Free SCMS Bench

"Free" got your attention huh? Good, this is for bottom-feeders so read on.

I am just finishing making a bench I threw together from scraps around the shop. The SCMS is a Makita LS1013.

Pics at:

- Top trim is Jarrah from an old floorboard.

- Bottom trim is Tasmanian Oak cut from edging used on another project.

- Trolley is from a BBQ the missus had given the death sentence.

- Finish was a half can of Cabots polyurine that somehow snuck into the shop. It was brushed on with an old brush laying around the shop.

- Chipboard was an odd collection of offcuts, the base is slightly water damaged underneath.

- gap in the trim at the back is for where the dust capture hood will be.

The cut-outs on the feed tables are for the handle to go in when mitering (they are different as the left and right miters on the Makita are different by about 5 degrees due to the motor mount). Pockets were left under the feed tables to allow me to store junk (ok, tools in use) safely away from the spinning thingy.

The reason for the 'fancy' trim was to practice what looks good and what does not. I learned that vertical pieces should be placed first then covered by horizontal pieces, less end-grain looks better.

Cost $0.

Reply to
Groggy

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 10:29:06 GMT, "Groggy" brought forth from the murky depths:

Holy Bleeding Website, Grogs! Them's big and blurry pics, neighbor. Did you -pay- someone to hose 'em for you, or what? Crikey, 638 kb each!

She cleans up nicely, she does.

Ayup. I had "the look".

It sure was, wans't it? 1699 is telling. You should have dusted off the sawdust 'n splinters first, huh?

Hey, you know how to spell "thingy" after all!

Fair dinkum, sport.

I tore down some stained wood in my living room today. One bookshelf disappeared and the other will get a nice white coat of latex this week. I'll replace the junky old Sauder (woodgrain-colored, contact-paper-coated termite barf) stereo stands with a nice entertainment center.

-- If it weren't for jumping to conclusions some of us wouldn't get any exercise.

- Jump-free website programming

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Shucks Larry, I'm not a bloody prima donna web-designer like some of us ya know.

Try

I have cleaned it up and reduced file sizes. Go to SCMS Bench in the menu.

Ta!

Aktually, that is the first coat of poly only. When I said I was "just finishing", it was quite accurate.

Yep, my son chucked the pics onto the server and I just used his labelling. We both know it should be "thingummybob", but we get lazy ;-)

Progress is a good thing Larry, removing termite barf is definitely progress. Unfortunately for me though, ply is a lot more expensive here than in the US of A. Not sure why that is, but it's a darn nuisance.

BTW, why aren't web designers known as "Spiders"?

cheers,

Groggy

Reply to
Groggy

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 02:29:20 GMT, Larry Jaques scribbled:

You're a couple of hunnert years off, Lar. Cabot, (ackshally Giovanni Caboto) the first Italian-Kanuckistani (or is it Kanuckistani-Italian?) landed in Canada in 1497. Yup, 5 years after Columbus. That polyurine must be mighty powerful by now, Grogs.

BTW, Groggy, how did you make sure that your "outriggers" are the same height as the saw bed? When I made a stand for my mitre saw, I mounted it on four short threaded rods that fit into t-nuts. The saw is held up by a couple of nuts and a washer under the saw "legs". So I can do fine adjustments so that everything is level, parallel and coplanar with the saw.

Luigi Replace "nonet" with "yukonomics" for real email address

Reply to
Luigi Zanasi

That it is. Tell me though, how do they get that much from such a little bird?

Well, I got the table nice and flat, then measured the height of the saw bed over the table with an accurate rule. I measured the chipboard to be 16mm (and a hair) - it's supposed to be 16mm but it never seems to be the same.

Then, I subtract 16mm from 115mm table height and add .5mm for safety. Make the cut in scrap and test fit. Seems ok, make the cuts in the actual stock and test fit again. It was a hair oversize, so I shaved a frag off and retested, also checking for level across all three surfaces with a long straight edge. I repeated this process until the outriggers were *just* lower than the saw surface by about .01mm. Paint with poly, and recheck - level.

The main reason for the 'shaving' approach is the saw that I use, it will, on occasion, move just a hair out of alignment. I hope to get a proper cabinet saw this year to fix this issue.

BTW, the remainder of that redgum sleeper segment you own is in use as a vise face, go to

and select vise from the menu.

cheers,

Greg

Reply to
Groggy

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 06:00:49 GMT, "Groggy" brought forth from the murky depths:

See? I knew you could do it.

You'd think they'd put out several grades of inexpensive ewecallapeetus ply, wooncha? Hardwood ply at pineywood prices would be good. Then again, your AUducats aren't as strong as the paper we print here in the UpOver.

Out of the public's good taste and respect for us, I reckon. For the prima donna designers, at least.

-- If it weren't for jumping to conclusions some of us wouldn't get any exercise.

- Jump-free website programming

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 23:20:01 -0800, Luigi Zanasi brought forth from the murky depths:

In case you hadn't noticed, the filenames of the pictures he posted contained 4-digit numbers. It was that to which I referred, eh? Pull up that toque so you can read more clearly, eh, hoser?

SWAG on Grog's part? Nay, was precision marking/cutting. Yeah, that and cardboard shims. I almost forgot those.

-- If it weren't for jumping to conclusions some of us wouldn't get any exercise.

- Jump-free website programming

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 19:47:32 GMT, Larry Jaques scribbled:

Duh, eh!

BTW, where's the pitcher of that Claudia Schiffer $20?

Luigi Replace "nonet" with "yukonomics" for real email address

Luigi Zanasi

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 09:41:31 -0800, Luigi Zanasi brought forth from the murky depths:

emailed just now. I had forgotten. A pic of a grown-up Baby Spice was attached, too. You'll be dehydrated for weeks after drooling over them for awhile.

Comprehensive Website Design

Reply to
Larry Jaques