Formica

I suppose anything is possible. But is all plastic laminate considered postforming?

Reply to
Leon

If it can be used for things that are not flat, it is postformable. I imagine there is non postformable formica - but the "form" in "formica" WAS because it was "formable"

Reply to
clare

Not even close:

Etymology of the name The mineral mica was commonly used at that time for electrical insulation. Because the new product acted as a substitute ?for mica?, Faber used the name ?Formica?

Reply to
Spalted Walt

Regardless, on the Formica site it indicates all of their high pressure laminate products are postformable.

I had heard it was named Formica because unlike mineral mica insulation, it was "formable" mica insulation.. Looks like I was probably misinformed on that count.

My assertion that it was a melamine resin finish is however supported.

Reply to
clare

I'm thinking post, after the fact, formable.

Reply to
Leon

PostFormable laminate is flat laminate sheets that can be "post formed" into things like countertops with the anti-drip round edge, and the low back-splash like found on most kitchen and bath countertops, among many other things.. It is heathed and formed to shape and glued to a (usually manufactured lumber) substrrate.

Reply to
clare