Found: Waterproof Trays for Watestones

Hi Folks,

I have been on the hunt for the most appropriate accessory to use with my waterstones that is a) portable, b) waterproof or resistant and c) somewhat non-skid. I tried locating the trays I saw used at a recent Shapton demonstration (and what can be seen on their website

but didn't have any luck - and for whatever reason the Shapton folks were unable to tell me.

I surfed the web and, well, there was too much information, I also looked at several of the hardware web sites. My wife suggested trying Target. Being the dutiful husband, off I went.

Guess what? I found the perfect accessory to use in Target's Kitchen Goods section. It's produced by KitchedAid and it's called Silicone Bakeware. Basically, it's a 9" X 9" baking pan made from rubberized silicone and it's the right height so as not to interfere with the tool being sharpened. Waterproof? Check. Non-skid? Check. Portable? Check; heck, it can be rolled up.

It works great!

Reply to
news.east.cox.net

Seems that turnabout IS fair play. From the Washington Post:

"Practicality rules in the restaurant galley, where some tools come straight from the hardware store. A putty knife can make perfect chocolate curls, and simple polyvinyl chloride (PVC) pipe can mold an elegant appetizer. Chefs find such items are often sturdier or less expensive than the designer widgets sold in kitchen stores."

igor

Sat, Mar 5, 2005, 10:59am snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (news.east.cox.net) admits: My wife suggested trying Target. Being the dutiful husband, off I went. Guess what? I found the perfect accessory to use in Target's Kitchen Goods section.

Couldn't you at least had the dignity to lie, and say you stole it from the kitchen, while the wife wasn't looking.

JOAT Intellectual brilliance is no guarantee against being dead wrong.

- David Fasold

Reply to
J T

No, that was the bundt pan - used to draw some radi for a headboard.

Reply to
news.east.cox.net

Reply to
Phisherman

The only trouble is that at 9X9, you cannot use the tray if you want to use Shapton's lapping stone/stone holder. It's a bit too big. 9X12 or 12X12 would be a great size.

Len

Reply to
news.east.cox.net

This gave me the idea, why not build a multi stone pond box out of teak or Ipe? Something a bit heavy that would stay put, T&G joinery, dovetail corners, brass screw clamping for the stones, and you could use a waterproof poly glue or some such... I think I might do this when I get into water stones. Currently scary sharpening myself, but this idea could become a classic.

Reply to
AAvK

The Shapton shows a person using a wooden box with a trangular shaped holder that permits the user rotate through the grits by rotating the holder. It's a cool set-up. It seems custom made.

Reply to
news.east.cox.net

set-up. It seems custom made.

Sounds neat, just about any design could be done if it's wood, the right wood.

Reply to
AAvK