Formaldehyde Free Plywood at HD

Page 2 of 3
On 2/9/2010 5:52 AM, LDosser wrote:

I kinda like this one:
http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/Projects/PanelCart /
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

That's what I'm talking about!!

Playing innocent there Morris? :) Of course, your's is the one I remember.
On 2/9/2010 2:03 PM, Upscale wrote:

There are others nicer than mine, but it's difficult to beat the price of a couple of 2x4s and a 2x6.
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Morris Dovey wrote:

Whether you use expensive wood or cheap wood, the idea is "priceless"! :)

This one? http://www.shopnotes.com/plans/3-ways-to-better-handle-sheet-goods /
Doesn't quite fit the description, but I think the cart could be modified to be an infeed table if desired, with some swing down legs.

I think that is the one I remembered. Looks like I imagineered the infeed table part ...
Morris' cart is much better!

The trick is having 8 feet available in the front and 8 feet clear on the backside, which means you should have 16+ of clear space. Ply is unlikely to kickback, but it is prudent to have a splitter installed and make sure the ply edge remains in contact with the fence during the cut.

What did not occur to me until after I posted, since I haven't bought much plywood, is that what I was looking at was surely not "exterior grade"--I recall seeing some formaldehyde-free exterior grade plywood online once, and it was around $80 a sheet, and just available to wholesalers. Still it's nice to know that HD has the interior grade plywood.
Bill
How well does interior grade plywood hold up in a garage? My garshop drops to about 30 degrees, but the concrete floor probably gets cooler. Among other things, I was thinking of putting some plywood under a drill press. I assume that the interior grade stuff would probably be fine for jigs and things like that--how about a router table?
Major snow storm expected to start here in the next hour or two (4 to 8 inches)---think spring!!! : )
Bill

If you cover it with melamine or similar. As is, it has too much stiction.

So you are saying that it would maintain its structural integrity?
Bill
Bill wrote:

Does it get wet? If not then it will do fine.

Would you use a plywood surface for a router table?
LDosser wrote:

If its covered with melamine or the like. I used MDF on mine--it works fine.

Any wood stored under cover where it will not get wet will be fine. However, it is better to store ply flat. Router tables should have a flat and slick surface such as MDF, topped with formica.
On Tue, 9 Feb 2010 00:59:00 -0500, the infamous "Bill"

Most of us prefer Baltic birch for jigs and such. Ply would be fine on the floor if it remains dry, but most ply is stable to really cold negative temps.

A hefty rainstorm started here an hour ago. We had bursts of wind to 8 knots and we're expecting a full quarter of an inch of precipitation!
-- In order that people may be happy in their work, these three things are needed: They must be fit for it. They must not do too much of it. And they must have a sense of success in it. -- John Ruskin, Pre-Raphaelitism, 1850
You can with a outfeed table like this:
http://home.att.net/~mboceanside/wsb/media/163729/site1011.jpg
But a safer and easier approach is still saw horses and a circular saw with a home made jig.
http://www.woodworkingtips.com/etips/etip022500wb.html
Make two jigs: (1) 96" (2)48" in length.
I even like the 4x8 piece of foam on the floor and a circular saw.
Bill wrote: Question: Can I, with a partner, safely cut a full sheet in half

On 2/9/2010 1:55 PM, Pat Barber wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCCdGAxz7M8&NR=1

Someone had to say it! ;)

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

And you did!
Tell me, how is that Festool gizmo working out for you? ;-)
I looked at the Festool router demo at the above site. Apparently this router has a special feature I have not seen on any other router. It plays music!! And when routing, the music gets louder! How did they put THAT into the router?