Forgive me for I have sinned

About 10 or 20 years ago (I don't know, it's been awhile) I bought a little Sears benchtop table saw. Not as light as you describe, but these were still fairly new then. I've been dreaming of replacing that saw ever since, but I have built bookcases, birdfeeders, fences, display cases, and last Summer a whole 8' by 19' green house using that little table saw. The greenhouse project involved cutting dadoes down the length of lots of 2X4 red cedar. Most pieces needed a dado on two sides. It took a little longer to do it that if I had a contractor's saw (or even a real cabinet saw), but I was careful with the setup and took my time and it got done. I found the blade height adjustment would slip if I tried to feed stock too fast.

I am now planning to reward myself with a Ryobi BT3100 for Christmas. Although I sometimes thing a drill press and/or band saw might be better. My wife seems to like the idea of a drill press for some unkown reason. She has her own hobbies, and I'm almost afraid to find out what she is thinking of doing with a drill press . . . ;-)

Anyway, don't talk yourself into hating the little saw. Figure out how to get the most out of it and you will be much happier. You will also appreciate your next saw all that much more.

Bill Ranck Blacksburg, Va.

Reply to
ranck

There is a lot of wisdom in picking up that little saw. By getting it now, and getting some work done on it you may find that it does all that you need from a saw (at least for now) and lets you move onto something else. On the other hand, it could prove to be entirely inadequate, but teach you what you will need to look for on your next one. It's pretty bad when you spend a ton of money on a tool and find out that you needed a feature that it can't have.

I would bet that you find that the little saw will pull its own weight even after you get the good one.

Michael

Reply to
Herman Family

sure, you would download the source and build it yourself too!

irax.

Christ>>My router really *is* a piece of crap. Went through the same tune-up

Reply to
Iraxl Enb