

Bob S.

)

> Questions:

Reply to
BobS

I have had the Freud router for more than 10 years, in a shop-built router table, ala NYWS. It has been a workhorse, and I would heartily recommend it. It is a bit heavy for hand use, so I have a PC 690 for that.

Steve

)

> Questions:

Reply to
Steve Peterson

I'd go with a DeWalt or Hitachi, I didn't find the built quality and precision of operation of the Freud up to the standards of a professional machine when I was looking for a new router.

)

> Questions:

Reply to
David Busby

)

I have this router, and I built my own table. I just recently added the Lee Valley insert plate and cam lifter, so I'm into it for about $600 (including wood for the table) so far. + bits (hundreds more). ($330 for the router, $220 for the LV stuff, $50 bucks for the wood. I'm surprised at how quickly the cost gets up there.) I tried to make do without the insert plate but I wasn't happy, so no more screwing around.

One thing I don't like is how long it takes to screw the bit height up and down. Since the micro adjuster is the only practical way to lift the bit when it's in the table, and it's on one side, sometimes the router is a bit canted. Not enough to see, but you can feel it when you back off and sometimes the router stays behind until you nudge it a bit (and then it falls downward). Adding a crank might help make this easier. But I never removed the springs, so if it ends up staying in the table all the time, removing the springs might help, too.

You need both hands to change bits. It's no harder than either of my other two routers (one cheapo, one almost cheapo).

Yes, it's a bit stiff, but that hasn't really been a problem. I'm expecting it to get better with use. I really really like its power compared with my other routers. It's very smooth to operate. I'm about to start my first serious milling operation on it this weekend, so I'll know more in a few days.

I had a hard time attaching the fence accessory to the router, but once it was in there it worked okay.

My router table has a growing feature list, but you're getting a commercially designed product, so I think it's a good deal. Just look at my costs so far. So far I'm happy enough with my purchases.

- Owen -

Reply to
Owen Lawrence