Free Books

Page 1 of 3
For those who are not aware of Google's free eBooks, let me recommend them for furniture styles and hand tool woodworking. Hundreds of titles from the 19th and early 20th centuries.
Search: furniture Click: more Click: books Click: Free Google eBooks (about halfway down the menu column)
These books can be downloaded in pdf format. Ping me if you need help.
LD
Lobby Dosser wrote:

Following your directions, I quickly ran across:
The practical cabinet maker and furniture designer's assistant: with essays ... By Frederick Thomas Hodgson
I only read the preface, but it was an interesting read (on the old versus the new--and in this case, new is about 1910). Interesting stuff.
Bill

Yeah, you can learn a lot from some of this stuff. I haven't seen a treasure trove like this since I worked in a large library 50 years ago! Picked up an Illustrated History of the Civil War a few days ago. I knew google had free eBooks, but just got more deeply into it recently. Warning: it can be a gigantic Time Sink!
You know about the Library of Congress photo archive, right?
--
Ever wonder why doctors, dentists and lawyers have to Practice so much? Ever
wonder why you let them Practice on You?
On 4/6/2011 2:34 AM, Lobby Dosser wrote:

A tablet or ebook reader leverages the experience. I've got quite of a few of them loaded onto my iPad.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

I like the drive-by, sucker!! <grin>
--
Best regards
Han
On 4/6/2011 6:56 AM, Han wrote:

LOL ... a fully expenseable (Sec 179) business TOOL, of course!
Not kidding ... for about four months an iPad has basically taken the place of my laptop for everyday, on-site business use. Easily access e-mail, order/search for material and supplies from the interweb and, using cloud services like DropBox, EverNote and GoogleDocs, can access all project documents, drawings, plans, spreadsheets, portoflios, take hand written notes and can print from most any wifi connection that has a wireless printer attached. Clients love it because the screen size makes viewing plans and documents much easier with instant, on the spot access.
For a contractor, one of the best tools around for day to day operations.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

I was kidding of course! I believe it from what I've heard about it. It's NOT a deductible expense for a retiree like me, although it is an option when this laptop dies.
--
Best regards
Han
On 4/6/2011 7:44 AM, Han wrote:

At this point I could almost forego a laptop if the iPad, or any similar tablet, would run programs like SketchUp ... one of these days. ;)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

That's the problem, it's not a fullfledged computer ...
--
Best regards
Han

Does it do usenet? I have an app for my iPhone, newstap, but I don't really like it.
--
Best regards
Han

I think that newstap is the only iDevice usenet reader. I really wish that it also used taps for navigation (like most ebook readers).
It also needs to be able to filter on any header (not just the summary ones), with full regexs. That'd allow us to filter crossposts, no-archive tagged posts, paths for name changers etc.
I've suggested these things to the author but seriously doubt that anything will happen.
On 4/12/2011 6:51 AM, scatter wrote:

IMO, there is yet no such thing as a suitable usenet reader for a tablet or smartphone.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
On 4/6/11 8:33 AM, Han wrote:

So what? What problem? It was never meant to be. What's a "fullfledged computer" anyways? My phone does a lot more than my first "fullfledged computer."
--

-MIKE-

I'm talking about the iPad replacing my laptop. Can it run Word, Excel, Quicken, Photoshop, or their equivalents?
--
Best regards
Han
On 4/6/11 3:01 PM, Han wrote:

It's not meant to replace a personal computer.
--

-MIKE-

Han wrote:

a lot of those are available in the cloud somewhere, so all you need is a browser. so yes.
On 04/06/2011 01:47 PM, chaniarts wrote:

On Wed, 06 Apr 2011 14:25:41 -0700, Doug Winterburn

and android, for sure, possibly others)- and MANY smart phones can run "word lite" type applications like word mobile / office mobile - right onboard - not from the cloud.

See Android OS. Google makes it. Google makes SketchUp, Picasa (Photoshop like), Google and others make word and excel equivalents for Android. A number of tablets run Android. I've got one I paid $100 for. It only has a 7" screen, but larger Android tablets are available.
On 4/6/2011 3:01 PM, Han wrote:

Bluetooth a keyboard to it and the iPad quite comfortably creates and edits most Office products - Word, Excel, Powerpoint.
Quicken, Photoshop, CAD ... the tablet OS is still a bit immature for fullblown apps of this type at this point, but, and it's a big BUT ....
John Gage of Sun was prescient when he uttered the phrase "... the network is the computer ..." With the advent of cloud computing, the "net" is indeed quickly "becoming the computer" and it won't be long before you won't need local copies of programs like Photoshop ... as above, you don't need most Office Suite software as we speak, which can be accessed on the cloud via any device that can run an http client.
Already, a desktop has basically become totally unnecessary for what I do, and a laptop appears not very far behind.
Then again, I've been around long enough to know that pendulums swing and things go in circles.
Reckon there could well be another resurgence of steam engines before long ... Steam Powered Aeroplane, anyone? :)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010