Forstener bit or ?

I need to drill 3/4" holes in 1/2" oak and the hole I get with a forstener is what I like, although as I'm covering the hole with a grommet, beauty isn't everything.
Trouble with the forstener is they don't last long AT ALL and I haven't seen anything like a more durable carbide tipped one etc. (?)
Using a spade bit is a pain as they're hard to get true and have to clamp etc.
Maybe I should do a hole saw but what do you think? Need something I can use to do a good quantity, reliably.
Do they make a carbide forstener? Haven't seen anything.
On 7/9/2012 11:27 AM, mkr5000 wrote:

what I like, although as I'm covering the hole with a grommet, beauty isn't everything.

Absolutely. You can get them at most at any cabinet supply, including WoodCraft. Freud makes them for sure.
That said, I've got HSS Forstner's that I've been using for years on oak and they're still sharp.
The key to keeping them (HSS) sharp is running the bit at the proper rpm:
http://www.infinitytools.com/PDF/Forstner_Bit_SpeedChart.pdf
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
On 7/9/12 12:22 PM, mkr5000 wrote:

Probably caused by run-out and it won't improve with a better bit. There should be a set screw on the press, somewhere around the shaft, to tighten up the run-out.
--

-MIKE-

Yes, that or you need to remove the chuck and clean the morse taper, then reinsert the chuck.
BTW a fostener can be resharpened multiple times. Just sharpen the flat, then the bevel, then take the burr off the flat.
I use a small diamond file, 3 or 4 swipes is all it needs of fine and super fine to get it sharp again...
On 7/9/2012 2:31 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

"tiredofspam" <nospam.nospam.com> wrote in message

Or get one of these files. http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/page.aspx?c=&p2954&cat=1,43072,43089 Art
On 7/9/12 11:51 AM, Mike Marlow wrote:

I've drilled some pretty amazing holes with a *new* spade bit.
--

-MIKE-

On 7/9/2012 11:27 AM, mkr5000 wrote:

what I like, although as I'm covering the hole with a grommet, beauty isn't everything.

Probably because of the quality you bought. I have probably drilled 1000 plus holes with a sing 1.375 Forstner bit.

How many holes do you need to drill. A decent HSS Forster should last you a very long time.
Yes there are carbide Forstners but IMHO they are not as sharp and don't cut quite as cleanly as a HSS bit.

what I like, although as I'm covering the hole with a grommet, beauty isn't everything.

True. Try one of the new Bosch Daredevil spade bits though. Absolutely marvelous bit, scary-fast aggressive cut, clean hole!

Sure do. First google hit: http://tinyurl.com/7642xom
-- It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something. -- Franklin D. Roosevelt
On Mon, 09 Jul 2012 09:27:32 -0700, mkr5000 wrote:

Yes, there are carbide ones out there. but I haven't seen excessive wear on any good quality HSS Forstners.
Or try a HSS brad point unless it's a blind hole and the tip might poke through.
Spade bits are for carpenters :-).

mkr5000 wrote:

I had a set of Freud carbide forstners (1/4"-1" & 1-3/8" for Blum hinges).
They worked just fine.
BTW, based on tests run at Cerritos college, forstner bits should be fed as rapidly as possible to get best results.
Have fun
Lew

as I'm covering the hole with a grommet, beauty isn't everything.

more durable carbide tipped one etc. (?)
You mean, that's the trouble with *cheap* Forstner bits. A good Forstner bit should last for years. Either you're using really cheap junk bits, or you're running them way too fast and/or at too high a feed rate.