Forged Craigslist scam checks

Page 2 of 6
" snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com" wrote:

That's still faster than depositing it yourself, and not as tiring., ;-)

On Tue, 21 Apr 2009 08:52:50 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"

Prezactly.
On Sat, 18 Apr 2009 20:43:11 -0400, Gerald Miller

First I've heard of that. Sounds like you may have gotten a new, inexperienced teller. A bank cashing a check drawn by one of their depositors is performing a service for their customer, not for you.
Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA

I ran into something similar back in '62, in NYC. Deposited my paycheck in a Chemical Bank branch in the Wall St. area. Got uptown and realized I was nearly broke. Tried to cash a check at an uptown bank and got turned down.
Closed out the account Monday. I haven't trusted a bank since.

I had quite a few others' checks bounce and my bank did charge me.

That could be.

This is a "Wells Fargo" check. I am 100% sure it is fake. Here's the latest email from the "buyer" (the asking price for the item was $600):
``Hello I***,
Thank you getting back to me promptly. The reason for the amount $2850 is because of the shipping. You are to deduct the money for the item and send the rest to my shipper through WESTERN UNION and as soon as you send me the necessary information and my shipper picks up the funds.He will pick up the item in a day or two as he will be shipping it with my other items. Send the rest to this person through WESTERN UNION.
*NAME :J**** T**** ADDRESS :1448 E 58 St Brooklyn, NY 11234*''
Ignoramus14774 wrote:

Take the entire transaction packet to cops or just throw it away--there's absolutely no point in anything in between. Whether the local cops can do anything is doubtful 'cuz undoubtedly you're not in NY. The other choice is the State Atty Gen'l or their fraud squad who follow this stuff.
This is so rampant it's not possible for them to track them all. Story on national news just a couple days ago -- the folks in your position that get used and fall for this can be in a real spot as well -- the banks definitely will come for the money and if checks are written that don't clear because they've withdrawn the funds you're responsible, not the guy who gave you the bum check for those and lots of other bad consequences.
Getting involved to begin w/ was pretty silly imo...

Ignoramus14774 wrote:

Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Ignoramus14774 wrote:

Nope - that's a scam.
Ignoramus14774 wrote:

Guaranteed scam, the poor slob is Brooklyn is being paid to redirect packages elsewhere, probably overseas; odds are he'll end up getting burned too. Such scammers are even using very convincing (but fake) Postal Money Orders so their victims think there's no way it could be a scam, but it is.
I'd take this to the police fraud squad, or if the Postal Service is involved to the Postal Inspector. At least they can have the cops in Brooklyn alert the re-shipper he is unwittingly being used in a criminal enterprise.

Post Office will not be involved. Note how he wanted Western Union to do the transaction. Mention Post Office and they will tell you "NO!" in a panic. One I dealt with wanted to do it in person ?? send a courier. So I mentioned the Post Office...NO way.
Rick Samuel wrote:

Figures, the Postal Inspectors are hard-asses, them and Customs have powers the cops only wish they had.

That's perty much the e-mail I got.
Ignoramus14774 wrote:

My idiot ex-father-in-law did. Three of them, all from an "insurance company", all bounced.
Now the bank is suing him for the $48,000+ they are out and he'll wind up with still another lien on his house. The bank will collect when he dies and the house is sold *IF* the house sells for enough to cover the more senior encumbrances and their 48 large. Since he is 80 the bank may find out soon. I hope so.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

Don't those scams typically involve a "Cashiers" or otherwise certified check or money order? I'd estimate the probability of it being a scam somewhere in excess of 99.99%.
Assuming: a) I had any idea that the transaction might be satisfactorily completed (< 0.01% probability), b) there was no other potential buyer anywhere in sight, and c) I was desperate to rid myself of the item
Then I'd: Notify the seller that I would not accept a check and would ship only after my bank notified me that a wire transfer of funds had been received and if he wished me to make any payments to 3rd parties, my fee for the fiduciary service is 10% of the purchase price for each payment made.
I did that once just for the fun of it when some guy wanted me to ship a 100# propane tank from Kansas to England. Apparently he didn't see the humor in it since he never replied to my note.
Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA

I have no doubt that the check is fake, but I wonder about something. The "issuing" bank is Wells Fargo. Why would it take so long for the check to be found forged? Why not a day or two?
On Sat, 18 Apr 2009 00:58:35 -0500, Ignoramus14774 wrote:

Contact your local authorities with the story, and see if they're interested. It's your duty as a citizen -- see if they'll do their duty as cops.
--
http://www.wescottdesign.com

Do the local cops after international crooks? Not likely.
On Sat, 18 Apr 2009 00:58:35 -0500, Ignoramus14774

Rule #1: You can't defraud an honest man. If you get greedy, that's when you get burned - you want to believe.
If it was me, I'd see if there is a branch of the bank the check is drawn on anywhere nearby you can go to and cash it directly - and if they won't hand you the cash money right now, "that's okay - make a copy of the check, and when you are certain that it's good I'll come back and we can exchange the original check for the money."
The bank CAN stop a "Cashiers Check" if they claim fraud, so that's not an acceptable exchange substitute.
If they do cash it but they take a fee for you being a "non-customer" just subtract that from what the guy wants you to send to "his shipper." And if it proves to be a fraud, frame it on your office wall for a reminder.
Local law enforcement and the local District Atty. CAN do something about it, the problem is that first you have to get them out of the Donut Shop or Starbucks long enough to do it... ;-)
--<< Bruce >>--
Bruce L. Bergman wrote:

Everything Bruce says...
I've been told that a deposited check in your account can still be disputed up to 60 days later. The only thing good is cash from the issuing bank.
Let the Record show that Ignoramus14774
00:58:35 -0500 did write/type or cause to appear in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

    So what? It is amazing what you can do with a good quality printer these days.
    If you suspect it is a forged check, take it to the authorities. Start with a bank - either the one the check is drawn on, or yours. Depositing it can cause all sorts of troubles ... for you.
good luck
pyotr - pyotr filipivich We will drink no whiskey before its nine. It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!