frame 1" melamine particle board with 1x3

Page 2 of 2
Christopher Glaeser wrote:

You got a good one, then. Mine was definitely built on a Friday afternoon, as it's one of the worst built things I've ever seen. Nothing about the 1x3 frame is square or flush. I almost rebuilt the thing, but then I figured I don't really care, because it's underneath and just there to hold up the melamine top, but I certainly would expect more from.... wait a sec. No, I don't expect more from "American" tool companies, anymore.
--

-MIKE-

Mine is so flush and smooth, it appears that the top was reduced flush and sanded on a machine. Apparently, I got the Tueday mornng copy.
Best, Christopher
Christopher Glaeser wrote:

Yeah, Monday mornings and Friday afternoons are the worst. :-)
I'm having trouble picturing exactly what you're describing. If you're bored enough, take some pics and post them. If not, no biggie, I'm just curious.
--

-MIKE-

Sure, I'll post a photo. This description may help in the interim. Build a rectangle using 1x3, with the 1x3 standing on edge. Add three 1x3 cross members, again standing edge. Then, glue 1" melamine mdf table top *on top* of the 1x3 lattice structure (mdf particles are still visible around the sides of the mdf). The structure now stands 4" high. When you run your hand across the 1x3-mdf seam transition with your eyes closed, it feels like a very smooth 1x4. I suppose this could be constructed on jig, but it feels like the material was reduced after gluing.
These precise edges make sense, because this Delta top is designed to line up perfectly with the cast iron and other components. It's ten years old if that means anything. :)
Best, Christopher
Christopher Glaeser wrote:

No pic necessary, now. On mine, the mdf has laminated sides as well as top, so that was causing my brainfart. And it looks like someone put the frame together one-handed, while posting in here with the other. :-)

It may. Those components may have been made here, instead of overseas, then. Or they've automated the process.
--

-MIKE-

" What is an ideal method to frame a simple workshop table made from 1" melamine particle board and 1x3? Screws/glue? "Can screws potentially pull loose and ream out the particle board? " Christopher
First off, what do you mean by "frame?" Upon the assumption that you mean to wrap the perimeter with the 1 x 3 material which one assumes is solid wood, one still needs to know the intended orientation planned for the 1 x 3 material relative to the sheet of Melamine coated particle board. If the orientation is perpendicular to the plane of the Melamine screws would certainly be feasible whereas going through the 3" to get to the Melamine would not be IMHO.
Now, if you were cutting a rabbit into the 1 x 3" material so that it formed both edging and support, screws could be used.
But, glue would be used were I building the thing with finish nails (as I have a nice pneumatic finish nail gun). Of course, I only have a vision in my head of what I think you have in yours and that may make the discussion frustrating on both ends.