Free Woodworking Report Available

Page 7 of 9

Well, it's good, it's free, and it runs on lots of hardware. What's not to like?

They're both cell phone application delivery platforms.

I think the line is blurring, particularly since consoles are moving towards more networking and computers have such a history for gaming.
-Mike
--
http://www.mschaef.com

So, more embedded than "sitting at a computer" kind of thing.

OK. But, still, I don't think a game console fits many peoples' definition of "current major computing platform".

I know what you mean there. But, I notice that www.tandem.com forwards to compaq.com where it 404's. Are they still around, or did HP kill them off, or ???
Dave
Tamdem was bought and sold a few times...what's left is sold under the HP name...(what's left)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tandem_Computers
Dave Hinz wrote:

Sad what happens to some of the big names. I've got a D|I|G|I|T|A|L monitor built in the 1990s, which I probably won't be able to replace in kind.

Still breathing. But they don't call it Tandem anymore; it's now "HP NonStop".
http://h20223.www2.hp.com/nonstopcomputing/cache/76385-0-0-0-121.aspx

Odd that they wouldn't bother fixing the forward at tandem.com though.
See my comments about W/XXXX from an earlier statement.
Let's see:
The largest number of midrange computers in the world are running OS/400, which will also run Unix,AIX,Linux and Windows as "guests" all at the same time.
AIX(another Unix) is installed in about a billion systems strung all over the world.(even the famous Flea-Bay)
MVS is running most/all of the major mainframes in the world. That little OS has been around since 1970's and only god knows what the current version is...
I don't recall any of the "other" folks like RCA,Data General,Honeywell Bull,Digital,GE,etc are still around.....(I left out many dead companies)
Besides, this is NOT a computer forum and we need to move right along to somthing wood related ????
Dave Hinz wrote:

Thought they were running Solaris? Were a few years ago, at least for the application servers. Rack after rack after rack of V880s...

How many of these are _current_ major players, though? Lots of Linux at GE, at least in Med Systems (sorry, "GE Healthcare" now).

I've got a computer built into a cherry cabinet. Beautiful, but ancient. I should do something about that.

Yep - based on Unix and free - Oh, we've got that now.

I suspect in a saner world, something like CPM or Concurrent CPM would have emerged victorious. CCPM was doing multi-tasking (or at least multiple contexts) back when MSDOS was just happy to access disk drives and run a single program.
Probably would have been more intelligent to have had a standards body design the op system (or had one of the OS vendors offer their OS to said body). Then multiple vendors could have competed to implement that OS. While those kinds of things can lead to problems (mis-interpretations, etc), it could also have had some significant benefits. Even if only a few vendors survived future competitive thinning, the differences in implementations would have reduced vulnerability to virus problems, since it would be unlikely that the same holes would exist in all implemenations.

few
implemenations.
Having seen what the boys from Ft Meade can do, I'm confident in asserting that _any_ system is vulnerable to the infinite number of monkeys out there.

I don't think I said anything differently, although I'm not sure what the boys from Ft Meade have to do with malicious viruses floating around on the internet. The point is, that when you have different implementations floating around, then the exploits that take advantage of a specific vulnerability (unless it is a shortcoming in the standard itself) will not work on all implementations. Thus, instead of the homogeneous system we have now in which all windows machines are vulnerable, for example, to the blaster worm because of a specific buffer overflow, in a diverse market place with different implementations of the same standard, it is likely that only one of the implementations would be vulnerable to that particular exploit. Doesn't mean other exploits wouldn't work on a different implementation -- what it means is that not *all* systems would be vulnerable to the "virus de jour". Seems much more robust to me.
Mark & Juanita wrote:

what the

on the

will not

we
to the

market
likely
particular
Of course a system that uses Code-Data-Separation will be immune to ALL buffer overflow exploits. Microsoft's disdain for common sense practices is largely why their software is vulnerable to _so many_ security problems.
--

FF

Man, I miss Interleaf. I _still_ haven't found a drawing package that is as usable as frames within an interleaf document. Pointers would be most welcome. Wish I still had a copy, now that I have the hardware.

Well, I think MS does deserve _some_ credit for increasing demand for bigger/faster/cheaper hardware. Their bloat makes my next hard drive purchase cheaper, y'know?
Dave Hinz
Dave Hinz wrote: ...

I think you have the primary cause/effect backwards here...software always expands to fill/overtax the available hardware...not that there isn't impetus to create new hardware to solve larger problems, but the problems existed first. What was/is practical to solve simply moves up based on the presently available hardware. The explosion of the wasting of CPU cycles for nonproductive computing is a new phenomenon brought on by the advent of cheap processors and large memories.
If one hasn't worked in an environment where 1 or 2 kwords of memory was still unimaginably large, it's hard to relate to today's environment.

Could be. I'm _trying_ to give MS the benefit of the doubt on something just to see what it's like, but frankly, I'm not real good at it.

Well...each Mac OSX dot-rev I've installed has _improved_ performance on the same hardware, so I'm not sure "every/all" appies, but I see your point.

Yes. Back in the day, every byte counted, literally. Hell, I'd use . instead of 0 when possible, because . is a single-precision zero, while 0 too two bytes. Start a loop at zero, not one, because it has to count past that anyway and cycles are time. "Tokenize" your BASIC instructions so they don't have to be detokenized at runtime. Ah, the fun.

"Yeah, let's just load this 25MB DLL so we have the value of PI in case we might want it" type stuff, yes. Drives me nuts when I see crap like that.
Dave "We wore an onion on our belt, as was the style at the time" Hinz
spamhater113+ snipped-for-privacy@grymoire.com says...

Forgot Electric Pencil?

They were already dropping without Microsoft's influence. Just as a data point, an Apple ][ running something like Bank Street Writer or Appleworks was significantly less than $5K even in the early-mid 80's. Microsoft's only role in the Apple ][ machines was as a supplier of AppleSoft BASIC. (When the Apple's license for AppleSoft expired, Microsoft then took the license renewal fee out of Apple's hide...)
Prior to all this, CP/M machines running things like WordStar were much less costly than more institutional word processors, even back in the 70's. The big driving force of all of this downward movement in price is cheaper hardware and consequently larger markets (with less money to spend individually, I suspect).
-Mike
--
http://www.mschaef.com