Frame and Panel Question

Hi All, So I am starting or rather continuing to work on the design for a large dresser that I will be my next project. I plan to use solid wood construction throughout and am wondering about the back of the case. I intend to use frame and panel style inserted into a rabbet in the case.

My question is there a size of panel that is too large? The overall dimensions for the case are going to 60" x 36". I was planning on dividing the back into two panels, with a somewhat large frame. This would make each panel about 24" x 30" or so. If thius too large? Or am I being overly cautious?

Thanks in advance for the wisdom

Andrew

Reply to
Tattooed and Dusty

You're making dust frames too? If so, single panel, rabbeted on the edges and tacked to dust frames would be just fine. More places secured, more structural stiffening supplied.

Reply to
George

I would use at least 3 panels or maybe even 4, this would allow for the wood that you will have with that large of a span, wood will move approx.

1/4" for every 12" of width. When you use fewer panels , you might expose the end of your tenons, as the wood contracts , or if your wood is on the damp side it could push your joint apart.

Ken

Reply to
Ken