framing nailer...

Hello,
I'm in the process of getting a Xmas gift for myself...
What gun should I be looking at? I don't need a commercial gun just a mid range. Were would be a good place to buy this in Canada. I'm looking for a good deal :c)
Chistian
When I talked to the guys that repair framing nailers they liked Hitachi and Senco---in that order and disliked Dewalt. I bought a Senco for $259.00 at Lowes and it came with a brad nailer which I sold on ebay for $80.00. We use the Senco in our Home repair business and have been really happy with it.
AZCRAIG
www.azcraig.us

The two framers that I recommend are the Hitachi NR83A (round head), the Paslode F350S (clipped head). Both are available on Ebay at very reasonable prices (saw one this evening currently bid at less than $20USD). Both tools have been around for several years and are popular with framing contractors in the US. Parts availability and nail availability should not be a problem.
The Porter-Cable FR350 (round head) and FC350 (clipped head) would also give good service.
Check your rental businesses and see what they want for a used framer as well.
A non-commercial gun is also called a hammer.

Should I look at a rond head or clipped?

I love it...
C.

I just read somewhere that clipped heads are going away. Some building inspectors don't allow them. At least check it out before you invest.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

but the gun head is a light weight casting. Some times when you need to nudge and 2x4 over a little and give it a good hit with the nail gun you might damage a light weight gun. Also as noted you need to look into round head or clipped. I know in my area "coastal bend of TX" the windstorm guy **really** are pushing to get rid of clipped head, and it's only a matter of time.
Paslode is starting to roll out offset round-head nails which feed in current clipped-head framing nailers. You can find them at suppliers to framing contractors but it will likely be some time before the home centers carry them. Once they're driven, you can't tell the difference. The Hitachi NR83A2 drives round head nails, has depth adjustment and a selective trigger (bump-fire vs. restrictive-fire) as all the newer framers do.

Hi, Just went through this. Amazon has the Porter framing guns for $230. They are running a $25.00 special for porter guns. Therefore, price is $205 no tax, and free shipping.
Good luck. -jack

IMHO, it matters more what, where and how you plan on using it.
I build houses for the poor in Mexico and the nail guns I have three, the Porter Cable, FR350, Hitachi NR83 and the Paslode F350S. I teach volunteers to use the PC and Hitachi. I rarely break-out the Paslode. All guns work well and hold up to abuse.
The gun I use at home is the PC FR350M. It allows me to use larger gauge nails (16d .162 vs the standard .131) In some cities, they will not permit clipped head or .131 nails.
Bottom line is, if you are going to use it for business, get the nailer that will fire the 16d commons. If hobby or occasional use, buy the FR350 or Hitachi NR83. Stay away from the chepo brands.
Dave

hitachi nr83a You won't be disapointed. SH