For you math wizards

Page 1 of 4
I need to draw an arc for a piece of trim. The end points of the arc are 5 feet apart and the depth of the arc at the center point is 2 inches. What is the radius of the circle?
There ought to be an equation for this that would be far superior to trial and error, oui?
Larry

http://www.ehow.com/how_7846775_radius-arc.html
http://mathcentral.uregina.ca/QQ/database/QQ.09.98/riddleberger1.html
http://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_base/Radius_of_an_arc.html
On 4/15/2013 10:14 AM, Gramp's shop wrote:

feet apart and the depth of the arc at the center point is 2 inches. What is the radius of the circle?

R"6" according to Sketchup.
On 4/15/2013 11:38 AM, Leon wrote:

Trigonometry concurs. :)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguarino/8651887015/in/photostream/lightbox/
Thanks to the O.P. for a pleasant lunchtime puzzle.
On 4/15/2013 1:41 PM, Greg Guarino wrote:

It was more fun to try to work it out for myself, but I just looked it up and there is (of course) a more direct way to find it.
Radius = H/2 + W^2/8H
Where H = the height of the arc (2") and W= the width of the base (60")
In our example that's:
2/2 + 60^2/8(2)= 1 + 3600/16 = 1 + 225 = 226
Greg Guarino wrote:

Greg, We both drew the same picture. How much math background do you have (if you don't mind me asking)?
Bill
On 4/15/2013 3:26 PM, Bill wrote:

little calculus in college. That would all have been in the '70s.
"Leon" wrote in message
On 4/15/2013 10:14 AM, Gramp's shop wrote:

R"6" according to Sketchup. ==========================================================================My calculator says that your program is right.
On 4/16/2013 7:57 PM, CW wrote:

I'm glad you were able to verify the accuracy of your calculator. ;~)
On 4/15/13 10:14 AM, Gramp's shop wrote:

According to those cool calculators, 18'10".
--

-MIKE-

Hah! Now all I need to do is figure out how to draw an arc with an 18 foot radius :-) I have a couple of ideas and will post pix of the process.
On Monday, April 15, 2013 10:14:29 AM UTC-5, Gramp's shop wrote:

feet apart and the depth of the arc at the center point is 2 inches. What is the radius of the circle?

On Mon, 15 Apr 2013 09:10:54 -0700, Gramp's shop wrote:

Bend a piece of thin cutoff around the points?
carrying a cross.
On 4/15/2013 12:43 PM, Larry Blanchard wrote:

produce an arc of a circle. Will it matter? Might the resultant curve be subtly nicer than a circular arc? That's up to the designer.
My plan exactly, Larry. I'm going to start with drilling screws into the waste side of the end points and the top of the arc, attach a thin strip of one-by with spring clamps and then add a couple of screws/clamps along the arc.
The other Larry
On Monday, April 15, 2013 11:43:27 AM UTC-5, Larry Blanchard wrote:

"Larry Blanchard" wrote in message

+1
On 4/15/2013 11:10 AM, Gramp's shop wrote:

feet apart and the depth of the arc at the center point is 2 inches. What is the radius of the circle?

!8' string with a pencil died around one end. Nail in the ground on the other end.
Or use sketchup to print out a template.
On 4/15/2013 12:20 PM, Leon wrote:

An 18 foot radius template?
On 4/15/2013 12:47 AM, Richard wrote:

Did he say wanted the full circle or the 5' arc?
Leon wrote:

He said he wanted the 5' Chord!