Forged Craigslist scam checks

It is always possible that the check is genuine in the sense that it is a stolen genuine check or a genuine check for an account created for the scam w/ ISF.

Unka' George [George McDuffee]

F. George McDuffee

That's right, my wife had her paycheck bounce and we were charged $27.00. You get charged if you bounce a check or someone give you a bad check and you deposit it in your account. The thing to do is if the check is written on a bank with a branch in your area, go there and just cash it. If there is enough money in the account you get paid. If there isn't enough money in the account, you don't get paid.

Richard W.

Reply to
Richard W.

On Apr 18, 6:58=A0am, Ignoramus14774

I would start with a local branch of Well Fargo. If they are not interested, I would use the internet to find the police in Brooklyn where the funds were to be sent, and notify them. I would think they would be interested in anyone in their jurisdiction.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

If the check was mailed to you, contact your local Postal Inspectors office. Using the U.S. Mail to commit fraud is a serious Federal offense, and they don't care if whoever sent it is in another state.

Len

Reply to
Len

Oh, so the check may be stolen, that would explain it.

Ignoramus10355

It's very common for criminals to get their hands on checks with valid signatures, bleach out the "pay to" and "amount" sections and write in other names and amounts.

Newer check producing technology combats this.

Reply to
-MIKE-

I believe that the Brooklyn address means nothing at all. All he wants is the Western Union transfer number to get money, he could be in Nigeria or anywhere else.

Ignoramus10355

While that is true in theory, it doesn't work out in practice, bank clearing procedures are going digital, the front and back of the check is scanned, then the check is destroyed. Just a digital image is being transferred between financial institutions.

Reply to
FrozenNorth

One of my clients was printing checks on an inkjet printer with water soluble ink. I warned them that this was dangerous and that they should use a laser or impact printer for checks. They wouldn't listen. One rainy day I managed to drop my mail in the gutter. It included a check from them. When I opened the envelope I found that the check was blank except for the signatures. I took this in and showed it to their CEO and reminded her that there was well over a million dollars in that account. She ordered a laser printer right then and there.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Hmmm, it's worked for years in practice. Visit any prison to ask how it's done.

That would fall under the newer technology I mentioned that combats it.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Evidence was destroyed, the scanning will not pick up the techniques used bt a good check forger.

Reply to
FrozenNorth

What the heck is your point?

Reply to
-MIKE-

Check with your bank and see if they will do an immediate electronic transfer of funds from the other bank of that check. They may charge a fee but it would tell you right away if the check is bogus. I have done that in the past to insure that the check was legit. The banking rules in each state are different and in some states you can even stop a certified check or bank check but better have a good reason.

John

Reply to
john

He mailed it to you?! He didn't use FedEx?? That means you can call meanest law enforcement officers in the Federal Government! The United States of America Postal Inspectors. I've never invoked them but I have used the US Mail on occasion so that I would have that option. Postal inspectors take mail fraud seriously.

Bob S

Reply to
Bob Summers

Nope - that's a scam.

Reply to
cavelamb

so, next step, make up a WU transfer number

Reply to
Bill Noble

No, he Fedexed it. It was sloppy wording on my part.

Ignoramus10355

Do you have a sample MTCN?

Ignoramus10355

Do the local cops after international crooks? Not likely.

Reply to
Maxwell Lol

AFAIK You buy the blank checks, and use a special cartridge that is magnetic for the account number. I'm not sure if a laser printer will work.

Reply to
Maxwell Lol