Forstner Bits

Sorry to clog up the site with another "which is the best XX to buy" request but I did a google search along with a look at Fine Woodworking Online and couldn't find and reviews of forstner bits.
I am looking for a set of high quality forstner bits that will stay sharp and cut clean holes a long time from now. Any recommendations, good or bad?
"Frank Drackman" wrote

I have a carbide set by Freud.
They work for me.
YMMV
Lew

I have many carbide cutting tools made by Freud and I found them very good. However, I had very good result with forstner bits made with genuine Hight Speed Steel (HSS). I have bit made with Carbon steel and HSS comes really on top. Have a look at: http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=1&pB244&cat=1,180,42240.

On Sun, 2 Sep 2007 12:03:21 -0700, "Frank Drackman"

silica in it while other woods have little. You might be able to drill a hundred holes in white pine but maybe 10 holes in some high silica woods. I have saw blades that have stayed sharp for at least 5 years, If I remove the protective coating and saw some wood they may not stay sharp. In any event in the public shop the bits always semed to be dull. The same bits stay sharper in my house shop. Less use and abuse.
*snip*

You mean you let your saws just sit there and don't use them? What do you use to make wood shorter, then? ;-)
Interesting post about the silica, and it does make sense...
Puckdropper

"Puckdropper" wrote:

Think TEAK.
Lew
On Sun, 2 Sep 2007 12:03:21 -0700, "Frank Drackman"

Mine are below average Chinese things.
I'd be interested in recommendations of GOOD ones.

I am also replacing a cheap set, something like 7 bits plus a box for $29.99. I would rather pay more and get a much better set.
"Frank Drackman" wrote
I'm replacing a cheap set, something like 7 bits plus a box for

Then buy the Freud.
About $90 when I bought mine. Add 10%-15%
Lew

plated. Of interest is the design of the cutting edge too. One of my cheap sets is useless and will not bite into the wood, the other is a different design and cuts very easily. I'll go look em up tomorrow and post the name.

Hey David, I have a set from HF that are just as worthless (I bought them in a weak moment - stupid me). Anyway, you can get a little mileage out of that junk heap with a small file. I ran into a desperate need for a couple of sizes and I used a small, triangular file to shapen the center cutters and the circumfrential teeth. It got the job done and didn't even burn the cherry!
Look on AMAZON.COM and search for WOODLINE USA .. .. they have a bunch of items on sale thru Tuesday .. .. including a set of carbide-tipped Forstner bits. I got a set yesterday, and they do as good a job as an expensive Austrian-made set I've had for a few years now, and at a fraction of the cost. I believe the WOODLINE set was about $16-$17 which I couldn't believe !! !! !!
Frank Drackman wrote:

CMT and Freud both make excellent carbide sets. The best tool steel set I've ever seen was made by a company called Connecticut Valley, probably under another name today. They were original pattern (no center spur), expensive as hell, and wonderful.

For those who want HSS bits of the ultimate quality (and price): http://convalco.com/cgi-bin/WebStore/indexNEW.cgi/mi=yes/srchcd `001
Seven bit set is about $174.

I have a few Lee Valley HSS bits, and don't have any complaints whatsoever. Very nice quality. Andy
I got these off eBay
http://cgi.ebay.com/16-Piece-Forstner-Bit-Set-in-Fitted-Wood-Case_W0QQitemZ160152644592QQihZ006QQcategoryZ50383QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
The price was right and they do everything I need, but then again, I am not a commercial shop either.