Forstner bits

A coworker who knew I liked woodworking came up to me with a set of forstner bits he found while cleaning out his tool area from his dad's stock and asked if I was interested in buying them. I said I would but don't know of a fair price to offer. They are not a name brand that we can find, plus the box and bits are labeled "made in China". It's a 16 piece set with a mix of sawtooth and solid rim bits encased in a wooden box. It appears only one or two have been used and the rest look new. Anyone have an idea what I should offer for this set?
Thanks
SBH wrote:

You can find sets of that size for from $30 to $100+ (and probably at least some on either range outside that as well).
_MOST_ of the Chiwanese are on the lower end of that scale (if not all). The Griz has one set at each end in the old printed catalog I just happened to have close by.
I'd say give one or two a spin and see how well they cut and decide if they're worth $20-25 to ya' cuz' that's probably about where the set came from on the value scale.
scrawled the following:

http://fwd4.me/2zI Maybe $20.
I've been using a couple of the boxed 1903 sets on mostly softwoods. They work fairly well until I hit nails. Handyman work is hell on tools and the old bod, lemme tell ya.
-- "To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson
See what they would cost at Harbor Freight and offer him half of that. They sound like the base quality you can find at HF. Not bad when you need it but not good either. P.S. I shop there all the time but only for certain items. Sorta like the Walmart of tool shops.

A coworker who knew I liked woodworking came up to me with a set of forstner bits he found while cleaning out his tool area from his dad's stock and asked if I was interested in buying them. I said I would but don't know of a fair price to offer. They are not a name brand that we can find, plus the box and bits are labeled "made in China". It's a 16 piece set with a mix of sawtooth and solid rim bits encased in a wooden box. It appears only one or two have been used and the rest look new. Anyone have an idea what I should offer for this set?
Thanks
You can get them rather cheap. I'd probabaly offer $20 if they are in a wood box. When they get dull you can replace them with better bits and still have a nice storage box. . Woodcraft sells a 10 pcs set for $18.99 Their 16 piece is $78. Reality is, you will only ever use a few sizes so buying bits you will never use makes little sense.
"SBH" wrote:

A 12 pack of "Little Greemies" (The Dutch do a great job brewing "Little Greemies") comes to mind.
Lew
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

They're probably similar to HF's 16 piece set selling for $40 new.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber9812
Bits like that are expensive even if he gives them to you. You'll be buying a load of frustration every time you use them.
If you want a set of forstner bits, Lowes has a boxed 14 piece PC set for $50:
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId06070-70-PC1014&lpage=none
Comparing quality, that's a much better deal than HF's. Lowe's also has an 8 piece set for $20:
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId059-70-PC1008&lpage=none