Framing nailer

Bout a Porter Cable nailer from the great Home Depot. I asked for some framing nails. The fellow give me a box of them and said this was what I needed.

Well, I get back to the farm, some 80 miles away. Open up the owners manual and it tells me to use 22 degree round head nails. I look at the box and it is 30 degree full head nails.

Question, will it make any difference if I use the 30 degree or should I be prepared to go back to Home Depot and give the manager a piece of my mind. AGAIN!

Reply to
JC

Some nailers can use several different types of nails, most can't. If yours doesn't say it can use 30 degree nails, I wouldn't use them.

You have NOWHERE that sells (or can get) framing nails, less than 80 miles away? Maybe a rental house, farm supply, hardware store, or local lumber yard? 22 degree framing nails aren't exactly space shuttle parts.

**
**

B A R R Y

None that are open on Sunday. Thanks for the response. Appreciate it.

JC

Reply to
JC

And you believed him? :-)

You can't, even if you try. They won't fit in the gun. But the bigger issue is clipped head vs. full head: if you try to shoot full-head nails in a clipped-head gun, you'll damage the gun.

Reply to
Doug Miller

My bet is next time you will be sure before you leave to store! You can not trust the droids at most any home store. Greg

Reply to
Greg O

Thanks much. Appreciate it. Back to the old Depot.

JC

Reply to
JC

Yeah - sometimes they are no better than the droids that come in there expecting them to know everything that they themselves don't know. Bet it said right on the box, the proper nails to use in the gun. Bet that wasn't enough...

Reply to
Mike Marlow

I've felt that pain...

Reply to
B A R R Y

Asking someone who works in a hardware store is the wrong approach if you don't know yourself? Expecting people who do something for a living to know what they're talking about is a poor policy? I grant you that believing what anyone at Hell Depot says is a long shot, but that's more about how poorly that company is run than it is about this particular customer's wisdom.

Reply to
DGDevin

That's why beer exists.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I'm frew fo da day. After steaming for awhile I had the same idee. Now, 3.5 six packs later, I'm callin it a day. I'll git the damn nails tommorie.

Thinks for y'alls hep.

An yea I tipe better'n I spill, sepll, aw hell you know what I meen.

Reply to
JC

When you go back to the store, calmly ask the store manager to pay for your gas. He'll say no, then ask him if he takes responsibility for the people he hires or is he just as ignorant as the people he hires. If his employees cost you that much money for their mistakes why should you pay for them. If it's just human error,, remember it's his humans not yours. And if he doesn't like the idea, tell him what your time is worth. If he still refuses to make it up to you, don't accidentally trip into a display that could break on the way out. After all it's only human error. Lou

Reply to
Lou

Not always.

My Paslode fires clipped or round.

Reply to
Tom Watson

You pose a good point. I should have phrased my response better. Yes - I do believe those people should be knowledgeable to some high degree. That said, tools like that specify the proper nail. They even typically put it on the box. I don't dismiss the obligation of a store to hire, train and maintain educated staff, but at the same time, I don't dismiss the obligation of the buyer to assume the most basic of responsibilities. Such as... read the box.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

I really want to be there to watch the next time you screw up in that human sort of way. $100 right here and now says you don't hold yourself to the same standard. Lots of talk...

Reply to
Mike Marlow

AMEN, Mike. No shit. That has ALWAYS been my experience in working with vendors, employees, clients.... pretty much everyone. The more intolerant, self righteous and indignant they get about someone else's mistakes, the easier they are on themselves.

At least we didn't have to read the patented, copyrighted, "pimple faced kid" story in that load of crap. He could have told a great story of how he planned to humiliate and embarass some kid in an entry level position.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

I'll take that bet anytime, anywhere. You're not worth a damn if you don't hold yourself to a high standard. The same goes for all of your crew, employee's even family. I don't make stupid mistakes that cost others that I'm not willing to take responsibility for and I don't let other walk away from it either. If you're not willing to take responsibility for what you do then you should sit at home. Lou

Reply to
Lou

Yeah, seeking revenge and lowering yourself to a lower level sounds like the kind of "High Standard" I can easily do with out.

The same goes for all of your crew, employee's even family.

Yeah, I bet you are judge of all of that also.

Reply to
Leon

Not always.

My Paslode fires clipped or round.

AND IIRC nothing was said about clipped head nails in the first place.

Reply to
Leon

Calm down everybody, I've solved the problem. Just before I called it a day yesterday, and after the 3.5 sixpacks of Bud, I thought to myself, this is not a problem. So, I loaded up the 30 degree nails into the 22 degree nail gun, tilted the nail gun an additional 8 degrees and everything went fine.

JC

PS: Don't try this at home, especially when sober.

Reply to
JC