Framing nailer

Page 1 of 2
Bout a Porter Cable nailer from the great Home Depot. I asked for some framing nails. The fellow give me a box of them and said this was what I needed.
Well, I get back to the farm, some 80 miles away. Open up the owners manual and it tells me to use 22 degree round head nails. I look at the box and it is 30 degree full head nails.
Question, will it make any difference if I use the 30 degree or should I be prepared to go back to Home Depot and give the manager a piece of my mind. AGAIN!
--
I'm JC and I approved this message.

Some nailers can use several different types of nails, most can't. If yours doesn't say it can use 30 degree nails, I wouldn't use them.
You have NOWHERE that sells (or can get) framing nails, less than 80 miles away? Maybe a rental house, farm supply, hardware store, or local lumber yard? 22 degree framing nails aren't exactly space shuttle parts.

None that are open on Sunday. Thanks for the response. Appreciate it.
JC
JC wrote:

I've felt that pain...
JC wrote:

"B A R R Y" wrote:

That's why beer exists.
Lew

I'm frew fo da day. After steaming for awhile I had the same idee. Now, 3.5 six packs later, I'm callin it a day. I'll git the damn nails tommorie.
Thinks for y'alls hep.
An yea I tipe better'n I spill, sepll, aw hell you know what I meen.

When you go back to the store, calmly ask the store manager to pay for your gas. He'll say no, then ask him if he takes responsibility for the people he hires or is he just as ignorant as the people he hires. If his employees cost you that much money for their mistakes why should you pay for them. If it's just human error,, remember it's his humans not yours. And if he doesn't like the idea, tell him what your time is worth. If he still refuses to make it up to you, don't accidentally trip into a display that could break on the way out. After all it's only human error. Lou

I really want to be there to watch the next time you screw up in that human sort of way. $100 right here and now says you don't hold yourself to the same standard. Lots of talk...
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

AMEN, Mike. No shit. That has ALWAYS been my experience in working with vendors, employees, clients.... pretty much everyone. The more intolerant, self righteous and indignant they get about someone else's mistakes, the easier they are on themselves.
At least we didn't have to read the patented, copyrighted, "pimple faced kid" story in that load of crap. He could have told a great story of how he planned to humiliate and embarass some kid in an entry level position.
Robert

I'll take that bet anytime, anywhere. You're not worth a damn if you don't hold yourself to a high standard. The same goes for all of your crew, employee's even family. I don't make stupid mistakes that cost others that I'm not willing to take responsibility for and I don't let other walk away from it either. If you're not willing to take responsibility for what you do then you should sit at home. Lou

Yeah, seeking revenge and lowering yourself to a lower level sounds like the kind of "High Standard" I can easily do with out.
The same goes for all of your crew, employee's even family.

Yeah, I bet you are judge of all of that also.

Calm down everybody, I've solved the problem. Just before I called it a day yesterday, and after the 3.5 sixpacks of Bud, I thought to myself, this is not a problem. So, I loaded up the 30 degree nails into the 22 degree nail gun, tilted the nail gun an additional 8 degrees and everything went fine.
JC
PS: Don't try this at home, especially when sober.
RIGHT, HE SAID "ROUND" AND "FULL" (op)
And, if you have to drive 80 miles to find a Home Depot to save a few bucks, you need be prepared to read the box and manual/instructions yourself.
With what they pay HD/Lowes employees, expecting English Comprehension is going a bit far!
In my experience the three words they find most difficult to express are: 1. I, 2. Don't, 3. Know. A close second are the next four 1. But, 2. I'll, 3. Find, 4. Out (pardon me for counting contractions as a single word.
I've had these guys go on for several minutes talking around the point in response to a simple direct question.
But blaming them for selling you the wrong box of clearly-marked nails is a stretch.
As someone else suggested, visit a nai/nail-gun distributor if you need expert advice and intend to rely upon the information offered by the employees. You will also be doing a solid for American Small Business's
"Hoosierpopi" wrote:

Can't comment on Lowes, but can on H/D since I have a friend who works there.
Things have certainly changed since the founders sold H/D.
Gone are the days when employees were considered assets,
Today, employees are treated as a disposable resource.
The result is a basic 8-5 attitude.
H/D is reaping what they sew.
It is a place I wouldn't want to work.
Lew

Having been in the big corporate world, let me explain it to you. I can hire a high school drop out for 5.50 an hour. They'll work pretty hard looking for raises. So, I give them three bumps over the course of maybe 18 months. By that time they have reached their comfort level and we're not going to get any more out of them. So, it's much cheaper to let them go and start over again with a new high school drop out. Now, I was with a very large nationwide insurance company and that's how we did it so you can imagaine how a lumber yard would do it.

In my state, that would be $7.65/hr. <G>
"JC" wrote:

BTDT, having been an employee of one of the Forbes top 5, which is why I'm self employed these days.

If you are referring to Nationwide Ins, Columbus, Oh, having had a couple of relatives who are agents, can probably swap lies with you on an even basis<G>
Lew

The insurance "corporate world" hiring high school drop outs explains a lot, and confirmed many of my suspicions. I'm betting many of those drop outs are in charge now.
.

LOL!

Perfect!