Usually the stuff at the top of the can is the actual solvent that
evaporates IIRC. The stuff on the bottom is what actually stays on the
floor and provides protection after cured.
It would seem to me that it should have dried rather quickly but then again
you are using a Minwax product.
Minwax poly or Waterlox urethane (the two I'm most familiar with) have
nothing to stir in the gloss versions. There is no separation of
resins and solvents as I see with phenolic varnishes like Waterlox
Original or Gymseal.
The goop on the bottom is a flattening agent and nothing more.
Without stirring, subsequent finishes will be lower and lower sheens,
down to the last few, which will be dead flat. <G>
It really should have just been gloss poly that you applied because all
the flattners had settled out. If it isn't dry, there is some other
Yes, Mineral Spirits to remove and try again with a new batch maybe.
No air circulation could explain it not drying. Open a window or get a
fan on it. The stuff at the bottom of the can is what makes gloss poly
If it does dry, and I think it will, sand it really good before the
next coat (of properly mixed poly :-) ) and I don't think you'll have
any more problems.
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.