Framing Lumber

Page 1 of 3
Why do studs cost more than 8 footers, and consist of crappier lumber.
Seriously. Kiln dried 2x4 8s in two different stores were cheaper and mostly straight. Their stud length was wet, moldy, twisted, splintering and split, and atleast 10% (maybe more) had signs of powder post beatle damage. I decided it wasn't worth the convenience of not having to cut a few inches off the end.
I found the same thing with the 2X6s.
I just bought 8 footers and spent an hour lopping off the ends with the miter saw. Framing is so much nicer with decent lumber.
I hope nobody is actually building houses with that crap.

Mabee not building, but renovating. Lot's of people will pay more for the crap so they don't need to cut.

On Fri, 15 Jul 2016 16:46:03 -0700

usually studs are bought in large quantities and delivered to the job by truck and one always expects a certain amount that will be good for blocks etc

that is interesting

they are used for walls so they get used
but why worry if you have a choice you can use other wood
i like select or #1 to minimize surprises
Straight grain that can handle load end to end without splitting. Martin
On 7/15/2016 6:46 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:

Yeah, not this stuff. A lot of it was already splitting, and it was worse in almost every respect than the regular dimensional lumber. Not just one or two bails either.
On Sat, 16 Jul 2016 11:48:22 -0700

did you say what kind of wood
are you talking fir or something else
was the wood indoors
studs are meant to be used soon after harvesting but at a home supply they sit around and do what they do
once cover with siding and drywall and blocked and nailed and screwed harder for them do what they do unconstrained
On 7/16/16 3:15 PM, Electric Comet wrote:

Cite, please?
--

-MIKE-

The big thing is if they are not kiln dried you can NOT leave them sitting out in the sun and expect them to remain anything close to straight. Even kiln dried is not good to leave laying out in the open. Get them from the bale to installed as soon as possible for best results.
On 7/16/16 8:53 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

That has nothing do do with the time from harvesting. I don't know of any framing lumber that isn't kiln dried. What you said can be said of any raw wood product, including most laminated ones.
The fact is, as long as kiln dried lumber is banded and out of the elements it can be stored for years with no adverse effects.
--

-MIKE-

On Sat, 16 Jul 2016 13:15:15 -0700, Electric Comet

Around here virtually all construction lumber is "SPF" - Spruce/Pine/Fir mixed - sometimes with some hemlock or Tamarak thrown in for good measure - any "white" softwood they can get their hands on.

On 7/16/2016 9:50 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

All in the same board?

Never used Monsanto lumber?

Yes, they grow the Azek brand. Paint built in right at the tree.

Nevermind...

Nope - but you have no choice. It's "whatever was standing" when they cleaer cut.
On Sat, 16 Jul 2016 21:50:38 -0400 snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

op never said which wood they were describing
but there are always choices and one is not to buy the crap and sometimes you have to go somewhere else or choose a better grade
On Tue, 19 Jul 2016 09:37:26 -0700, Electric Comet

The op said precut studs. Generally speeking they are lower quality than general dimensional lumber sold at the same yard

On Tue, 19 Jul 2016 20:33:30 -0400 snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

op still did not say what kind of wood they were talking about even though they clearly mentioned studs

OP probably didn't say because OP didn't know because OP was not shopping at a specialty hardwood lumber dealer, and general lumberyards don't say what kind of wood they're selling. As clare said (and you apparently missed), construction lumber is just called "SPF". That's all the OP is likely to have known.
John
On Wed, 20 Jul 2016 20:19:54 -0000 (UTC), John McCoy

The electric comet likely didn't see my post because he plonked me when he got "p"'d off at me for calling him out where he was wrong some-where in the past.