Free Woodworking Report Available

Page 1 of 9
Check this out - good info if you're thinking of starting a business:
http://free.profitfromwood.com /
Enjoy! Sev
JUNK

And revels in the spelling mistakes.
You've got that right. His spelling and grammar are amazing. You'd think someone that plans on writing a book would at least have a command of the English language.
--
Jeff P.

A truck carrying copies of Roget's Thesaurus over-turned on the
On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 23:21:52 +0000, Jeff P. wrote:

You'd think so. I recently got a book from the library about all sorts of fasteners. Couldn't stand to read it because the prose was so choppy. The fellow knew his stuff, though. (Still does. He's a regular here.) The lesson is to get a good editor.
--
"Keep your ass behind you"
vladimir a t mad scientist com

The beware *IS*JUSTIFIED*. on several counts.
First, the "free" (a $29.95 value) report is just a come-on for a $497 "one year subscription" that supposedly has a "value" in excess of $2,400.
Second, The page for the 'full outline' is all ENCRYPTED JavaScript. I can't think of any _legitimate_ reason for that. But I can come up with lots of illegitimate ones. It doesn't appear to be "heavily" encrypted, but I havn't gone through and decrypted it, to see what it is _really_ doing.
*IF* you feel compelled to visit the site. I would *STRONGLY*RECOMMEND* using a browser where you can (and _have_) disabled JavasSript.
Note: I don't believe it is possible to turn off javascript in anything approaching a recent version of Internet Explorer.
"Robert Bonomi" wrote in message

According to the security settings for IE 6.x, you can. Why do you believe that you can't?
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04
Swingman wrote:

--
Will
Occasional Techno-geek

Why do I believe that? Because that's what reliable sources told me, some time ago. :) This _was_ at least a couple of versions back, but MS had decided that javascript was _not_ optional anymore, although _Java_ remained optional.
If they've reversed that policy decision, *GREAT*. I'm stunned, shocked, and amazed, that MS would _allow_ users to turn off a 'feature' that provides lots of 'flash and sizzle', along with a bunch of security risks.
Historically anything that fit that description they've forced down your throat. <wry grin>
I don't use MSIE _at_all_; I don't have direct experience, and do have to rely on what I hear from my professional peers that do "know what they're talking about" in that regard.
"Robert Bonomi" wrote in message

some
Well, I figured that you knew something I didn't - not that you don't know plenty that I don't :) - but if I am not mistaken, you have always been able to disable the Java VM, at least since it was included in the recent versions of IE.

Can't argue with that ...

Morale: I've learned to be careful about what someone who "knew what they're talking about" told be if I didn't know the answer first myself, particularly from my "networking peers" who "don't do MSFT". ;>)
That said ... MSFT "says" that you can disable JavaScript, and I believe that you actually can in the latest version ... but, like you I don't believe a damn thing they say and always want to test/verify each iteration to make sure they aren't just blowing smoke.
swingman ... who is plenty sick and tired of applying seemingly endless MSFT security patches to upwards of 30 boxes a month, and dreads seeing the latest "Microsoft Security Bulletin" arrive ... the one last week had SEVEN "critical" patches that needed to be applied!!
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

No argument, you could always disable the Java VM. "Javascript" is something *completely* different. Paraphrasing Jack Webb, "only the names are similar, to confuse the innocent."
Does current MSIE provide *two* options -- one for disabling Java, and a second one for disabling JavaScript?

Nit: I _think_ you mean "moral", not "morale". <grin>
I get my info on such matters from peers who *do* do MSFT.
And there is a reason I stated things exactly the way I did. I know what I "don't know". Thus I identified it as my 'belief', not as 'fact'. :)

Again, I have to ask, are we talking about the Java VM, or the -unrelated- thing called JavaScript? One disable option, or two?

My sympathies.
Some time back, I came across this definition of "Windows": a 32-bit graphical interface for a 16-bit extension to an 8-bit operating system for a 4-bit processor, written by a 2-bit company, without     1 bit of common sense.
"Robert Bonomi" wrote in message

Yes ... Security tab/Scripting.

Yep ... seen that, can't disagree for the most part ... except that, thanks to MSFT, I no longer have to pay $18,000 to IBM for a word processor like I did in 1979.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

thanks
CPM forever!

thanks
You'd could'a gone with WANG... :)

Word Perfect was THAT much? And MicroSoft wrote it?

Word Perfect existed *BEFORE* the IBM PC existed. Several _years_ in fact.
I used version 1.08(!!) on Data General mini-computers in (I think) 1979. DG "Eclipse" machines was it's "native" environment. It was then "ported" to the 8088 architecture.
And we won't even mention the _many_ CP/M word-processors -- e.g. Wordstar, volkswriter, etc. Although, admittedly, most of those _were_ a PITA to use, due to having _only_ a QWERTY keyboard, and no "function keys" or similar.
"Bruce Barnett" wrote in message

thanks
like I

Nope, this was a few years before the IBM PC. The word processor itself was dedicated and called the "IBM DisplayWriter". It was about the only word processor, other than the Wang, available for mid-size company level word processing toward the late 70's, still very much the heyday of the IBM Selectric typewriter.
Secretaries had to go to school on it, and software updates and _mandatory_ maintenance agreements brought the initial, _upfront_ price to over $18,000 with all the bells and whistles ... I remember vividly because t'was I who wrote the check.
IBM had a stranglehold on the market that made the MSFT of today look benign by comparison. Basically, if you're too young to have spent years banging on a typewriter in college, or as part of your job, you're arguably missing a big part of the perspective necessary to make the comparison between the companies, leading to that all too familiar propensity to bash, mainly from those who got into the game after 1981, when the PC was introduced.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

I'm not arguing that $18,000 word software packages existed. But you said that MSFT caused software to be cheap. Word Perfect was first sold in 1979, and it wasn't a Micro$oft product.
Do you still claim that MSFT was the reason for cheap software? I believe that prices would have dropped anyway. $18,000 software on a $3000 computer with millions of potential buyers? THAT's a business plan destined to die!
"Bruce Barnett" wrote in message

<snip>
Do you know what the word "dedicated" meant in the computer business at that place and time?
If, as it appear, you are reading what you wanted to hear (or argue about) into what was actually said, don't bother wasting your time trying to get a rise when it comes to OS bashing.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04