Forstner bits.

Page 2 of 2

On Oct 9, 5:32 pm, "Rick M"

Hiya Rick!

I'm checking off the ones I want from the LeeValley catalogue...HSS. I have the important one (35 mm) in carbide already. Paid stupid money for it out of the Hafele catalogue. Mind you, it has drilled thousands of hinge-cups in justabout every kind of material and is still just fine.

So kind of you to ask. She had some setbacks but battled her way through. Then she had a 7 hour operation on her neck after which there has been sufficient improvement for her to go home next Thursday. She's not walking yet but has again taken up her first love; painting. The improvements over the last 3 weeks has been nothing short of remarkable. She buzzes around in her chair now and ramps have been built around the house so she'll be able to feed herself, watch her new flatscreen and she will be on-line soon. We are all very encouraged. Her spirits are very high.

You don't need carbide unless you are doing thousands and thousands of holes.

The big benefit of carbide is its temperature resistance and long wear. Big downsides are that it's relatively difficult to sharpen, doesn't take as fine an edge as steel, and is relatively brittle.
Unless I knew in advance that I was going to be doing high volume or working wth some of the hard and abrasive exotics I'd go with HSS.
Personally I've got an old Chinese-made carbon steel set that has drilled everything I've thrown at it and never given me a problem, but I almost always use the drill press and adhere to the speeds marked inside the top of the box lid--they work fine in the hand-held drill but generally if I need Forstner precision I want the precise positioning I can get with the drill press.