Forged Craigslist scam checks

Page 4 of 6
On Sat, 18 Apr 2009 12:30:31 -0500, -MIKE- wrote:

Evidence was destroyed, the scanning will not pick up the techniques used bt a good check forger.
--
Froz...

FrozenNorth wrote:

What the heck is your point?
--

-MIKE-

That's why he said "Newer technology combats this"
Maxwell Lol wrote:

That's why *I* said that. :-)
--

-MIKE-

-MIKE- wrote:

One of my clients was printing checks on an inkjet printer with water soluble ink. I warned them that this was dangerous and that they should use a laser or impact printer for checks. They wouldn't listen. One rainy day I managed to drop my mail in the gutter. It included a check from them. When I opened the envelope I found that the check was blank except for the signatures. I took this in and showed it to their CEO and reminded her that there was well over a million dollars in that account. She ordered a laser printer right then and there.
On Apr 18, 6:58am, Ignoramus14774

interested, I would use the internet to find the police in Brooklyn where the funds were to be sent, and notify them. I would think they would be interested in anyone in their jurisdiction.
Dan

I believe that the Brooklyn address means nothing at all. All he wants is the Western Union transfer number to get money, he could be in Nigeria or anywhere else.

so, next step, make up a WU transfer number

Do you have a sample MTCN?

See Len's answer above.
Why jerk yourself around when the various authorities are in place and, supposedly, protecting us from this kind of fraud. OR are the all standing at airport scanners telling people to take off their shoes? I got a letter and check from some bunch of clowns in Ontario a few weeks ago. I'm waiting to see if there's any investigation or crossborder cooperation.

If the check was mailed to you, contact your local Postal Inspectors office. Using the U.S. Mail to commit fraud is a serious Federal offense, and they don't care if whoever sent it is in another state.
Len
Ignoramus14774 wrote:

Check with your bank and see if they will do an immediate electronic transfer of funds from the other bank of that check. They may charge a fee but it would tell you right away if the check is bogus. I have done that in the past to insure that the check was legit. The banking rules in each state are different and in some states you can even stop a certified check or bank check but better have a good reason.
John

I already know that the check is bogus. I am not sure what is the point to pay anyone to tell me the same thing.
:> Check with your bank and see if they will do an immediate electronic :> transfer of funds from the other bank of that check. They may charge a :> fee but it would tell you right away if the check is bogus. : :I already know that the check is bogus. I am not sure what is the :point to pay anyone to tell me the same thing.
Perhaps you could find a bank in Nigeria that would cash it.
Poetic justice, and all that.

Ignoramus10355 wrote:

Got a TV station in your local market with an "Investigative" reporter?
If they don't want the story, they know who will follow the trail.
Lew
He mailed it to you?! He didn't use FedEx?? That means you can call meanest law enforcement officers in the Federal Government! The United States of America Postal Inspectors. I've never invoked them but I have used the US Mail on occasion so that I would have that option. Postal inspectors take mail fraud seriously.
Bob S
On Sat, 18 Apr 2009 00:58:35 -0500, Ignoramus14774

No, he Fedexed it. It was sloppy wording on my part.

On Sat, 18 Apr 2009 15:22:50 -0500, Ignoramus10355

Oh, this whole thing just screams fraud.
If nothing else, call the bank/company that the "check" is written on, if they have the real account numbers and routing codes off a stolen check they *might* want to close that account and open another - because the scammers WILL try again, and again, and again...
If you want some fun, try baiting them along for a while. /You/ piss in /their/ Wheaties for a change. Invent a cockamamie story about how "the check never got here" or "The neighbors signed for the package and stole it themselves, stop that check and send me another..." and get them to re-send it USPS. Then you can let loose the Postal Inspectors on them.
--<< Bruce >>--

Send the check back. Tell him you want the money via Western Union.

My nomination for best damn response!