Foundation: Act IV

Folks -

Well, for better or ill, the footings are cut for the foundation. The North side trench is okay, it's the southern one that is wide, but I rationalize that it'll just give me more room to work...

There isn't much to show picture wise today, but I'll sort through and post a rogue's gallery of the good, the bad and the ugly by tomorrow...

I was surprised at how much darn dirt came out of those trenches - 'course hav'nm be 6+ inches deeper/wider'll do that...

I checked out compactors and will probably use the smaller one for the trenches and the larger one for the slab - there is a lot of loose material in the bottom of those trenches, so I do have some scut work ahead of me.

The backhoe guy was an old salt of the earth guy... s l o w e s t damn ta aaa a a aaaaa lk er I've come across in a while. While he was working he liked to do two things; take a break, and tell stories.... Lordy! Today, he was cutting a trench and stopped at about

11:30 to have a soda (and it WAS a soda) and he just sat in the shade in on his backhoe until after 1.... So you can see how this fellow might have this former "A"- Type a bit....antsy...

He worked for two solid days, but his bill came to $425 for 8.5 hours work, I thought it was going to end up being a lot more. He spent 3 hours of that total pulling stumps. He had originally quoted me 200 for the footings and he ended up pulling out a step, sidewalk section and several posts, a tree and couple of shrubs, so I'm feeling a little better about it. I still wish he'd played closer head to the cutlines, but it's dooable.

For those of you who may be thinking I'm a hypocritical a*shole because of my earlier rant.... You're right, but goddammit, it's my project! hehehe.... Locally I can't even rent a backhoe from my local Binford Rent-All 2000 for

50 bucks an hour... and I *DOUBT* I could have done what he did in 8.5 hours...

More to come!

John

PS: Mt. Storm overcharged me for some lumber about 2 months ago, and they've agreed to make it right... so tomorrow Wif and I are going to get about $400 in .....something.... I'm thinking some Cherry and Maple...

Reply to
John Moorhead