Free Books

Perhaps not, but the apps themselves tax the hell out of operating systems and the attached hardware. Adobe is notorious for it.

And willing to accept the horrible latency delays of sat transmissions. When I had Starband sat Internet, I found that for small files, I could use a 21kbs dialup connection and get a faster upload than I could with the sat. Blew me away, it did. It had screaming fast downloads, though. Another problem is a penchance for uppity conections during even the slightest rainstorm and complete outages in any kind of snowstorm. I'm much happier with DSL.

And for largescale dataswapping, wireless is still not ready for primetime, IMnsHO.

-- From the Book of Aussie Bush Etiquette:

Never tow another car using pantyhose and duct tape.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Mine is Frontier (formerly Verizon). Pay $99 for phone/net/tv with unlimited domestic long distance. Was worried about Frontier taking over but so far - knock wood - everything's been OK. From my perspective, Verizon Service was terrific and Frontier inherited the people. Had the internet and got the tv as soon as they had the line. Comcast SUCKED.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

My business DroidX smartphone, unlimited data/1300 voice, with all the taxes and gotcha's, is consistently +/- $123/month (which includes the mandatory $20/month unlimited data plan).

My iPad2 (actually assigned a 10 digit phone number by Verizon for 3G cellular data) is $20/month for 1 GB data; no contract, can be turned off or on at will and you can pony up for more in advance as needed (an extra $15/month gets you 3GB data, etc.)

With the iPad, I keep the Cellular turned off 98% of the time. I average about 200MB of 3G cellular data through the device each month, well below the 1GB max. (there is a cellular data usage monitor built-into the iPad). Use the iPad with WiFi whenever possible, either my own at home/office, or a clients location, and 3G only as needed when no WiFi is available (in a large urban area some type of WiFi is available almost everywhere you go these days ... hell, my phone sees available networks when stopped at red lights/traffic.)

uVerse high speed internet for home/home office is $65/month for unlimited/18GB download speed, with built-in wireless router in the RG.

Wife and daughter use their "WiFi only" iPads at home and work ... they are both big NetFlix fans and watch movies/videos on their iPads almost nightly over the uVerse WiFi at home at no extra data cost ... so far).

Reply to
Swingman

Terminology? ... "wireless" is used for "largescale" data streaming all the time ... streaming HD video over wireless is a large scale data stream by most any measure. It's why devices like SlingBox and Apple TV are becoming increasingly popular.

Granted, it depends upon where you live. With an 18GB uVerse connection at home, I consistently get 16GB+ download speeds sitting in my recliner streaming HD video and movies to my iPad with no problems ... and that's "wireless", Bubba!

Apple's "Home Sharing" streams music and videos, via uVerse's built-in wireless router and iTunes on my old Dell laptop, to my iPad anywhere in the house or yard with no hiccups.

Reply to
Swingman

Do you have limited local phone hours, or Internet?

-- From the Book of Aussie Bush Etiquette:

Never tow another car using pantyhose and duct tape.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

OUCH!

Is this an add-on to the Droid account?

There are -very- few WiFi spots here, and the closest are in downtown Grass Pants. That's one price I pay for a serene rural setting.

18Mbps, not GB. But my query was primarily for smart phone packages.

Oh, a wireless DSL router?

-- From the Book of Aussie Bush Etiquette:

Never tow another car using pantyhose and duct tape.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Not bad for a business account. Our internet company phone bill for two was in the range of $800/mo about ten years ago.

Nope, separate account ... and managed from the device itself only.

Tip of the slung ... too many typing "3G".

Reply to
Swingman

Yeah, that is a definite improvement.

Thot so.

-- From the Book of Aussie Bush Etiquette:

Never tow another car using pantyhose and duct tape.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I shoulda used "cellular" instead of "wireless." Hell, they can't even guarantee that I'll hear all the words the cell user is speaking or that they'll hear what I'm saying, or that the line won't be dropped as my sister drives around in the Bay area. I don't think I've ever heard every word spoken during any given cell conversation. It just sucks! The fadeouts of old tech are replaced by garbling or muting of new tech. I guess the data integrity schemes in cellular are massive to keep up with the damned dropouts, unless the DACs are the guilty party in cell tech. Digital may be clean where the DACs flub the analog conversion so voice sucks?

Plan Comparison For the Optimal Experience: Pro Elite Max Max Plus Max Turbo Pro Starting at $35* Elite Starting at $40* Max Starting at $45* Max Plus Starting at $55* Max Turbo Starting at $65* Upstream speeds up to Up to 1 Mbps Up to 1 Mbps Up to 1.5 Mbps Up to 1.5 Mbps Up to 3 Mbps Downstream Speed(s) Up to 3 Mbps Up to 6 Mbps Up to 12 Mbps Up to 18 Mbps Up to 24 Mbps

Not GB, Swingy.

Cool.

-- From the Book of Aussie Bush Etiquette:

Never tow another car using pantyhose and duct tape.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Nothing is limited.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

Except for the NetFlix ...

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

No exceptions, yet ....for "data" which is the basis of the discussion.

However, that could be short lived as ATT kicks in their tiered data plans. Corporate greed, or looking forward to FTTP infrastructure?

With their current profits, at present there is NO justification for doing so with FTTN VDSL except to condition a gullible public to pay more.

Reply to
Swingman

I think that newstap is the only iDevice usenet reader. I really wish that it also used taps for navigation (like most ebook readers).

It also needs to be able to filter on any header (not just the summary ones), with full regexs. That'd allow us to filter crossposts, no-archive tagged posts, paths for name changers etc.

I've suggested these things to the author but seriously doubt that anything will happen.

Reply to
scatter

IMO, there is yet no such thing as a suitable usenet reader for a tablet or smartphone.

Reply to
Swingman