Found: Waterproof Trays for Watestones

Hi Folks,
I have been on the hunt for the most appropriate accessory to use with my waterstones that is a) portable, b) waterproof or resistant and c) somewhat non-skid. I tried locating the trays I saw used at a recent Shapton demonstration (and what can be seen on their website (www.shaptonstones.com), but didn't have any luck - and for whatever reason the Shapton folks were unable to tell me.
I surfed the web and, well, there was too much information, I also looked at several of the hardware web sites. My wife suggested trying Target. Being the dutiful husband, off I went.
Guess what? I found the perfect accessory to use in Target's Kitchen Goods section. It's produced by KitchedAid and it's called Silicone Bakeware. Basically, it's a 9" X 9" baking pan made from rubberized silicone and it's the right height so as not to interfere with the tool being sharpened. Waterproof? Check. Non-skid? Check. Portable? Check; heck, it can be rolled up.
It works great!
On Sat, 5 Mar 2005 10:59:42 -0500, "news.east.cox.net"

Seems that turnabout IS fair play. From the Washington Post:
"Practicality rules in the restaurant galley, where some tools come straight from the hardware store. A putty knife can make perfect chocolate curls, and simple polyvinyl chloride (PVC) pipe can mold an elegant appetizer. Chefs find such items are often sturdier or less expensive than the designer widgets sold in kitchen stores."
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A62472-2005Mar1.html
Sat, Mar 5, 2005, 10:59am snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (news.east.cox.net) admits: <snip> My wife suggested trying Target. Being the dutiful husband, off I went. Guess what? I found the perfect accessory to use in Target's Kitchen Goods section. <snip>
Couldn't you at least had the dignity to lie, and say you stole it from the kitchen, while the wife wasn't looking.
No, that was the bundt pan - used to draw some radi for a headboard.
(news.east.cox.net)

I've been looking too. I made a sharpening station to hold my stones, sharpening jigs, etc. I have sliding shelves for the 8" round stones, but have not yet found plastic containers for these. I marked a strip of paper indicating the dimensions I need and keep it in my wallet. I've been looking for 5 years in various stores, but I'll check at Target. What I do now allow the stone to dry out before storing it.
On Sat, 5 Mar 2005 10:59:42 -0500, "news.east.cox.net"

The only trouble is that at 9X9, you cannot use the tray if you want to use Shapton's lapping stone/stone holder. It's a bit too big. 9X12 or 12X12 would be a great size.
Len

This gave me the idea, why not build a multi stone pond box out of teak or Ipe? Something a bit heavy that would stay put, T&G joinery, dovetail corners, brass screw clamping for the stones, and you could use a waterproof poly glue or some such... I think I might do this when I get into water stones. Currently scary sharpening myself, but this idea could become a classic.
--
Alex
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com

Sounds neat, just about any design could be done if it's wood, the right wood.
--
Alex
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com