Forrest WWII

Reply to
Lawrence A. Ramsey

But have you ever used a planer blade, Dave?

Have a nice week...

Trent

Trent©

have YOU ever used a WWII?? (that's my rhetorical question for the day)

dave

"Trent©" wrote:

Reply to
bay area dave

I have a jet contractors saw. I use the 1/8" blade to cut 8/4 purpleheart padouk ebony and such with no problems. it cuts faster then the 1/8" 20t rip blade. the only problem it has is when the wood binds on the blade. the rip blade was not mc uh effected by that.

Reply to
Steve Knight

I have used the Craftsman Hollow Ground Planer blades. They are a flash in the pan and then they get dull. Basically they are ground out thinner between the arbor hole and the teeth. They rub less against the wood. If your hollow planer blades cut better than your other blades, your saw is probably not set up correctly. With a properly set up saw, the wood should not rub the sides of any blade that you may be using.

Reply to
Leon

So...am I understanding you correctly?...

The hgp blade cuts just as well as a Freud?...as long as its sharp?

If so, I'll keep goin' the way I am. I have no problem swapping a little elbow grease on my end with sharpening for that green stuff that's hard to come by! lol

Do you think Freud is better than a Forrest? I'm not sure I've ever seen a Forrest in my area. I'm gonna start payin' attention to blades, I guess.

Thanks for the info.

Have a nice week...

Trent

Dyslexics of the world ... UNTIE !

Reply to
Trent©

Reply to
Mike Hide

Zillions. :-)

They *are* good blades, especially for the price. But there is also a night-and-day difference between those, and a Forrest WWII.

Mostly a case of different people having different preferences, I guess. I'd rather spend my time cutting wood than sharpening blades. I also like the fact that I don't have to take boards through the jointer prior to edge-gluing them. For me, the Forrest is a *major* time-saver, and to me, it's worth the extra money.

It's easy to say "I'm just gonna look, not buy". Sticking to it, once you've seen what's there, may be another matter. :-)

Doug Miller

I get the same xcut results with an " Everlast" blade ,The surface almost shines . But then as I did not buy the blade to give a sanded finish and in cases where glueing up the surface need some roughness to provide a little key for the glue .

There is a difference between Forrest and most other equivant blades, they are generally twice the price . Should you pay those kind of prices who is going to say they got rooked ......mjh

Reply to
Mike Hide

Not in my opinion.

Rockler and Woodcraft sell them.

Doug Miller

Not in our neck of the woods. Woodcraft doesn't carry Forrest blades.

Reply to
Thomas Mitchell

They do here in Houston ... but it's hit and miss whether you'll find the 40 tooth 1/8" WWII actually in stock.

Reply to
Swingman

Buy the Forrest form 3D sales. Shipping in only a couple of days and they are normally the cheapest. I bought a reg. kerf 40 tooth WWII about 3 weeks ago for $101 delivered.

Reply to
Leon

Reply to
Thomas Mitchell

Thanks for the offer, Ed.

Sorry if I misled you and others, Ed...but I do have a carbide blade...that I use on a regular basis. Actually, I have 2 of them...combo blades. They came with my $79 table saw. The blades and the saw are made by ProTech...Lowe's...and, to be honest, I never heard of the company before then.

But I was getting wobbly cuts...and never really had a reason to care...since I was doing only rough-in work. Then I decided to build my first furniture project...a microwave cabinet which I recently finished. It came out really well for my first project...but the planer blade made a big difference in the quality of the work. And I bought a steel blade...Sears...mainly 'cause I'm cheap...and I sharpen them myself.

I'm guessing that the Forrest blades and all the other quality blades only come in carbide now...or better. And I understand that they last longer before going dull.

But I guess I haven't seen where one actually cuts better...when new...than the other. I guess I WON'T see that...until I buy one once and try for myself.

Thanks for all the info.

Have a nice week...

Trent

Dyslexics of the world ... UNTIE !

Reply to
Trent©

I only crosscut on my SCMS. but the difference and accuracy between my freud 80t high end chopsaw blade and the forrest chopmaster is noticeable. the accuracy is the big difference. no real flex in the forrest. Plus it cuts faster too. only a

30 price difference i think.
Reply to
Steve Knight

for me it's cheep. saves me time and improves my accuracy. saves having to run the fresh cut piece over my edge sander or getting a jointer. Plus it will save me sharpenings so it will be cheeper in the long run. My last rip blade lost a tooth. there goes another 40.00 down the drain.

Reply to
Steve Knight

Any idea who currently makes the Craftsman blades?

Have a nice week...

Trent

Dyslexics of the world ... UNTIE !

Reply to