forrest blades and their sharpening service

Page 1 of 2

Any opinions on Forrest blades or their sharpening service? I've had blades sharpened locally but they never seem to be the same afterwards - seem to get pitch buildup quicker and never seem to be quite as good as they were new. TIA.
I send my Woodworker II out to Forrest every now and then to have them sharpen it and it always comes back good as new, seems to stay sharp as well.....my experience with them has been a good one.
Frank

Both the blades and the sharpening service are first-rate. There's no discernible difference between a new blade and a Forrest-resharpened one.
--
Regards,

Get a new service.
Pitch build up has nothing to do with sharpening.
BTW I have switched to a Ridge Carbide blade for the time being. Very Good blade.
Dave

I've use Ridge for sharpening also. My blades (DeWalt and Freud) came back better than new. Fast and reasonable price.
wrote in message

I also use Ridge for sharpening. Forrest blades come back "good as new" and other brands seem to come back better than new.

Can Ridge also reflatten /true a blade?

Teamcasa wrote:

What's their typical turn-around time?
-jav

Dave

Cool. If I decide to change services I have another to fall back on. Thanks

Who is Ridge?
I've got a WW2 blade that I sent to Forrest for sharpening a long long time ago. They said it needed to be trued, so I told 'em to go ahead with that, but when it came back it wouldn't cut a smooth surface. So I just set it aside after 1 cut and went back to my Delta combination blade which *does* cut a smooth swirl free surface. And is sharpened locally on occasion.
I'm hoping Forrest hasn't gone in the dumper since I just took a chance on one of their chopmaster blades for my DW705. Intial cuts look excellent but the truth won't be known until it one day needs sharpening.

Well if you did not contact Forrest about that problem.....who can you blame?

Consider that return shipping could damage a blade. Either way I would have called Forrest immediately about the problem.

as well as my well used Delta combination blade and was about to send it back. I then came upon a used TS Aligner Jr and set up my saw correctly, put the WWII back on and couldn't believe the improvement in cut quality which greatly exceeded the Delta blade. The tight manufacturing tolerances of the WWII doesn't allow for faulty saw set-up, at least in my limited experience.
Gary

In my case, yes, it is my fault for not bringing it to their attention. Mea Culpa.
However, I find that shipping is pretty expensive and inconvenient. Especially since they require that I pay *both* ways. And their sharpening costs more than the local guy. Plus, the less than sterling results suggested that dealing with them for resharpening might be a waste of time.
However, that they didn't do a good job with resharpening and doing the flattening they said it needed meant that I haven't spent any more money with them until this past Saturday. Who's losing out there?
BTW, the WW2 did an excellent job on my saw for quite a while. With the stiffener they recommend. Right up to the point of dullness. That was pretty interesting. It cut great, right up to the end, then it wouldn't hardly cut at all. When it came back it does cut easily, it just leaves that swirly surface.
This is just my experience. Other people experiences are different. Take this with a grain of salt.
On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 21:15:40 GMT, "Leon"

BTW, no one has said who Ridge is.

Ridge is a saw blade manufacturer like Forrest, Freud, Amana.
http://www.ridgecarbidetool.com/
On Wed, 01 Mar 2006 16:34:50 GMT, "Leon"

Thanks

This gets mentioned here every now and then, and the reviews are always good.
--
Talking about art is like dancing about architecture - Frank Zappa

The problem may be that your local service does not straighten or flatten blades. I use Forrest but also ask them to bring the blade back to factory specs. Simply resharpening some times does not result in a good clean cut.