Franklin ProSensor 710 Precision Stud Finder

Having used it on two jobs since purchase a month ago, it has exceeded my expectations on drywall covered walls. Initially pricey at $50, the ability to locate and mark the center of studs on a cabinet run wall quickly, accurately (even on most insulated, exterior walls) and without the usual guesswork, it paid for itself in time and lack of the usual aggravation on the first job. So far so good. At this point you'd have to steal it to get it away from me, and I'd just buy it again.

Recommended, despite the price, if you often need to accurately mark the center of frame studs in many framed wall applications, particularly with drywall.

Reply to
Swingman

Here's what I use and recommend: dead accurate, no batteries, $18.90

Tom

Reply to
tdacon

Maybe I'll give it a try. I have a couple of Zircons (at least one more expensive than that) that are most unimpressive.

I've found that a pocket full of small rare earth magnets works rather well, too. Mark a whole line on the wall with them.

Reply to
krw

I've used one of those on my last two projects. It does work well although it takes some getting used to after other more 'normal' narrow detectors.

Reply to
BenignBodger

He and I have both been using the rare earth magnets for a few years now. The Franklin shows the edge of the studs. The magnets show where the head of the nail or screw is at and those are not always in the middle of a stud. Works well in a pinch, actually works quite well but the Franklin it is immediately W/O calibration and gives better information.

Reply to
Leon

If you use a bunch and draw sort of a "best fit" line between the magnets, you can get pretty close to the center of the stud. Any errors will average out over the length of the stud. Get more magnets and lay out the entire room. ;-)

I'll definitely look at the Franklin. Like I said, I've bought several Zircons with much disappointment. I see the Franklin on Amazon but not at HomeDespot. Did you find it locally?

Reply to
krw

This is true and if you have lots of time on your hands it works pretty well but bowed studs can really throw this off.

After my 3 or Zircon quit working I finally went to the Magnets. I'm not sure exactly where he got the Franklin, probably Amazon.

Reply to
Leon

The Franklin I ordered from the Sears sale for ~$40 was delivered today. I tried it out on some paneling and was impressed by the display. I think it's a keeper ;-)

Reply to
adsDUMP

I have had one for some years now. I bought one of the 20 buck versions and ended up giving it away. The Franklin is indeed impressive although in installing a new stair handrail in my townhouse, I found that the framing at the top of the stairs defies description. Studs moving every which way. I probably don't want to know. Lots of strange framing stuff in this building. Oh well, I did ultimately find a place to attach the stringer. mahalo, jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn

Swingman wrote in news:977009873427283514.027855kac-nospam.com@216.196.97.131:

Sorry -- Can't use it or any other stud finder since they always goes off when I hold it. I have to get my wife to do it.

(Even sorrier --- I couldn't resist) :)

Reply to
xxxx

Bought mine a couple of months ago. Dumped the other stud finders. Finding studs to do base molding. Talk about fast. Slide .. nail. Havent's missed one yet.

Reply to
a2rjh

On that note, for grins and those who don't know already, an old trim carpenter trick:

If you need a nail in baseboard/molding in an area of drywall without a sill plate or stud, simply shoot two 2" finish nails through the baseboard and drywall about 2" to 3" apart, and angled toward each other at about 45 degrees+ ... put a little liquid nail/adhesive on the back side, if you have to.

Reply to
Swingman

My new Franklin Stud Sensor should arrive tomorrow! ;~)

I have a closet shelving job that I am bidding on for a repeat customer.

Reply to
Leon

Dayum, Bubba ... already had one at the ready at the drop of a hat. ;

Reply to
Swingman

Yes! and I figured that you would respond this way but as we both know when you need the tool, you need the tool. $50 is not prohibitively expensive and I need one often. It's not like it is a one time use thang. ;~) Gave me a chance to join to try out Amazon Prime too! LOL

This tool is as much better than the stack of rare earth magnets as they are to most any other stud finder.

Reply to
Leon

OH! And as a drive by, the Festool work bench with the crosscut miter gauge and track for the TS75 should make this much easier to do on site.

Reply to
Leon

An excellent tip. When the glue is used, the trim will go nowhere.

I started out working for a commercial contractor (not residential) and we had adhesives everywhere. Back in the 70s, few knew (including me) that th ere was such a thing as an engineered adhesive. So when I learned to trim out buildings, we had a lot of different kinds of trims (remember, no nail guns back then!) that we had to get in place to stay. Even with pilot hole s for he nails, small pieces of oak trims and other hardwoods would split w hen you put a 6d in it. Also, there was that "tiny" piece that was a retur n to a wall on a chair rail, and end cap to a piece of crown, or a finishin g piece inside a tight fitting corner.

I started using PL400 then, as that is what they bought for us to use. For a small piece of trim I thought would split, I came up with my own method of attachment. I would get those small pieces and drill a hole a bit bigge r than the nail, large enough for the nail to just slide easily in and out of the hole. Then I would take the nail and put a small "hickey" (bend)in it about 1/4" below the head. A spot of PL400, them drive the nail up, and the hickey would hold the piece of trim in place until it dried.

With today's excellent adhesives, I glue a fair amount of trim. I like to put a spot of adhesive on small trim and just pin it with my pinner as well . If I can get the angle away from the line of site, then I don't even fil l those tiny holes left by the 23 gauge pin.

As a sidebar, I rarely look for studs when I am trimming a house's baseboar d. I make sure I am not backing up to a kitchen or bath, and use a 2 1/2"

15ga nail in the base, nailed at about 45 degrees from about 2 1/2" up from the floor to hit the sill. If there is a gap of no more than 1/8", I leav e it and caulk it with the caulk acting as adhesive. The bottom is capture d by flooring of some kind or another, so I don't worry about that.

Gotta find those studs on 6" base, though. Next kitchen or trim that comes up will probably be buying that Franklin. Just finding the studs reliably in seconds instead of minutes make that a great tool to have.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

Tsk, tsk ... You suck, Bubba!

I want one (MFT and the accy's), but no place to put it, and would have to sleep with it.

Reply to
Swingman

I have one of those older Italian pinners (Omer) that gets used on every job. Only shoots to 11/16, but I rarely need any more than that.

Using it mostly with the thick cyanoacrylate glue for returns and small pieces that are prefinished or will split. Can hold it in place for a few seconds with glue on one side, let go, pin it, and Bob's your uncle.

The Franklin has lived up to its billing for my use. I keep expecting to be let down, but so far...

Reply to
Swingman

Well, you know where to borrow one. ;-)

Reply to