Framing nailer, which one???

Page 1 of 2
Looking for one in the $200-$250 Range.....
What is the advantage/disadvantage of clipped or full round?
Best place to buy? Tool King???
Thanks!
Well...you know about opinions! I use the stick type and love it for framing and the coil type for roofing. Haven't had any problems with either. I think my decision would be based not only on the price of the nailer but you need to check the price of the nails too. For my money I'd buy another bostich framing nailer!
The clipped-head hold more in the magazine due to the overlap. Best place to buy - find out where the framing contractors in your area buy their nails. Get the nailer which they use - it will be the most reliable and use the least expensive nails.
On 30 Aug 2004 20:01:16 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Elmar) wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Elmar) wrote in

In some jurisdictions, it is rumoured that the choice of clipped or full round is governed by code. YMMV

In some places, the full round heads are required by code. I don't think they are disallowed anywhere.
Jim
I researched this about a year ago and found out that the guys that repair them do not recommend Dewalt. After that they said choose the one I want. I bought a Senco at Lowes that came with a brad nailer for $256.00. I sold the brad nailer on ebay for $75.00. I am a light user but love my Senco.
AZCRAIG
www.azcraig.us

wrote: Craig makes an excellent point. Within reason, it's not the cost of the nailer to look at first. Repairability, availability of parts and cost/availability of nails are better factors to examine. I gave away my Hilti framer (Hilti no longer makes pneumatic framers) based on the availability of parts and the scarcity of 17-degree nails. Many stick nails come in 20-22, 28 or 31 degree inclinations. If you don't earn a living framing houses, the nail count difference clipped-to-round won't matter.
1. Go to nearby nail supply and find the most popular box of round-head 3" framing nails. 2. Read the box to see which nailers will shoot these nails. 3. Get the nailer with the best repair record which is used by local framing contractors.

After purchasing several sencos and a porter cable framer, i suggest either one. (I use framing guns a lot) the PC had a larger magazine, but was heavier than the sencos. The Sencos unjam easier. Both perform well. I would get a clipped head, they are more common. The full round are usually plastic collated strips, sometimes the plastic will fly onto your body when shooting and it can hurt. Senco has developed a full head nail to fit a clipped head nailer-- the nail head is full, but offset from the shank of the nail, so code issues shouldn't be a problem. Both guns are in the $250 or so range here. -dave

Will that new FRH also fit a FRH gun, thus being compatible with both types of guns?
Steve P.

Steven P wrote:

Huh?
I don't believe so, the FRH has the head of the nail in the middle of the shank, whereas the FRH for a clipped head nail compatible gun has the full head of the nail, but it's offset from the shank. Also, clipped head and typical FRH are collated differently. hope this makes sense! hard one to explain.--dave

No, that makes complete sense. Thanks.
Steve P.

Full/round depends on your use and local code, so check it out first. I live in an area where clipped heads are allowed, but I bought full-round because it's (very) slightly stronger and looks much better.
I'm a big supporter of buying used tools. I got a Bostitch framer at a pawn shop for ~$140. It works perfectly. They let me test fire it in the store, but there weren't any nails in it. They had a nice return policy, so I felt no risk. I used it to put up 600 feet of cedar privacy fencing around my yard, and it worked great. Occasional jam if I got moving too fast, but nothing regular.
I say go used and save some cash. My compressor, a used 15-gallon "3HP", is 15 years old, and cost me $50 at a garage sale. It's been working like a champ for 2 years.
-Mike
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Elmar) wrote in message

Thanks for all of the feedback thus far. I found a refurbed Bostitch full round nailer at HD for $175.00. I didn't realize HD sold them but the guy in tools offered on too me. I have 30 days to return it if it doesn't work well for me. So I will give it a whirl.
Elamr
Others have made good points. However, some codes require a .161" vs. the .131" 16p nail. Many of the less expensive nailers will not fire the .161 nail. I use both the Hitachi and the PC. They both work fine however the PC has a tendency to double fire more often.
All of the new nailers are designed not to allow rapid-fire nailing. (Holding trigger and bouncing the gun.) Although they can be modified easily. Unfortunately, neither is in your price range.
You should be able to buy one used in that range. As for serviceability, all of the local shops have Hitachi parts is stock and most have the PC stuff as well.
Dave

I prefer the Senco but recently I needed a nail gun on a weekend and bought a cheap Harbor Freight full head gun for $99.00 and figured it would work good for this one job.... Its been as good a gun as my Senco and has not jammed the first time yet and its had about 6 boxes of nails through it so far...

Sadly I bought the cheap HF clipped head nailer and it's a complete piece of junk. I've had great luck with their brad nailers but this framing nailer is garbage. Continually fires multiple times and jams.
First firing of this gun put a 3" nail in the side of my wrist!!!!
I bought the Bostitch today and it seems to shoot VERY well. I also went to full head versus clipped.
I am using it primarily to build sheds so the codes aren't quite as stringent as home building.

Maybe you shouldn't point it at your wrist.

That's a problem with your technique. If you hold it down and keep the trigger depressed its going to multiple fire and jam. I used to do that with a Paslode when I was a rookie. I have done it with my HF, but usually when I have it in an awkward position.
The HF is so close to the Porter Cable I was considering buying their trigger kit (to avoid double fires) and seeing if it would fit.

First rule of all pneumatic nailers. Hold body parts further than the distance of the nail. I've got Sencos otherwise and the nails will travel sideways now and then because of the grain. I certainly don't think its the guns fault.

I've got a great xray of, er, "someone's" left index finger with a framing nail from a Senco nailgun in it. It doubled, the second nail hit the head of the first nail, and went flying at least 6-8 inches into the tip of the finger. Went in lengthwise, missed everything important. All things considered it could have been much worse. Hasn't doubled before or since, though.