Free Woodworking Report Available

Page 6 of 9
"Pat Barber" wrote in message

How about starting in 1988 with David Cutler and his team's first iteration of Windows NT, and for real, circa 1993, with the release of NT 3.1 to the public?
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

Yes, that's what I thought as well. When DOS became an app that runs in Windows, rather than Windows being an app that ran in DOS.
I am truly abashed at the depth of my knowledge of Microsoft's history. And to think I used to be an proponent (well, in the early 80's, but still...)

Sure, it's called Unix. Everything except Windows uses it.
Dave Hinz wrote:

Well, hardly <everything>... :)

Right, there are mainframe computers these days as well, but...can you name a current major computing platform that isn't Unix, other than Windows?
Dave Hinz wrote:

Stratus' VOS. Though last I heard Stratus was considering a Linux port. Not sure if they made that decision or not.
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Dunno, I'm not familiar with it at all. We've got a Linux partition on our IBM mainframe, which 5 years ago would have been unthinkable.

we have a windows 2k3, linux, and vos port all running on the same family of hardware.
http://stratus.com .
regards, charlie

For some definition of the word "major", these come to mind:
* PalmOS * J2ME * Brew * Nintendo GameCube * Nindendo Gameboy (Advance, SP, etc.) * Sony Playstation, Playstation 2
All of these have millions of units shipped, and markets that are in the hundreds of millions of dollars, if not billions. None are Unix-based. None are Windows-based.
-Mike
--
http://www.mschaef.com

Tandem. Used largely for mission-critical applications where downtime is intolerable, such as most of the world's major stock exchanges, a substantial fraction of telephone switching equipment and ATM networks, and an awful lot of hospitals. Spent over 20 years of my IS career working with Tandem equipment. MAN! but it's nice to work on a machine that never goes down.

OK, that one I'll go with.

Not familiar with these.

Not sure if I'd call these "computing platforms". Sure, they're computers, but the primary purpose isn't computing, it's gaming. My microwave as a CPU in it as well...

Right. This also doesn't address the embedded computing in an amazing nubmer of devices (cars, appliances, sewing machines, etc etc etc), but even those you'll find a lot of 'doze and Unix in.
Dave Hinz wrote: ...

The embedded market in terms of numbers of cpu's is far larger than the desktop market (as you may well know). Last numbers I recall from Embedded Systems Programming survey of embedded developers something under 10% were using either of those as an OS for their or their employers' product(s).
Large number of user interfaces are going that way though simply as course of least resistance...
On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 15:39:17 -0600, Duane Bozarth

Different market entirely.
Embedded systems range from 4-bit microcontrollers, FPGAs to MIPS and PowerPCs . . not so much Intel chips 'cuz the power consumption is HUGE.
TI used to sell their compilers to run under UNIX, but they made a huge move to CodeComposer Studio, which is really only happy under Windows.
VxWorks sells their development tools to run on most everything for the low low price of around $50k/seat. But if you need vxWorks, you REALLY need vxWorks.
Interesting side note: A big "microcontroller" is the Zilog Z-80 and its descendents. They sell around 200Million of them a year for a buck or so apiece. I learned to program on the Z-80-based TRS-80 Model 3 that had a WHOPPING 48k of RAM.
Charles Krug wrote:

Of course...only brought into the discussion to balance off that there is another whole world out there besides the PC...

I've done embedded development for devices used in process control. These have to be powered by extremely low-power intrinsicly safe bus connections. That means power consumption in the tens of milliwats. The chip used was an Intel 80188EB.
-Mike
--
http://www.mschaef.com

That's probably going to change; Wind River just went Linux.

Yup. No longer makes sense to custom-anything when there's an easy solution on the shelf.
On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 15:39:17 -0600, Duane Bozarth

A lot of them are real-time applications running on hardware with constrained memory, so that's understandable. Linux is beginning to make inroads here.
On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 16:03:14 -0700, GregP wrote

We are (I am) abandoning VxWorks in favor of the 2.6 kernel for a large project where the real time demands are more relaxed and our memory space is large. In my case the wealth of networking options and support base for communications far outweigh the more deterministic nature of former embedded standards like VxWorks (who are adopting Linux for just this reason 8^).
-Bruce

Interesting article at slashdot a bit ago, on this topic: http://robots.net/article/1424.html

I didn't know that Linux had made such large inroads.