forrest blades and their sharpening service

Any opinions on Forrest blades or their sharpening service? I've had blades sharpened locally but they never seem to be the same afterwards - seem to get pitch buildup quicker and never seem to be quite as good as they were new. TIA.

Reply to
lucky4fingers

I send my Woodworker II out to Forrest every now and then to have them sharpen it and it always comes back good as new, seems to stay sharp as well.....my experience with them has been a good one.

Frank

Reply to
Fingersintact

Both the blades and the sharpening service are first-rate. There's no discernible difference between a new blade and a Forrest-resharpened one.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Get a new service.

Pitch build up has nothing to do with sharpening.

BTW I have switched to a Ridge Carbide blade for the time being. Very Good blade.

Dave

TeamCasa

This gets mentioned here every now and then, and the reviews are always good.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

I've use Ridge for sharpening also. My blades (DeWalt and Freud) came back better than new. Fast and reasonable price.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

The problem may be that your local service does not straighten or flatten blades. I use Forrest but also ask them to bring the blade back to factory specs. Simply resharpening some times does not result in a good clean cut.

Reply to
Leon

I also use Ridge for sharpening. Forrest blades come back "good as new" and other brands seem to come back better than new.

Reply to
Frank Drackman

Can Ridge also reflatten /true a blade?

Reply to
Leon

Who is Ridge?

I've got a WW2 blade that I sent to Forrest for sharpening a long long time ago. They said it needed to be trued, so I told 'em to go ahead with that, but when it came back it wouldn't cut a smooth surface. So I just set it aside after 1 cut and went back to my Delta combination blade which *does* cut a smooth swirl free surface. And is sharpened locally on occasion.

I'm hoping Forrest hasn't gone in the dumper since I just took a chance on one of their chopmaster blades for my DW705. Intial cuts look excellent but the truth won't be known until it one day needs sharpening.

Reply to
George Max

Teamcasa

What's their typical turn-around time?

-jav

Reply to
Javier

Cool. If I decide to change services I have another to fall back on. Thanks

Reply to
Leon

Well if you did not contact Forrest about that problem.....who can you blame?

Consider that return shipping could damage a blade. Either way I would have called Forrest immediately about the problem.

Reply to
Leon

Reply to
Keith

I had a similar problem with a new WWII. I was irritated that it didn't cut as well as my well used Delta combination blade and was about to send it back. I then came upon a used TS Aligner Jr and set up my saw correctly, put the WWII back on and couldn't believe the improvement in cut quality which greatly exceeded the Delta blade. The tight manufacturing tolerances of the WWII doesn't allow for faulty saw set-up, at least in my limited experience.

Gary

Reply to
GeeDubb

I have had nothing but good results with the factory service and won't risk damage to a somewhat expensive blade by having it sharpened locally.

Don Dando

Reply to
Don Dando

Both are somewhat expensive but excellent quality. This is an example of "You get what you pay for."

Reply to
Robert Haar

I would not describe Forrest's sharpening service as "somewhat expensive". Strikes me as being quite reasonably priced -- especially for what you get.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Depends on the shipping. 10 days typical shipping Dave

TeamCasa