Forstner bits

A coworker who knew I liked woodworking came up to me with a set of forstner bits he found while cleaning out his tool area from his dad's stock and asked if I was interested in buying them. I said I would but don't know of a fair price to offer. They are not a name brand that we can find, plus the box and bits are labeled "made in China". It's a 16 piece set with a mix of sawtooth and solid rim bits encased in a wooden box. It appears only one or two have been used and the rest look new. Anyone have an idea what I should offer for this set?

Thanks

Reply to
SBH

You can find sets of that size for from $30 to $100+ (and probably at least some on either range outside that as well).

_MOST_ of the Chiwanese are on the lower end of that scale (if not all). The Griz has one set at each end in the old printed catalog I just happened to have close by.

I'd say give one or two a spin and see how well they cut and decide if they're worth $20-25 to ya' cuz' that's probably about where the set came from on the value scale.

--

Reply to
dpb

ner bits he found while cleaning out his tool area from his dad's stock and= asked if I was interested in buying them. I said I would but don't know of= a fair price to offer. They are not a name brand that we can find, plus th= e box and bits are labeled "made in China". It's a 16 piece set with a mix = of sawtooth and solid rim bits encased in a wooden box. It appears only one= or two have been used and the rest look new. Anyone have an idea what I sh= ould offer for this set?

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

Thanks

You can get them rather cheap. I'd probabaly offer $20 if they are in a wood box. When they get dull you can replace them with better bits and still have a nice storage box. . Woodcraft sells a 10 pcs set for $18.99 Their 16 piece is $78. Reality is, you will only ever use a few sizes so buying bits you will never use makes little sense.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

On Thu, 05 Nov 2009 14:26:07 -0600, the infamous dpb scrawled the following:

Maybe $20.

I've been using a couple of the boxed 1903 sets on mostly softwoods. They work fairly well until I hit nails. Handyman work is hell on tools and the old bod, lemme tell ya.

-- "To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

Reply to
Larry Jaques

A 12 pack of "Little Greemies" (The Dutch do a great job brewing "Little Greemies") comes to mind.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

They're probably similar to HF's 16 piece set selling for $40 new.

like that are expensive even if he gives them to you. You'll be buying a load of frustration every time you use them.

If you want a set of forstner bits, Lowes has a boxed 14 piece PC set for $50:

quality, that's a much better deal than HF's. Lowe's also has an 8 piece set for $20:

Just Wondering