Frame & panel doors, with really thick panels?

In a woodworkers shop I found a cabinet very similar to the one I am working on, so I studied it pretty carefully.

His frame and panel doors have 3/4" frames and 1/2" thick panels. I haven't seen anything like that before, and didn't like it.

Is that a particular style? It just looks coarse, but if it is a style...

Reply to
toller

If you don't have a backcutter, you can raise a 1/2" panel to keep the face of the panel flush with the doorframe. With the door closed you can't tell the difference and not one person in 20 will look at the back. The backcutter is pretty cheap, so if you have 3/4 wood, go for it! Wilson

Reply to
Wilson Lamb

No this was a simple slot cut in the frame, so the panel was recessed a eighth on each side.

Reply to
toller