Fourty Cent Method - Hollow Chisel Mortiser

Sorry for posting this this way, but I figured that the OP is probably below everyone's radar by now.
I just wanted to thank Morris Dovey, Jack Novak, and Charlie B and the OP and whoever else participated in this post - I tried it last night and it worked like a charm!!! I've had this thing for a year, and it's been screeching nearly the whole time. I couldn't figure out why it didn't work like Norm's did on TV, and it was starting to frustrate me.
I printed it and have it posted on the wall by my mortiser. My newest tool(s) are (is?) fourty cents - nickel, dime, quarter, and they now proudly reside in the drawer under my mortiser (hope SWMBO doesn't find out about that!!) - Yet another example of how valuable this newsgroup is - ;-))
Thanks again guys!!
Nick B
Can you repost what it was that was the problem and how 40 cents solved it???

below
work
proudly
I hope charlie b and others won't mind, but here's the link http://home.comcast.net/~charliebcz/MChiselBitSettingTrick.html
Mine was screaching and screaming when I ran it, and it didn't cut worth a damn. I had bought some aftermarket chisels and bits but even they didn't work well. It's all in the setting of the space between the chisel and the bit.
Nice to have my tool back!!
Nick B.

Very kewl - thanks for the tip.
Thats one of those little things that should be in the instruction booklet!!!

OP
it
about
It is, after a fashion, in the JET manual.

probably
the
and
didn't
"George" wrote in message

Also spelled out, if not counted out, in the Delta manual for my machine ... but you gotta read it to get the benefit.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 7/10/04

"Rob V" wrote in message

That's no damn excuse. ;>)
http://www.wmhtoolgroup.com/index.cfm?area=shop&action=vendors&vid=1&CIDr
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 7/10/04

PDF downloads at the WMH Tool site (or www.jettools.com). Don't know if the manual you need is among the several offered for mortisers, but they have some.
Charlie Self "A conservative is a man with two perfectly good legs who, however, has never learned to walk forward." Franklin D. Roosevelt, radio address, Oct. 26, 1939
Hey - where can we get one of those kits??
Sorry - someone had to ask :)

OP
it
about
Robin Lee wrote:

Veritas Mortising Chisel/Bit Setting Kit $1 US $ 1.44 CND 2.800 ITAL 0.65 EURO 0.70 DM (please specify country as kit components vary by country)
Hmmm.
Never mind.
charlie b
ps: The saddle dovetail marking gauge is nice but it would be even better if it had the additional feature described & shown here.
http://home.comcast.net/~charliebcz/DovetailDrawer17A.html
Because the centerline of either the pins or the tails are layed out first (unless you're Frank Klausz, in which case you don't use any layout lines), it would be nice to see the centerline while laying out the pin (or tail) angle lines.
The "All rights reserved" thing isn't applicable to Lee Valley/Veritas - you folks are welcome to the idea - no strings. A token of appreciation for all the things you've already done for wood workers.
Nick Bozovich wrote:

You're welcome - although all I did was say thanks to Charlie B for posing the link... (-8
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto, Iowa USA
Nick Bozovich wrote:
snip

Probably the cheapest tool you've ever acquired (gifts don't count).
If you have a Dewalt 621 plunge router and want to use it in your router table, here's an even cheaper DIY accessory that lets you exploit the DW621's fine height adjustment
http://home.comcast.net/~charliebcz/DW621DooHickey.html
charlie b