Framing nailer, which one???

Looking for one in the $200-$250 Range.....

What is the advantage/disadvantage of clipped or full round?

Best place to buy? Tool King???

Thanks!

Reply to
Elmar

Well...you know about opinions! I use the stick type and love it for framing and the coil type for roofing. Haven't had any problems with either. I think my decision would be based not only on the price of the nailer but you need to check the price of the nails too. For my money I'd buy another bostich framing nailer!

Reply to
Bruce Litherland

Reply to
Thomas Kendrick

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Elmar) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

In some jurisdictions, it is rumoured that the choice of clipped or full round is governed by code. YMMV

Reply to
patriarch

In some places, the full round heads are required by code. I don't think they are disallowed anywhere.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Wilson

I researched this about a year ago and found out that the guys that repair them do not recommend Dewalt. After that they said choose the one I want. I bought a Senco at Lowes that came with a brad nailer for $256.00. I sold the brad nailer on ebay for $75.00. I am a light user but love my Senco.

AZCRAIG

cm

Reply to
Dave jackson

Will that new FRH also fit a FRH gun, thus being compatible with both types of guns?

Steve P.

Reply to
Steven P

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 09:18:30 GMT, "cm" wrote: Craig makes an excellent point. Within reason, it's not the cost of the nailer to look at first. Repairability, availability of parts and cost/availability of nails are better factors to examine. I gave away my Hilti framer (Hilti no longer makes pneumatic framers) based on the availability of parts and the scarcity of 17-degree nails. Many stick nails come in 20-22, 28 or 31 degree inclinations. If you don't earn a living framing houses, the nail count difference clipped-to-round won't matter.

  1. Go to nearby nail supply and find the most popular box of round-head 3" framing nails.
  2. Read the box to see which nailers will shoot these nails.
  3. Get the nailer with the best repair record which is used by local framing contractors.

Reply to
Thomas Kendrick

Huh?

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Full/round depends on your use and local code, so check it out first. I live in an area where clipped heads are allowed, but I bought full-round because it's (very) slightly stronger and looks much better.

I'm a big supporter of buying used tools. I got a Bostitch framer at a pawn shop for ~$140. It works perfectly. They let me test fire it in the store, but there weren't any nails in it. They had a nice return policy, so I felt no risk. I used it to put up 600 feet of cedar privacy fencing around my yard, and it worked great. Occasional jam if I got moving too fast, but nothing regular.

I say go used and save some cash. My compressor, a used 15-gallon "3HP", is 15 years old, and cost me $50 at a garage sale. It's been working like a champ for 2 years.

-Mike

Reply to
Mike Reed

Others have made good points. However, some codes require a .161" vs. the .131" 16p nail. Many of the less expensive nailers will not fire the .161 nail. I use both the Hitachi and the PC. They both work fine however the PC has a tendency to double fire more often.

All of the new nailers are designed not to allow rapid-fire nailing. (Holding trigger and bouncing the gun.) Although they can be modified easily. Unfortunately, neither is in your price range.

You should be able to buy one used in that range. As for serviceability, all of the local shops have Hitachi parts is stock and most have the PC stuff as well.

Dave

Reply to
TeamCasa

I don't believe so, the FRH has the head of the nail in the middle of the shank, whereas the FRH for a clipped head nail compatible gun has the full head of the nail, but it's offset from the shank. Also, clipped head and typical FRH are collated differently. hope this makes sense! hard one to explain.--dave

Reply to
Dave jackson

I prefer the Senco but recently I needed a nail gun on a weekend and bought a cheap Harbor Freight full head gun for $99.00 and figured it would work good for this one job.... Its been as good a gun as my Senco and has not jammed the first time yet and its had about 6 boxes of nails through it so far...

Reply to
Mark Hopkins

Thanks for all of the feedback thus far. I found a refurbed Bostitch full round nailer at HD for $175.00. I didn't realize HD sold them but the guy in tools offered on too me. I have 30 days to return it if it doesn't work well for me. So I will give it a whirl.

Elamr

Reply to
Elmar

As a contractor who does framing, I've been through Hilti, senco, duofast, and bostich. I now use the Hitachi. They shoot most brand nails with no problem. Local code doesn't allow clipped head fwiw. I have 5 of them and have yet to have any problems with my oldest one which is 6 years old now. I buy mine at the borg but amazon is about the same price. Make sure to get the one with the flush nail attachment. Also from the fwiw dept, I've had trouble with the Hilti. I understand they don't make them anymore. Good choice on their part. They were junk. Also have had probs with the bostich (it actually broke in three different places). Never again. We still have the senco but the guys prefer the hitachis. The duofast was a good (but heavy) machine. I think they quit using it back in the 80's. Good luck. SH

Reply to
Slowhand

Sadly I bought the cheap HF clipped head nailer and it's a complete piece of junk. I've had great luck with their brad nailers but this framing nailer is garbage. Continually fires multiple times and jams.

First firing of this gun put a 3" nail in the side of my wrist!!!!

I bought the Bostitch today and it seems to shoot VERY well. I also went to full head versus clipped.

I am using it primarily to build sheds so the codes aren't quite as stringent as home building.

Reply to
Elmar

I have the Hitachi FRH nailer. Great nailer. It's an older model still set up to bounce-fire only. The newer ones have selectable fire without replacing the trigger. Nails available everywhere.

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 16:23:41 -0700, "Slowhand" and bostich. I now use the Hitachi. They shoot most brand nails with no

Reply to
Thomas Kendrick

No, that makes complete sense. Thanks.

Steve P.