Free Woodworking Report Available

Page 9 of 9

There's this thing called "open source software" which is exactly that - better OS and programs than MS makes. It's done by people like me, who know that it _can_ be done better, and we're doing it.
So, we're not just laughing and complaining, we're doing something about it. Give firefox a try to get an idea of the sort of products it produces.
wrote in message

Well, since we neither know who the original author was, nor what your definition of "better" is, that's a hard question to answer.
For some values of "better", tho, Windows doesn't come out looking too good. Most any programmer will point to any of the Unixy OS's, especially Linux, and say they're better than Windows, for stability and freedom from security issues (but they are in general harder to learn to use, altho newish products like Knoppix are making life on that side a lot easier). Many other people will suggest the Mac OS and GUI are much easier to use, as well as being more stylish (tho the older Mac OS had most of the same stability & security issues as Windows, in part because Window's design paradigm was "make it like the Mac).
John

To disable Javascript in IE6: 1. Click Tools. 2. Select Internet options 3. Click the Security tab. 4. Click the Internet icon. 5. Click the Custom level button. 6. Scroll down to Scripting of Java applets, and select the Disable option. 7. Click OK twice.

BZZZZT! _That_ disables _JAVA_. *Not* Javascript. The two are *entirely* different things, linked =only= by an 'apparent' (*misleadingly* so) common root name.

BZZZZZT! right back. If you look at: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb ;en-us;154036 and read the section: Internet Explorer 5.0, 5.01, 5.5, 6: you'll see the note that says: NOTE: In Internet Explorer, the term "Active scripting" or "ActiveX scripting" refers to both Microsoft JScript scripting and Microsoft Visual Basic Scripting Edition. When you complete this procedure, you disable both types of scripts.

Sorry, Charlie, but you need to learn to read (or write) better. At the place you cite, the 'b' step says: "... click Disable under ACTIVE SCRIPTING AND Scripting of Java applets." =================== *YOUR* directions mention *ONLY* the 'java applets' checkbox.
Following your directions _as_posted_ (disabling java applets *only), *DOES*NOT* disable Javascript.
The BZZZT! _was_ accurate.
Note: The web-page you cite also _lies_ with regard to (at least some) older versions of MSIE -- _even_though_ the "disable active scripting" box was checked, IE *would* run both Javascript and ActiveX scripts under proper provocation. Known to be fixed as of 5.5, Definite problem with some installations of 4.x (all revisions), depending on the patches applied. (both shops I just checked with went directly from 4.x to 5.5, so no hard data on 5.0 or 5.0.1 available to me.)

I don't know why you continue to maintain that disabling active scripting does not disable javascript. In MS terminology, disabling scripting of java applets means disabling scripting of both java AND javascript. I should know, as I work in the IIS group and test this stuff regularly. In addition, when I inquired to the MS MVPs, I got the following: Q: Is it possible for an end-user to disable Java Script in IE6? Where would I do this in the UI?
Yes, Under each security zone, look under Scripting / Active Scripting.
--
Michael Harris
Microsoft MVP Scripting

Abe, you apparently lack reading comprehension skills.
I stated that AT A TIME IN THE PAST, under some circumstances, that MSIE's 'disable' box for "activie scripting" *did*not*function* as it was intended to. This was a *bug* in the softare. You _do_ understand the word "bug", don't you?
I stated that this bug _has_been_eliminated_ in later versions of the program. If it is not obvious to you, this means I acknowledge that the newer versions of MSIE _do_ properly "not process" javascript, when ACTIVE SCRIPTING is disabled.

What you "know", and what *MICROSOFT* tells the world, are "incompatible".
Per the material on the Microsoft tech note that *you* were quoting as reference earlier.. repeating, from _your_ sources: "NOTE: In Internet Explorer, the term "Active scripting" or "ActiveX scripting" refers to both Microsoft JScript scripting and Microsoft Visual Basic Scripting Edition. When you complete this procedure, you disable both types of scripts."
In MSIE version 6. (version id 6.0.2900.2180.xpsp_sp2) There are two _separate_and_distinct_ sub-scections underthe "Scripting" section. one for 'active scripting' (enable/disable/prompt) one for 'scripting of Java applets' (enable/disable/prompt)
Now, why would MICROSOFT provide two _separate_ items, and publicly state that their "javascript" is enabled/disabled by the *first* item, when *you* KNOW that it is enabled/disabled byt the *second* one.
Note: "JScript" is Microsoft's bastardized varient of "javascript". The one they got *sued* over their unauthorized changes to the language (and *LOST* the suit -- had to restore the 'standard' functioning.)
I see only about two possibilities: 1) You really *do* know more about this than Microsoft. In which case you should really share that superior knowledge with MS, so that they can stop putting out "bad information" on their web-site. Can't imagine why you'd ask MS for verification of something you know more about than they do, though. 2) You don't understand that "active scripting", and "scripting of java applets" are talking about *different* things.

Do you note that Mr. Harris's directions, "Active Scripting", is *DIFFERENT* than that which you claimed? to wit:
"6. Scroll down to Scripting of Java applets,..."
*IF*, as you claim, 'scripting of java applets' disables javascript, _why_ does the other item 'active scripting' exist?

That was my mistake. Harris's directions to disable active scripting is correct.
I'm bowing out of this thread now.