Formula needed for displacement

How do you calculate the displacement of a cylinder 22 inches long with a circumference of 12.5 inches.

Reply to
Andrew Walsh

Andrew Walsh nomail wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Well, the circumference is 2 * pi * radius, and the volume is pi * radius * radius * height you do the math.

BTW - how do you remember the value of pi? Wow, I need a drink, alcoholic of course! (count the number of letters in each word)

Reply to
Dan Major

on 8/4/2005 3:55 PM Andrew Walsh nomail said the following:

The volume of a cylinder equals the (area of the base)*height = ? r2 h

I'm not going to do all the math for you but determine the radius the easy way (measure or it) or extrapolate it from the circumference and go. I'd just use 3.14 for pi and let it go at that.

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

Pi r squared H is the formula for a cylinder. 3.1416*3.9788*3.9788*22 =

1094?
Reply to
George

First find the radius of the base with:

diameter = circumference/?

Then divide the diameter by 2 to get the radius, then plug in below

Then use the area of the base (? r2 ) times the height of the cylinder to get the volume:

V = (? r2) (h)

Reply to
Swingman

Sorry ... my characters screwed up: ? is "pi" ... (use 3.14 for pi and you'll be close enough).

Reply to
Swingman

oops. 12.5 / 3.14 = 3.9788 which should be divided by two to give radius.

273.5
Reply to
George

Volume of a cylinder is pi R squared x height. R= C/pi/2

12,5 circumference is a circle with a radius of 1.99 squared is 3.96 times 3,14 is 12.43

Hey is this a trick question ;-)

times 22 is around 273 cu/in

I suppose if you solved it algibraically you would skip a few steps.

Reply to
gfretwell

Well, the area of the circle describing the cylinder is pi*r^2, so to find r we must first determine the diameter by dividing the circumference by pi :

12.5"/pi = 3.97899" (diameter)

The radius then is 3.97899/2 = 1.989"

Then we find the area of the circle described by the cylinder as pi * r^2

1.989^2 = 3.958 3.958 * pi = 12.434 in^2

Every linear inch of the length of that cylinder then is 12.434 in^3, so the cylinder volume is 273.555 in^3

However, displacement perhaps isn't the right word. Most often when discussing a cylinder, displacement means how much volume is displaced when a piston is moved in it, which is a function of the stroke of the piston, not the length of the cylinder.

Or, displacement could also mean how much water is displaced when a cylinder of the size described is placed in it, but that's a function of the weight of the cylinder in addition to the volume and can't be easily determined with the information given.

Which all means I might have missed the point of the question entirely.

Reply to
LRod

V = pi*r^2*h

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

That's easy. Now if I just knew what V was, and r, and h I would have this solved.:)

Thank God some of the other answers were a bit less cryptic.

Reply to
Andrew Walsh

Well, if you can't even figure out that the volume is a functionof the radius and height, I think there's no hope... :(

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

How I wish I could determine pi Eureka! cried the great inventor Christmas pudding, Christmas pie is the problem's very centre.

Reply to
JoeTaxpayer

C = 2Pi*R so R = C/(2Pi)

A = Pi*R^2 = PI * (C/2*Pi)^2 = (C^2) / (4Pi)

V = Ah = (C^2)*h/(4Pi)

Stick in the numbers and calculate.

Method 2: Find a graduated cylinder large enough [or make one] and drop it into some water and measure the increase in volume.

Reply to
Guess who

For the finest conversion program in the world, you can't beat Prokon. Try it for free, if you like it $20.00 is not bad . . .

Steve DeMars

Pi are squared? No, pi are round, cornbread are square!

Reply to
John DeBoo

If you have a 4 function calculator - Take the 1st 3 odd digits and double them up thusly - 113355 Then divide thusly: ____

113|355 The ascii art is probably not going to show correctly but should show 113 divided into 355.

The result is correct to 0.00000027, or about 0.1PPM.

Art

Reply to
Wood Butcher

Turn to page 355 of Lee Valley's Handyman-In-Your-Pocket reference book, Andy, old chap. V = (1/6) pi D3 = 0.5235988 x D-cubed.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Heart Attacks: God's revenge for eating his little animal friends --

Comprehensive Website Development --

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Nothing cryptic about if for 7th or 8th grade math students. Ok, a hint, V = volume. Just think about what the others may be and you can solve it.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Get a third grade math book, then read and understand it.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett