Framing Lumber

Why do studs cost more than 8 footers, and consist of crappier lumber.

Seriously. Kiln dried 2x4 8s in two different stores were cheaper and mostly straight. Their stud length was wet, moldy, twisted, splintering and split, and atleast 10% (maybe more) had signs of powder post beatle damage. I decided it wasn't worth the convenience of not having to cut a few inches off the end.

I found the same thing with the 2X6s.

I just bought 8 footers and spent an hour lopping off the ends with the miter saw. Framing is so much nicer with decent lumber.

I hope nobody is actually building houses with that crap.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Mabee not building, but renovating. Lot's of people will pay more for the crap so they don't need to cut.

Reply to
clare

usually studs are bought in large quantities and delivered to the job by truck and one always expects a certain amount that will be good for blocks etc

they are used for walls so they get used

but why worry if you have a choice you can use other wood

i like select or #1 to minimize surprises

Reply to
Electric Comet

Straight grain that can handle load end to end without splitting. Martin

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

There is the answer. On a jobsite that is $50 or so.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

That circumstance is always subject to change upon delivery of the next pallet off the boxcar to the lumber dealer ... might be the other way around on the next boxcar load.

Trust me, someone is ... guaranteed.

It doesn't happen often, mainly for the reasons below, but I have been known to refuse a load of material that was not up to my standards for the purpose for which it was purchased.

Benefit of having a long standing _credit_ account with one of the biggest lumber yards in this area; and their/my sales rep, with whom I've been dealing for 15 years, is well aware that I make it a point to personally inspect and sign off on every delivery, before it is unloaded.

Only took a time or two to get some personal involvement before it left the yard ... but they know I'm gonna exercise a bit of judgement/provide some wiggle room ... nothing is perfect, but it might be perfect enough, providing you know how to handle less than perfect material and and make it work without detriment to the project. ;)

Reply to
Swingman

Bingo ... or more in this day and age.

Reply to
Swingman

Yeah, not this stuff. A lot of it was already splitting, and it was worse in almost every respect than the regular dimensional lumber. Not just one or two bails either.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

did you say what kind of wood

are you talking fir or something else

was the wood indoors

studs are meant to be used soon after harvesting but at a home supply they sit around and do what they do

once cover with siding and drywall and blocked and nailed and screwed harder for them do what they do unconstrained

Reply to
Electric Comet

Cite, please?

Reply to
-MIKE-

Around here virtually all construction lumber is "SPF" - Spruce/Pine/Fir mixed - sometimes with some hemlock or Tamarak thrown in for good measure - any "white" softwood they can get their hands on.

Reply to
clare

The big thing is if they are not kiln dried you can NOT leave them sitting out in the sun and expect them to remain anything close to straight. Even kiln dried is not good to leave laying out in the open. Get them from the bale to installed as soon as possible for best results.

Reply to
clare

That has nothing do do with the time from harvesting. I don't know of any framing lumber that isn't kiln dried. What you said can be said of any raw wood product, including most laminated ones.

The fact is, as long as kiln dried lumber is banded and out of the elements it can be stored for years with no adverse effects.

Reply to
-MIKE-

All in the same board?

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Never used Monsanto lumber?

Reply to
krw

Nope - but you have no choice. It's "whatever was standing" when they cleaer cut.

Reply to
clare

Yes, they grow the Azek brand. Paint built in right at the tree.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

op never said which wood they were describing

but there are always choices and one is not to buy the crap and sometimes you have to go somewhere else or choose a better grade

Reply to
Electric Comet

The op said precut studs. Generally speeking they are lower quality than general dimensional lumber sold at the same yard

Reply to
clare